Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Update, it is now up 9.6% since opening from mid-January (it was 10.6% last Friday), if it keeps up to the end of the year hopefully it will hit 20% which would be amazing. I am only hoping for an average of 8% annually so it is already ahead of the curve.

That's really great going!

We need to talk soon, interested to hear how you have spread it out

Soldato
@booyaka or anyone else

What's a good platform for a SIPP? My brother in law was a financial advisor so i'd moved some old pensions over to him to help him get started and build up a portfolio. He passed away last October and i'd like to regain control of it. Likely to just stick it in a couple of funds but not sure which platform is worth using.

I do have a few open accounts with HL but i know they're not the cheapest.

Commissario
Asos shares have dipped quite a lot for me recently which is a shame, however my 3 funds are all up since investing in them a few months ago:
  • HL Select Global - up 4.5%
  • JPMorgan Emerging Markets - up 2.5%
  • Lindsell Train Global - up 9.9%

Soldato
@booyaka or anyone else

What's a good platform for a SIPP? My brother in law was a financial advisor so i'd moved some old pensions over to him to help him get started and build up a portfolio. He passed away last October and i'd like to regain control of it. Likely to just stick it in a couple of funds but not sure which platform is worth using.

I do have a few open accounts with HL but i know they're not the cheapest.

Sure - Leave it with me. I know some platforms are adviser only options (Standard life, Elevate to name but 2) - I use these 2 a fair bit for clients.

Ballpark amount in your SIPP?? Trust me if you don't want to disclose on here - Only reason I ask is a lot of platforms are tiered pricing based on amount invested.

Mod - I ain't fishing for business - just trying to help out!

Soldato
Not a huge amount to be honest, around 20k in each of mine and my wifes plans. It's currently with Parmenion but having looked at it, i've made about 3% over 2 years which seems pretty awful. Need to find out the exit fees too.

We both then have work pensions. Mine with Scottish Widows and hers is a standard Nest one. Not sure whether i should just stick the balance into each of those respectively or whether to create a SIPP for each of us. We're unlikely to be topping them up due to both paying into our work pots.

Associate
Asos shares have dipped quite a lot for me recently which is a shame, however my 3 funds are all up since investing in them a few months ago:
  • HL Select Global - up 4.5%
  • JPMorgan Emerging Markets - up 2.5%
  • Lindsell Train Global - up 9.9%

Similar here, without the HL Select Global, I think that fund needs more time to bed in before I'd throw anything at it

Soldato
I've posted my holdings before in case it's useful to anyone. They've changed a bit since my last post as I sold my Latin America fund (nothing but trouble down there atm though I did break even). That was fairly recently and it all went into Marlborough Nano-Cap Growth instead hence no/low change there.

I also don't have HL Select Global but as you can see Lindsell Train Global Equity is off the charts! That's since August 17 so approx +1.86% pm. One of my criticisms of HL is the lack of columns/data/analytics; for example there's no gain/loss per month, or annually, etc. It makes the overall total % kinda redundant as well because it's just a mean average, so any new trade instantly lowers it quite substantially which obviously isn't useful or indicative of historic gains/losses.

A3zm10U.png

Caporegime
I've posted my holdings before in case it's useful to anyone. They've changed a bit since my last post as I sold my Latin America fund (nothing but trouble down there atm though I did break even). That was fairly recently and it all went into Marlborough Nano-Cap Growth instead hence no/low change there.

I also don't have HL Select Global but as you can see Lindsell Train Global Equity is off the charts! That's since August 17 so approx +1.86% pm. One of my criticisms of HL is the lack of columns/data/analytics; for example there's no gain/loss per month, or annually, etc. It makes the overall total % kinda redundant as well because it's just a mean average, so any new trade instantly lowers it quite substantially which obviously isn't useful or indicative of historic gains/losses.

A3zm10U.png

It's interesting that your overall percentage is 12.92% after almost 2 years (August 17) for a more stock orientated investment where as I am on 9.76% currently after 5 months (Jan 19) for an index fund. Perhaps Warren Buffet is onto something that an index fund is the way to go.

Soldato
One of my criticisms of HL is the lack of columns/data/analytics; for example there's no gain/loss per month, or annually, etc. It makes the overall total % kinda redundant as well because it's just a mean average, so any new trade instantly lowers it quite substantially which obviously isn't useful or indicative of historic gains/losses.

Ah, I was thinking this today. I just topped up £2000 in my funds today and was scratching my head to try and figure out performance over the last six months with my investments. It's not great is it? In the end, I went for the 3rd and 4th best performers (and also lowest holdings) as figured there may be more room to see improvment but it's very much a punt!

These are my holdings (before my trades today). Woodford screwing me over nicely, but it's not a huge amount - my holding in my biggest success (Malborough Special Situations) is 5 times my Woodford holdings.

I like a G&T hence the Diageo & Fevertree - made a healthy bit on Fevertree but didn't sell at the right time and it completely fell apart.

51JFmU7.png

It's interesting that your overall percentage is 12.92% after almost 2 years (August 17) for a more stock orientated investment where as I am on 9.76% currently after 5 months (Jan 19) for an index fund. Perhaps Warren Buffet is onto something that an index fund is the way to go.

Bah, should have read this before buying today. I think you're right. Index fund is probably a sensible option for me next top up round (probably in 3 months) - HSBC FTSE 250 INDEX CLASS S - ACCUMULATION is at 267.74p today. Let's see what it does in 3 months and how much waiting around has cost me...

Soldato
What is your gain in percentage? Interested to know.

Over what period? Like I said HL don't provide you with any further data/analytics etc. 4 of those funds were invested in in Aug 2017, 4 a year later, 2 at ad-hoc points, 1 swapped about a year ago and 1 a few days ago.

I'm not overly fussed, they're all long-term (unless falling from the off) and I'm happy if they earn more than a savings account.

Caporegime
Over what period? Like I said HL don't provide you with any further data/analytics etc. 4 of those funds were invested in in Aug 2017, 4 a year later, 2 at ad-hoc points, 1 swapped about a year ago and 1 a few days ago.

I'm not overly fussed, they're all long-term (unless falling from the off) and I'm happy if they earn more than a savings account.

So what does that 12.92% figure mean?

Caporegime
I did say that it in my first post :p. "It makes the overall total % kinda redundant as well because it's just a mean average"

But that is the rate of return, it is as close the a ballpark as you can see at a glance at least. I get that if you weight in more on a stock that has risen the most then you would have profit more but given that if you place the weight evenly across all the ones that you hold, then that is the rate of return?

Soldato
But that is the rate of return, it is as close the a ballpark as you can see at a glance at least. I get that if you weight in more on a stock that has risen the most then you would have profit more but given that if you place the weight evenly across all the ones that you hold, then that is the rate of return?

Yeah but it means that if I invested the same total amount in another fund today, the return % would halve. It's not incorrect, it's just not particularly useful.

Soldato
Not a huge amount to be honest, around 20k in each of mine and my wifes plans. It's currently with Parmenion but having looked at it, i've made about 3% over 2 years which seems pretty awful. Need to find out the exit fees too.

We both then have work pensions. Mine with Scottish Widows and hers is a standard Nest one. Not sure whether i should just stick the balance into each of those respectively or whether to create a SIPP for each of us. We're unlikely to be topping them up due to both paying into our work pots.

AJ Bell are the cheapest for smaller pots - Elevate, Standard Life are IFA only which is the main ones I use for clients.

Combining the pots is usually a good idea for simplicity but I have no idea what fund choice is on offer with your works pensions/charges etc.

Back
Top Bottom