How can i find my systems bottleneck?

Associate
Hi ya, Im running an i5 4670k @4.1ghz on all 4 cores and a GTX 1080. 16Gigs of 3800MHz RAM.
Im trying to figure out where my bottleneck is as im suspecting the CPU because of its age and might upgrade? I ran GPU-Z and windows performance Manager and ran Ghost recon wildlands at 3440x1440 but both the GPU and CPU were at 100%. Im unsure how i go about figuring this out?

Soldato
Hi ya, Im running an i5 4670k @4.1ghz on all 4 cores and a GTX 1080. 16Gigs of 3800MHz RAM.
Im trying to figure out where my bottleneck is as im suspecting the CPU because of its age and might upgrade? I ran GPU-Z and windows performance Manager and ran Ghost recon wildlands at 3440x1440 but both the GPU and CPU were at 100%. Im unsure how i go about figuring this out?

I use a combination of Afterburner and HWINFO64 to monitor my rig.

If you're seeing 100% usage on both CPU and GPU then they're both being bottlenecked.

Associate

Use the on-screen display of MSI Afterburner whilst you're gaming to see the CPU and GPU usage.
https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner

That's some mightily impressive DDR3 RAM you've got there by the way.

Permabanned
The game's recommended system requirements state an i7, so that would be my guess too, but let's get some more info first..

What FPS are you getting?
What quality settings are you using in-game? Specifically anti-aliasing.
How much of your VRAM is being used?
V-sync on/off?
What is the refresh rate of the monitor?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies so far. To answer Billy Sielu's questions...

What FPS are you getting? - Average of 60 FPS
What quality settings are you using in-game? - Settings mostly high and very high. Turned off long range shadows Subsurface Scattering, bloom etc...
Specifically anti-aliasing. - Temporal AA
How much of your VRAM is being used? - just over 4Gb in game
V-sync on/off? - OFF
What is the refresh rate of the monitor? - 100Hz

The talk of the new ryzen CPU's has made me think of upgrading if they turn out to be as good as they seem.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies so far. To answer Billy Sielu's questions...

What FPS are you getting? - Average of 60 FPS
What quality settings are you using in-game? - Settings mostly high and very high. Turned off long range shadows Subsurface Scattering, bloom etc...
Specifically anti-aliasing. - Temporal AA
How much of your VRAM is being used? - just over 4Gb in game
V-sync on/off? - OFF
What is the refresh rate of the monitor? - 100Hz

The talk of the new ryzen CPU's has made me think of upgrading if they turn out to be as good as they seem.

That’s a new Mobo, new ram and new CPU.

You’d be better off buying something like a second hand 4790k imo, shame you don’t have access to the MM.

Last edited:
Soldato
That’s a new Mobo, new ram and new CPU.

You’d be better off buying something like a second hand 4790k imo.

I wouldn't say so, which is the opposite to what I'd usually say. However, with the Ryzen 3600 looking very good, DDR4 RAM prices so low, and the backward compatibility with a B450 board you could spend <£350 for a fantastic upgrade that will see the OP through a good few more years. Sadly 4790K's still sell for ~£140-175 which just is not worth it any more, given what is on offer for not much more, couple that with the fact you can easily sell the 4570K, mobo, and RAM for £120-150. :)

Soldato
I wouldn't say so, which is the opposite to what I'd usually say. However, with the Ryzen 3600 looking very good, DDR4 RAM prices so low, and the backward compatibility with a B450 board you could spend <£350 for a fantastic upgrade that will see the OP through a good few more years. Sadly 4790K's still sell for ~£140-175 which just is not worth it any more, given what is on offer for not much more, couple that with the fact you can easily sell the 4570K, mobo, and RAM for £120-150. :)

Fair point mate. Makes me sad I paid a lot of money for my 4600 32gb Kit.

Soldato
I was in a similar situation, albeit a 4.5GHZ 3570K on a 1440p100Hz monitor with 1600Mhz ram.

Even though the min FPS showed 60 in BF1 & witcher 3 with high GPU usage the experience wasn't great as the CPU was just not enough for the 1080.
Adding more threads with an i7 made things smoother but the mins were still kinda low. Upgrading to a 5820K and DDR4 hugely improved min FPS and everything was smooth as butter - still is.

Obviously the 5820K is outclassed massively nowadays but if Ryzen 2 is half as good as people say it will be then upgrading to it will be massive experience improvement.

Back
Top Bottom