Seat Cupra ST 300

Associate
Well, it is a big old barge with a hot hatch engine. :p

Leon ST 300 - 1557kg, Cupra Ateca - 1615kg, sure neither of these are lightweight, but actually not that heavy for a car these days, that said the car we are looking to replace is a 2 ton diesel from Korea (a Craptiva) which has better throttle response and better steering feel despite its mass.

The 280bhp Stelvio performed better in most regards, a front end that works rather than fall to mush, shame it is not as cheap at the Ateca.

Permabanned
Leon ST 300 - 1557kg, Cupra Ateca - 1615kg, sure neither of these are lightweight, but actually not that heavy for a car these days, that said the car we are looking to replace is a 2 ton diesel from Korea (a Craptiva) which has better throttle response and better steering feel.

The 280bhp Stelvio performed better in most regards, a front end that works rather than fall to mush, shame it is not as cheap at the Ateca.

Ah, not that lardy then. Does it have driving modes, like comfort/sport etc?

Soldato
Where do you go to for lease deals?

We live in London so for most of the time, the car is one big depreciating asset sitting on the drive. However we need to drive to Dover and Dorset a lot and at my early middle aged status, I can't face doing that in a 13 yr old corolla anymore!

The dilemmaof burning money for convenience or suffering and saving the cash has been an 18m problem
Because keeping your current car and dropping 30k on a new car are the only options :confused:

Associate
no mention of the giulia veloce there? very fun car, weighs less than the fiesta ST, handles like a dream and has 280bhp to play with
arguably impractical rear boot for needs tho. I looked at one, lovely car, but the boot is only a small flap and not a full hatchback (like the Octavia or i30N fastback), so lugging a bike or 2 in and out of it regularly would be a pain and start to damage the car.

Stelvio is more mtb friendly, but it's not going to be as good to drive.

Associate
Stelvio drives really well, still has the auto delay from standstill like the DSG but was much more responsive in gear out of bends etc, felt RWD rather than massively FWD as its front end is very responsive but still I wouldn't want to put bike in the back of it or any of these really small hatchbacks they are not that big, a rear mounted towbar carrier much less hassle particularly if you can't clear off mucky bikes, will attach to any size car.

On the i30 N Hyundai won't sell you a tow bar, or fit one despite being tow rated :rolleyes: but you can get one.

Associate
A
arguably impractical rear boot for needs tho. I looked at one, lovely car, but the boot is only a small flap and not a full hatchback (like the Octavia or i30N fastback), so lugging a bike or 2 in and out of it regularly would be a pain and start to damage the car.

Stelvio is more mtb friendly, but it's not going to be as good to drive.
Ah sorry I missed that. Yes the boot space isnt great. I really like the i30n but havent been able to test drive one yet

Associate
Stelvio drives really well, still has the auto delay from standstill like the DSG but was much more responsive in gear out of bends etc, felt RWD rather than massively FWD as its front end is very responsive but still I wouldn't want to put bike in the back of it or any of these really small hatchbacks they are not that big, a rear mounted towbar carrier much less hassle particularly if you can't clear off mucky bikes, will attach to any size car.

On the i30 N Hyundai won't sell you a tow bar, or fit one despite being tow rated :rolleyes: but you can get one.
I guess it's the sports exhaust/diffuser on the N models that prevent their official mount to fit.

If the OP is happy with an estate then I'd far prefer leaning that way instead of bikes on a towbar carrier (or the roof). Decent MTB bikes cost a few k, so I feel a LOT happier with them inside the car than outside... Means I can stop at services, shops, etc. without constantly worrying about them on display, exposed and easier to steal... If the bikes are dirty then I just roll out some tarpauline that I have tucked away in the boot, easy. I have a couple Thule roof mounted bike carriers, which i only use if I have to, but alongside the theft concern they also have an annoying 50mph limit in the small print (which I imagine most/all do, even if most ppl ignore this) - just don't really want my bike bouncing down the motorway.

Associate
No its not that, Hyundai Germany will do it from the dealer, it is UK that don't want to touch it. (I've been trying to get the missus out of an SUV into one of these but she said it was too childish :D hence looking at Ateca etc.)

I understand that concern I put a couple of electric Haibikes on mine that are a few grand, I know I'm a cheat :D but I find no joy in going up hills, down is the fun bit :D After years of putting bikes in the car, whacking them on the back to me is better, I just lock them up.

Associate
I have owned a Cupra St for the past 10 months, 2 year lease working out at £290 a month.

The plus points for the car are that it is very practical, I have 3 young kids and find there is plenty of room for them. It is also certainly very quick, I note a comment about lag on the engine but I think as mine has loosened up (5000 miles now) this isn't as apparent, although the car does noticeably take off after 4000 rpm. It is also surprisingly good on fuel and will do an indicated 40mpg on a run and 25mpg around town.

Downsides are that on mine build quality is ok just. I do have a few rattles around the door areas and there is a bit of engine vibration that comes up through the seat. Mine is the 2wd version and it really struggles with traction when accelerating in first and second unless you are on bone dry tarmac. Also the ST versions exhaust is very quiet, you wouldn't know you were in a performance car which will suit some people I suppose. Steering feel is non-existant as well.

Overall I am happy with it for the money I am paying, I do think they look better than the equivalent Golf R estate and you can't argue with the spec you are getting.

Soldato
OP
I'm on the "bike in car" side of the spectrum. I'm petrified of bike rack coming loose or, if using a roof rack, dropping the bike on top of the car.

I did look at a Guilia Veloce - lovely car but not great for bikes unfortunately.

RE the new car Vs used discussion. I'd be happy with used if I could get an extended warranty. The appeal of a new car is the fact that it is hopefully worry free for 3 years, whereas with used the warranty window is smaller/gone.

That lease deal for the Cupra ST sounds amazing. How did you find it?

Associate
It was actually available for £279 a month at the time from English dealers but I am in Northern Ireland so haggled with the local dealer and got him down to £290.

IMG Seat Warrington have the 5dr DSG advertised on a 3 year deal for £299 so might be worth giving them a shout to ask what the ST is, I wouldn't have thought it would be much more.

Associate
on a towbar a bike rack is solid, its not some dodgy strap on thing, this tow hitch also carries my caravan 1500kg, my bikes 3 of them weigh loads due to motors etc, but nowhere near that nose weight, try and pull the bike off, you move the car :D

Anyway each to their own, on the car front if you are after worry free motoring

Hyundai and Alfa are 5yr warranty.
How about a Kia Stinger has a hatchback, a 7yr warranty, apparently goes well, not driven one yet to comment.

Try carwow for some deals, you can get pcp offers, think the 280 Alfa came in around £200 on 8k mileage last time I looked.

Can't type for toffee
Don
deffo shortlist and drive them all, a few on your list is what I'd be looking at
A nice estate with AWD and a bit power in the front would be nice

Then once you've decided which you like jump on carwow and whack a request in but certainly do consider nearly new too :)

As for roof rack, I fitted thule feet and bars, 2x bike racks and a roof box, extra storage and 2 bikes with us.
Whilst not as secure as the towbar based option I have no concerns about driving wiht the bikes on top.

There's actually a cracking deal on Halfords eBay atm:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thule-Ve...le-Carrier-3-Bikes-Rack-Lockable/192663911883

Use Code PURE20 for 20% off :) and it'll come in at £287.96

Associate
I've been after a new car for about a year and a half (budget up to £35k) ; the difficulty has been marrying my desire for something fast and fun with the fact that I mountain bike and need enough room to carry stuff!

Having driven
- Octavia vrs estate
- superb estate
- BMW 140
- ford focus rs
- GT86; and now
- Cupra ST 300

I think we have settled on the Cupra. It is going to be about £28k new and seems to tick all the boxes of
- fast
- enough space
- nice sound system

Am I missing a trick here? Any seat or Cupra horror stories?[/QUOTE

I have had my st300 DSG FOR 8 months and its the best car I have ever had. The dual clutch I love it to bits. So many options to play with and to keep it in sports mode stiiffens up suspension and stiring for cornering and the pace is great....or just sit it in comfort mode knowing you can knock it down to sports anytime its great. Motor cruzing very comfortable effortless. You can keep it manual if you like and use the paddles on the steering. Its not a big car like the Audi avants just big enough.
Dont like the noise it puts through the speakers in Cupra mode though...why would they do that?. No farts from the exhaust unless you get rid of the back box. Some like to hear a louder exhaust though. Not for me Im past that

Soldato
OP
Yeah we bought a pre-reg one for £26k about 2 months ago. Absolutely love it; powerful, so comfortable and excellent entertainment unit. Really delighted with it

Associate
How about a Honda Civic Type R?
It's in the right price range, practical hatch, and fun to drive.
Styling admittedly is a bit subjective.

Back
Top Bottom