*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
It looks like the weight's drifting over your toes, and you're not going deep enough.
Your head is in a vertical alignment, while your back is tilted, so your going to curve your spine. You need to try and let your head stay in a neutral position
try watching this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP1ne7A8O6I

That looks to be a low bar squat (which is what I'm suggesting I switch to). High bar I believe the head stays up?

Soldato
Regardless of the squat type you don't want a difference in the angle of your neck and back.
If you keep your back more vertical, like your head's wanting to be, then you'd be keeping your weight further back and that would stop you rocking onto your toes so much.

Soldato
even though it's never been picked up by a professional.

This really doesn't mean anything. Having bad posture might not be what they were looking for or you might not even have an extreme case outside of the normal.

Take a side on video of yourself with no load on your back squatting and post it here. That will give quite a clear view from start to finish if you appear to have APT / general posture issues.

Soldato
This really doesn't mean anything. Having bad posture might not be what they were looking for or you might not even have an extreme case outside of the normal.

Take a side on video of yourself with no load on your back squatting and post it here. That will give quite a clear view from start to finish if you appear to have APT / general posture issues.

Okay, will do. Thanks a lot guys.

Associate
Has anyone else tried bodyweight/calisthenics type stuff and found it just doesn't work for them? As in, the programmes and ideas are fine but I've done it twice now (this time using gmb and I really quite like their mobility stuff), but maybe it's because I'm just a lazy piece of the proverbial, I can't stick to them. I've only ever managed to get good progress doing things with heavy things in a gym and the moment it comes to doing so at home, 3 days a week becomes 2 plus 1 sometimes, then 1 day a week and then eventually all memory of working out is forgotten :(.
Been climbing twice a week fairly regularly the last 18 months or so which has been good but even that, life gets in the way. Hurt my shoulder again last week (only a bit) which has galvanised me to get up off my backside and pick up heavy things again.
Tl;dr I'm lazy and haven't done any strength training for ages because I'm a scumbag. Going to the gym tonight though.

Soldato
Has anyone else tried bodyweight/calisthenics type stuff and found it just doesn't work for them? As in, the programmes and ideas are fine but I've done it twice now (this time using gmb and I really quite like their mobility stuff), but maybe it's because I'm just a lazy piece of the proverbial, I can't stick to them. I've only ever managed to get good progress doing things with heavy things in a gym and the moment it comes to doing so at home, 3 days a week becomes 2 plus 1 sometimes, then 1 day a week and then eventually all memory of working out is forgotten :(.
Been climbing twice a week fairly regularly the last 18 months or so which has been good but even that, life gets in the way. Hurt my shoulder again last week (only a bit) which has galvanised me to get up off my backside and pick up heavy things again.
Tl;dr I'm lazy and haven't done any strength training for ages because I'm a scumbag. Going to the gym tonight though.

Happy lifting!

I think for me the structure of a SL program is really helping me keep it up.

Soldato
Has anyone else tried bodyweight/calisthenics type stuff and found it just doesn't work for them?

The best programs are the ones you can stick to consistently. I can't get the same satisfaction from calisthenics as i do with weights and cables. I do well with body weight stuff and hitting certain milestones is great but i could not dedicate more than a few sets towards body-weight stuff a session.

Free-weights and cables i can/do as much as my body and free time allows. I just get a better feeling of progression and if a part of my body lags behind, i can add some supplementary exercises and focus on making my weakest exercise into my favourite.

Soldato
I hate doms and do not miss them. It is the thing I most hate about taking periodic rest weeks (usually for holidays). That said, my joints/tendons need a rest now, I'll take a break end of July.

In other gym related news, gym girl now approaches me for a conversation. I'm not sure if she knows whether I am married or not. Given how much everyone else stares at her though, I am definitely gaining man points :D

Hah so do I, but it does remind you that you've been working hard. I bailed on tonight's session as I feel like arse. Next one won't be until Friday unfortunately, and then I'll just have a week before the OP. So I'll be getting some serious muscle pain!

Lucky you! I had one or two follow me on Instagram but I don't think that's quite the same thing :|

Man of Honour
I'm not sure I'm explaining myself very well.

The way a low bar squat is performed makes it impossible to hyper extend your back (concave).

I agree that there is possibly a fundamental issue with my posture in general (even though it's never been picked up by a professional).

If it helps here is a vid of me attempting to high bar squat last night:

This makes my brain hurt.

There is nothing intrinsic about low or high bar squat that makes anybody arch their backs: the bracing is effectively the same.

What you are basically saying is that you are struggling to brace your core correctly in relation to the movement of your hips as you descend, but the low bar position makes it easier for you to wrap your head around the movement.

I suspect the actual problem is that your glutes don't actually work when you high squat, probably because your toes are pointed out as much as they are and your feet are too close together. Low bar squatting may make it easier to wrap your head around what you have to do, but you are going to have to face up to and correct your posture problems at some point, or that pain will not go away for long...

Associate
The best programs are the ones you can stick to consistently. I can't get the same satisfaction from calisthenics as i do with weights and cables. I do well with body weight stuff and hitting certain milestones is great but i could not dedicate more than a few sets towards body-weight stuff a session.

Free-weights and cables i can/do as much as my body and free time allows. I just get a better feeling of progression and if a part of my body lags behind, i can add some supplementary exercises and focus on making my weakest exercise into my favourite.
Preach. I got the best gainz towards bodyweight stuff (e.g. First one arm press ups and working on one arm pull up) when I was lifting weights.

Rant time - new gym has a Smith machine and no squat rack, why do this?! It's 5 mins walk from home though so can't complain.

Soldato
This makes my brain hurt.

There is nothing intrinsic about low or high bar squat that makes anybody arch their backs: the bracing is effectively the same.

What you are basically saying is that you are struggling to brace your core correctly in relation to the movement of your hips as you descend, but the low bar position makes it easier for you to wrap your head around the movement.

I suspect the actual problem is that your glutes don't actually work when you high squat, probably because your toes are pointed out as much as they are and your feet are too close together. Low bar squatting may make it easier to wrap your head around what you have to do, but you are going to have to face up to and correct your posture problems at some point, or that pain will not go away for long...

I'm not trying to be awkward, I'm genuinely trying to fix everything based on all the advice you guys are giving!

Can anyone recommend any ordered steps I can take when setting up etc for performing squats? I have watched endless videos online but it's obviously not helping.

I'm also, as suggested, going to get a video of me squatting with no bar tomorrow so you can check my posture.

Soldato
I'm also, as suggested, going to get a video of me squatting with no bar tomorrow so you can check my posture.

You do realise this is something you can (and should) do at home and get posted here asap. Creepy part, if you do it without a tshirt on it will be even easier to see whats actually going on with your back as well.

Stop trying to jump ahead and plan out the movement pattern etc all at once. Start from the beginning and wait to move forwards.

Man of Honour
I'm not trying to be awkward, I'm genuinely trying to fix everything based on all the advice you guys are giving!

Can anyone recommend any ordered steps I can take when setting up etc for performing squats? I have watched endless videos online but it's obviously not helping.

I know you're not trying to be awkward. :)

Depending on what you post - and given unlimited time, I'll watch the videos people ha e linked - and see what you're being told vs. what you're doing.

Simply put : the way you brace your core for low or high bar is pretty similar (aside from some variations in humeral alignment), sooretty much the only reason you are hurting with high bar is because your technique is suboptimal. And that is relatively easy to fix (in person).

Caporegime
Decent session at the gym tonight and the last week of 5 reps for a while.

Even though my weights are massively down on what they were a few years ago I'm still stronger than I expected, after having so long off, so I've increased my end of year targets from 140kg squat and 100kg bench to 180kg and 140kg.

Deadlifts on Friday but I'm pretty confident I can be pulling 200kg by the end of the year now.

Enjoying life in the gym again :)

Soldato
Nice one, bet you're pleased with that!

Man that's heavy, I'll never be pulling/pushing that much weight but that doesn't matter, so long as I keep progressing. The day I become the guy who needs to be the strongest/biggest/leanest guy in the room will be the day I stop enjoying it :)

Last edited:
Soldato
It's good to have goals, though. Mine for this year are to double body weight on squat and deadlift, and body weight on bench press. I'd hope to get to body weight on OHP as well, so I think I'll probably exceed it on bench. BW is 90 kg so we'll see what happens!

Soldato
Are you trying to high bar or low bar squat?

if low bar, watch this: https://youtu.be/nhoikoUEI8U

That looks to be a low bar squat (which is what I'm suggesting I switch to). High bar I believe the head stays up?

Is there a reason you want to high bar squat? Low bar is loads better, much more stable imo. Doesnt look like your back is hyper extending to me in your vid, youre just more upright.

Try low bar, sit back, follow the steps in the vid above.

Soldato
Is there a reason you want to high bar squat? Low bar is loads better, much more stable imo. Doesnt look like your back is hyper extending to me in your vid, youre just more upright.

Try low bar, sit back, follow the steps in the vid above.

Honestly? I'm not really fussed which one I end up doing. I'd like to be able to perform both properly though. Low bar squats look cooler to me for some reason though. :p

Back
Top Bottom