*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Soldato
You are right I’m used to it and like it so it’s noticeable to me. However I do believe I’ve read in reviews that the playbase has more bass than the playbar

Soldato
The beam is actually not that small once you see it in front of you - but like all Sonos home theater products - without the sub, they have little bass.

I'm a bit of a bass whorer I must admit - so when I turn off the sonos sub and just have the playbar and ones playing - they sound flat like a pancake, the bass levels without the sub don't sound much different to just using my TV's inbuilt speaker

I've the full 5.1 setup with the Beam. There's still plenty of bass without the sub imo. I found the sub provides good sounding base while allowing the rest of the speakers to open up the mid/high range. It adds somewhat moarrr bass, but much more than that it adds refinement. One of the fun things about Sonos - each additional unit adds to the overall quality. If I had a smaller living room I'd probably live without the sub personally.

Soldato
Fair enough.

The Sonos system is incredibly powerful.

I've got my Sonos volume settings around 5 to 7 out of 100 at all times.

If I turn the volume up to 50 and play music, the house's windows starts rattling and I feel nausea. And this is with the Sub on 60% power, and System volume 50/100. I've never gone any higher

Anyone who is prepared to max out the volume and sub levels on their Sonos system has some seriously balls

Man of Honour
Anyone who is prepared to max out the volume and sub levels on their Sonos system has some seriously balls
Last party I had someone did this in a room I call the 'bass room', it's a medium-size room with a Play 3 and a Sub. They whacked up the volume and put on Pendulum. You could feel it across the house. Epic.

I don't think they got to max volume but they got very close.

Associate
So I just finished setting up my Beam but I have a small problem. I use "cast to device" on Windows 10 to stream movies to my Sony TV and the movies which are DTS won't output any audio. I knew that before buying the Beam but I thought that it was converted to stereo. Everything else sounds fine.

Is there like a setting I need to change on my PC/TV in order to get audio from DTS movies?

Man of Honour
AFAIK they will need to be transcoded somehow, using something like Plex. That's why I've never pursued Sonos as an AV solution outside of the bedroom.

Man of Honour
I don't know, I've only tried Plex with Sonos. If you use a device which can bitstream DTS it won't play unless you change it in the settings. But if you use a Plex app on the TV or something which can't bitsteam DTS, the Plex server will transcode the audio to AC3 or DD I think. Plus the USB stick into what?

Soldato
What TV is it? I found a problem with my Samsung that it will send DD to the Beam - but only if the audio originates from the TV itself. Any signal from another device it refuses to pass through. I ended up having to get a HDMI switch and connect all devices to the Beam directly to get the best sound.

Soldato
Here's an odd question, and I can't be very specific about it because I've not spotted the pattern myself yet...

I almost exclusively use the SONOS stuff to play from my music library on my PC, and often use my iPhone as a remote basically.

Almost always this involves going into the SONOS app to control. But very occasionally the phone will tie itself in to the SONOS stuff better, and the control centre on the phone will display what the SONOS is playing and allow you to control the volume directly.

It's hardly a big deal opening the app, I've just been trying to understand why this is happening.

Associate
What TV is it? I found a problem with my Samsung that it will send DD to the Beam - but only if the audio originates from the TV itself. Any signal from another device it refuses to pass through. I ended up having to get a HDMI switch and connect all devices to the Beam directly to get the best sound.

It's a Sony XF9005.

Back
Top Bottom