Putting my computer in another room.

rn2

rn2

Associate
Hello, well as the title says!

I am very sensitive to sound when it comes to my computer. My next system will be an i9900k with an rtx2080ti and rather than spend money and time trying to get the computer quieter and it likely still annoying me in some way afterwards I am going to have the computer away from me.

I saw Linus do this with a 10m thunderbolt cable but I am not sure how he connected the monitor.

https://youtu.be/NshXgisNly4?t=701

Thank you.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Long monitor cable whatever connection you have and a long usb cables for mice and keyboard (if it's not wireless that is).

There's nothing difficult to understand about moving your pc away.

You might also be able to buy a box that does it all via one cable. I've seen it done before but forgot what hardware you need.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
I edited my original post.

I am just trying to get my head around how he connected the monitor up.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Yes I am still learning about how to get it all fed into the same cable like you said, some of my information in my original post is probably a bit off.

It seems that I can buy a hub that is all in one and connect it to my computer using one USB/C cable but I would have to install a card into the system to be able to connect it.

Show me what that product is please so I can check it out.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Show me what that product is please so I can check it out.

Whenever I link to a product on here it gets deleted so here is a list..

Thunderbolt Optical cable it costs £200-£245 and is used to connect the HUB where all the peripherals are plugged into and then you connect the other end of this cable to the thunderbolt card you install into your computer.

So about £280 all together, pretty expensive if I go down that route or like you said run the monitor and usb cables and just cable tie them together, looks a bit messy but a lot cheaper :)

After reading reviews about the cable itself it isn't worth that money so I will go down the route you stated although I don't think the length of the cables cause lag and it is more so about interference.

Last edited:

J.B

J.B

Soldato
Depending on the resolution and refresh rate of your screen, a long HDMI or DP cable will probably solve this problem. The reason Linus uses a thunderbolt cable is because he is gaming at 4k and 100Hz, so needs the bandwidth.

It really depends how far aware you are talking. If you are a super serious gamer then any distance is going to add input lag, that's just physics.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Depending on the resolution and refresh rate of your screen, a long HDMI or DP cable will probably solve this problem. The reason Linus uses a thunderbolt cable is because he is gaming at 4k and 100Hz, so needs the bandwidth.

It really depends how far aware you are talking. If you are a super serious gamer then any distance is going to add input lag, that's just physics.

Well I game on a 144hz 1440p.

I ahve read that there is no noticable lag if you invest in a good cable...

The USB extension cable I was looking at is 10m 2.0 and isa quad extension cable...

• This USB 2.0 extender hub is with built-in signal booster chipset, which assures peak performance with minimum loss of signal quality. You can daisychain up to 2-3pcs USB active extension cable to reach longer distance
  • Premium triple-shielded (foil/braid/ground) cable provides maximum EMI/RFI protection and superior signal quality. It features gold-plated USB A connectors with gold-plated copper contacts to ensure excellent conductivity

But I think 5m would be enough.

Last edited:

J.B

J.B

Soldato
Well I just did a quick Google and it looks like you can get a 25 feet DP cable for just over a tenner so you could probably wrap this project up for around £30. As long as you don't mind multiple wires trailing.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Well I just did a quick Google and it looks like you can get a 25 feet DP cable for just over a tenner so you could probably wrap this project up for around £30. As long as you don't mind multiple wires trailing.
To be honest I couldn't care how bad it looked after seeing the price of that thunderbolt cable lol, thank you for that. I will test some 10m cables out on the system I have now in the near future.

J.B

J.B

Soldato
The advantage of the thunderbolt cable is you can get all your signals down one neat cable, and it's super nerdy! I don't think you could do this with copper TB though, only optical as my understanding is the signal at 40Gb/s will drop off pretty quickly over copper lengths.
I've ran 1080p at 60Hz over a 20m HDMI without any issues but that wasn't for anything super taxing. I think the important thing here is going to make sure you get a cable at the right standard - either HDMI 2.0 or DP 1.4 to make sure you can reach your desired resolution and refresh rate. Come back and comment how you get on.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
The advantage of the thunderbolt cable is you can get all your signals down one neat cable, and it's super nerdy! I don't think you could do this with copper TB though, only optical as my understanding is the signal at 40Gb/s will drop off pretty quickly over copper lengths.
I've ran 1080p at 60Hz over a 20m HDMI without any issues but that wasn't for anything super taxing. I think the important thing here is going to make sure you get a cable at the right standard - either HDMI 2.0 or DP 1.4 to make sure you can reach your desired resolution and refresh rate. Come back and comment how you get on.

Yes but I read the cable doesn't last long and only has a year warranty so that just proves that.

Well I should be okay at 5-10m I will let you know :)

Soldato
You only need 2 cables. One for display to your monitor the other for USB into a hub for your keyboard, mouse, what ever else.

Your monitor likely has a hub built in already.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
You only need 2 cables. One for display to your monitor the other for USB into a hub for your keyboard, mouse, what ever else.

Your monitor likely has a hub built in already.

I found a 10M Active usb cable with tripple protected sleeving which you can plug 4 2.0 USBs into the hub, not that I'd need that many but it's only £16. Apparently it being an active cable fixes any signal issues so it can run 10M no problem :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't be spending anything on the USB side until you've got the video working.

USB is never going to be a difficult problem to fix for mouse and keyboard.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
I wouldn't be spending anything on the USB side until you've got the video working.

USB is never going to be a difficult problem to fix for mouse and keyboard.

Yes, the more I look into the video side the less likely it looks like it will work. I will never game over 1440p at 144hz though.

Don
I would spend it on watercooling.

Personally, I have a 5v/12v fan switch. Turns all fans from silent mode to 'gaming mode'

I have headphones on when playing games do don't care about the fan noise. All Noctua fans. It was about £100 for fans and £6 plus solder etc for switch.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
I would spend it on watercooling.

Personally, I have a 5v/12v fan switch. Turns all fans from silent mode to 'gaming mode'

I have headphones on when playing games do don't care about the fan noise. All Noctua fans. It was about £100 for fans and £6 plus solder etc for switch.

It seems that I will be going down the dp-dp fibre optic route. It will probably cost me but there are some cheaper websites to order from. I wouldn't want to put a water cooler into any system. At least if I do it this way I don't have to worry about noise at all. I spent over £100 on the system I have now getting it as silent as possible, it took a long time too

Last edited:
Soldato

With modern PWM fans there isn’t even a need for this, it can all be programmed in the bios. Fans can even be turned off.

If you need to serve media 24/7 then stick it on a dedicated NAS. There is no need to leave a powerful gaming rig going all night, particularly if it’s in a room you sleep in.

Back
Top Bottom