Some advise on my current system

Associate
as the title says realy looking for some advise on my current system looking to future proof and wondering what should my next upgrade option shoould be

i7 6700k 4.8ghz
16gb DDR4 3200MHZ Corsair Vengence
MSI Carbon motherboard
500gb Samsung Evo 960 nVme 4tb segate 5200rpm
MSI Geforce 1070 (2060 overclocked core)
650w evga moduler psu

The pc is fine as for 1080p but starting to feel the 6700k is getting long in the tooth and want to up the res up in games

If i was to upgrade a budget of around £1500 (this is flexable tho) cpu mobo extra ram? new cooler and gpu ? and some quite fans bot bothered about RGB

Associate
6700k is more than enough for the foreseeable, if you are wanting to up the res you will need to look at a new graphics card / monitor if you don't already have one. Your £1500 budget would likely suit a 2080 / 144Hz panel of some kind? Maybe an ultrawide?

Associate
OP
Cant remember the model but its a samsung 1080p 24inch va panel

so graphics card and monitor is the better option? just worried about these new cpus with there much higher core/thread counts dont want to be left behind with a 4c/8t cpu

Associate
Cant remember the model but its a samsung 1080p 24inch va panel

so graphics card and monitor is the better option? just worried about these new cpus with there much higher core/thread counts dont want to be left behind with a 4c/8t cpu

GPU and Panel will be a nice upgrade, the higher the res the less strain on the CPU and more strain on the GPU.

6700k is no slouch and will be fine for a long while - I've not noticed any major differences going from:

4790k -> 1700x -> 2700x - 8700k - the 4790k would still have been absolutely find for the res I play at.

Associate
OP
Currently playing doom will be picking up doom eternal also picked up the Xbox for windows game pass so going on to metro exodus

Also world of Warcraft but that’s not much of a power house lol

Associate
OP
Just noticed the power needed for 2080 650w I do have a decent one but wondering I should go for a newer higher power can work it into the budget

Soldato
No sense to shackle yourself to be slave of one super greedy company.
Also Intel is joining discrete GPU game in next year, so in two years GPU situation can be completely different.
This will give variable refresh-rate with any graphics card:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...actical-gaming-monitor-hdmi-dp-mo-000-gi.html
(of course depending on if you have currently VA panel, IPSes doesn't do that well with dark images)

As for graphics card maybe release of AMD's Navi card's in fair ten days could bring some bang per buck improving changes to graphics card.

Associate
Personally i would forget the rather lackluster 2080 (for the price) and go AMD for freesync saving a ton of money in the process.
The 5700 anniversary edition wont be far from the 2080 performance wise but a lot cheaper and the monitor will be as well.

Nearly 1500 big ones for just a second tier video card and monitor is taking the pizzle if you ask me.

Associate
OP
This seems to be getting a bit more complicated lol never really thought about amdand free sync

Power supply I think is evga650 gold 80+ Will have to take a look after work in the morning

I guess we are in the wait and see part of the year

Back
Top Bottom