Sim racers - what are you running?

Associate
I don't really like the G29 to be honest, doesn't feel very realistic to me and as I do a bit of racing in real life, I'd like my Sim experience to be as close to reality as possible. I don't care about getting the best times as much.

Look for used OSW setups as quite a few people are getting the new Simucube 2 systems. You should be able to get a 20nm MiGe for 500-600. The OSW will last you many years and the firmware/software will continue to be supported.

If you can drive competently in real life, it'll feel great and natural right way.

Associate
Would it be worthwhile spending the extra and going for a fanatec DD wheel? In other words going for something that has way more support and compatibility? If it means spending £2k all in for wheels, pedals and shifter for something I'd never have to upgrade I would consider it.

This is the one I was looking at:

DD Base:
https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/wheel-bases/podium-wheel-base-dd1-eu-1.html

Wheel:
https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheels/clubsport-steering-wheel-bmw-m3-gt2-eu.html

Pedals:
https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/pedals/clubsport-pedals-v3-eu.html

Shifter:
https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/shifters/clubsport-shifter-sq-eu.html

Total incl. VAT £1,899.01

Last edited:
Soldato
Really wanting to get into racing sims myself. I like the look of F1 2019, Project Cars 2, Assetto Corsa and possibly some Kart sims.

What rig would you guys recommend? Don’t mind spending for good hardware but wouldn’t want to get something that I wont appreciate the benefits of. Settled on a sim labs rig, seat and monitor stand but I need advise on the wheel and pedals.

Last edited:
Associate
Really wanting to get into racing sims myself. I like the look of F1 2019, Project Cars 2, Assetto Corsa and possibly some Kart sims.

What rig would you guys recommend? Don’t mind spending for good hardware but wouldn’t want to get something that I appreciate the benefits of. Settled on a sim labs rig, seat and monitor stand but I need advise on the wheel and pedals.

For those games, Simucube 1 or 2 (pro) www.simracingbay.com for the wheel.

Pedals, Huesinkveld Sprints or Ultimates. You won't have to think about upgrades again for *many* years.

Soldato

What rig would you guys recommend? Don’t mind spending for good hardware but wouldn’t want to get something that I appreciate the benefits of. Settled on a sim labs rig, seat and monitor stand but I need advise on the wheel and pedals.
For those games, Simucube 1 or 2 (pro) www.simracingbay.com for the wheel.

Pedals, Huesinkveld Sprints or Ultimates. You won't have to think about upgrades again for *many* years.
^ this also factor in the price of a wheel and button box. I have a simucube 1 and huesinkveld sprints so can vouch for how good they are.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Just finished my setup and spotted the thread so thought I would share

Full setup:
Simlab GT1 Evo
Corbeau Clubsport seat
Fanatec CSL Elite LC pedals
T300
Logitech K400 wireless keyboard
ROG Swift monitor on an Amazon Basics long reach monitor arm.

Excuse terrible cables at the rear of the desk. its a work in progress.

Swings over to the desk in seconds. :cool:

jdaTjFWl.jpg

lF8NHtkl.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Trak Racer R6 cockpit
Trak Racer keyboard mouse tray
Track Racer monitor stand
43" Samsung superwide
Fanatec CSL elite
Fanatec McLaren GT3 wheel
ClubSport Steering Wheel BMW
Fanatec clubsport pedals v3
Fanatec clubsport shifter
Fanatec handbrake
Logitech 5.1 speakers
Coolermaster keyboard and mouse
Button box
Oculus rift s

Last edited:
Soldato
A slight derail but this seems the best place to ask. I have just ordered a Sim Lab Gt1 evo cockpit but being on the larger side I know bucket seats can be a bit snug so I didn't order one. If I want to fit a regular car seat, am I correct in thinking it should just be a case of undoing the seat rails from the floor of a car and bolting them to the cockpit? I'm sure it will be apparent once I have the cockpit but I'm trying to plan in advance so I can have everything set up asap once it is delivered.

Soldato
A slight derail but this seems the best place to ask. I have just ordered a Sim Lab Gt1 evo cockpit but being on the larger side I know bucket seats can be a bit snug so I didn't order one. If I want to fit a regular car seat, am I correct in thinking it should just be a case of undoing the seat rails from the floor of a car and bolting them to the cockpit? I'm sure it will be apparent once I have the cockpit but I'm trying to plan in advance so I can have everything set up asap once it is delivered.
It's just 80/20 so yes, that should work.

Soldato
@NeverWinter Thanks :) Everyone loves the world should :D I did assume so good to know it should be that easy. As I'll be scrapping my old car soon, time to get the tape measure out to see if it'll fit the dimensions of the cockpit :)

Soldato
Bit of a long shot, Are there any sim racers around Birmingham/Midlands with a Fanatec podium, CSL or Clubsport wheel base? (Can't be the CSR Elite base) I bought a Clubsport Formula wheel from Ebay but I think one of the buttons isn't working. However my Fanatec order is still 2-3 weeks away so I don't have a wheel base to test it :( I'm hoping someone has a compatible wheel base and for beer tokens will test the wheel for me as I'd rather not wait 2-3 weeks to raise a return.

Soldato
Bit of a long shot, Are there any sim racers around Birmingham/Midlands with a Fanatec podium, CSL or Clubsport wheel base? (Can't be the CSR Elite base) I bought a Clubsport Formula wheel from Ebay but I think one of the buttons isn't working. However my Fanatec order is still 2-3 weeks away so I don't have a wheel base to test it :( I'm hoping someone has a compatible wheel base and for beer tokens will test the wheel for me as I'd rather not wait 2-3 weeks to raise a return.
Might be better to ask here. https://www.racedepartment.com/forums/sim-racing-hardware.159/

Soldato
Wish I had one of those to help.

Soldato
I used to have a G29 mounted to my desk but as I've finished my new set up I should update;
Fanatec CSL Elite wheel base and PS4 wheel
Fanatec Clubsport Formula Black wheel rim
Fanatec Clubsport V3 Pedals with brake performance kit
Fanatec Clubsport Shifter SQ 1.5
Fanatec Clubsport Handbrake
All mounted to a Sim Lab GT1 Evo cockpit with 32" TV on Sim Lab single screen mount and an MX5 'Tombstone' seat.

Back
Top Bottom