• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Even if I have a 9900k right now, I'm glad that AMD is back in the CPU race, it's good for the competition, and therefore for the consumers.
I just hope they can do the same on the GPU market against Nvidia whose prices are going out of control...

Soldato
I hear so many good things about the MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC as it has really good VRMS.
It doesn't exactly have any higher end VRM.
But for its decent, and unlike in most motherboards its VRM cooling isn't sabotaged by plastic marketing excrements.
Also BIOS flashing without CPU, GPU and memory is something Asrock and Gigabyte don't have in AMD mobos and Asus only in arm, both legs and buttrape priced models.
(while they remember to sabotage VRM cooling with plastic garbage also in cheap models)

For some weird reason most higher end VRM B450 mobos are smaller than ATX sized.

Any advice for Motherboard for 12 core Ryzen from B450 or X470 range? Without overclocking ^^, just his original boost
B450 Carbon would be definitely good choise for lower price.

After that there's kinda of uncanny valley with not much of proper for the price VRMs.
Both Asus and Gigabyte have lower X470 mobos with way worser VRM than MSI B450 Carbon.
Also Asrock uses quite cheap FETs.

Especially modern design integrated powerstage VRMs are mostly missing except in overkill for normal use VRM mobos.

Soldato
I love that now Intel are being beat in benchmarks they start trying to get everyone to stop benchmarking lol.
I'm sure Intel's software developer help team is already providing software developers free AMD crippling code to get "correct" results.

Also no doubt Intel has helpful guides for reviewers to make sure Intel's security patches and Windows scheduler for Ryzen fixing patch isn't installed.

Associate
I feel comfy knowing I can just stick a new CPU in my current B350 mobo without upgrading the whole lot like I'd have to with Intel.

See id like to say the same , AMD have never been good at getting completely compatability support through the ages be that with either motherboard vendors smashing out cheap crap boards with cheap crap VRMs which essentially limited them to 65w or undefinitive bios support for certain tiers of CPU.

Even as an enthusiast ( albeit with a rather largly reduced income then ) I still got stung trying to wack in a 955 phenom to a board I had originally running an x2 260 , had to end up buying a new board much to my displeasure.

Hopefully this meager 6+2 phase vrm on my current board will allow 12cores.

Associate
B450 Carbon would be definitely good choise for lower price.

After that there's kinda of uncanny valley with not much of proper for the price VRMs.
Both Asus and Gigabyte have lower X470 mobos with way worser VRM than MSI B450 Carbon.
Also Asrock uses quite cheap FETs.

Especially modern design integrated powerstage VRMs are mostly missing except in overkill for normal use VRM mobos.

i am wondering, maybe my B450 Tomahawk can hande this 12 cores also. As i see there is no point to go for 570 board

Caporegime
PCWorld: Last night Intel made a large pitch to us that we’re using artificial benchmarks, benchmarks that aren’t used by the real world, and they’re trying to influence the community to move away from that model. How do you feel about that?

Lisa Su: We also believe that real world applications are important, no doubt about it. But at some point you have to compare X to Y, and so we will use benchmarks. You might have noticed that we switched from Cinebench R15 to R20. We did that on purpose, it's a harder test than R15. When we look at gaming performance, we do our best to benchmark clearly, and all of our stuff is apples to apples. Benchmarks are important – they give you a view of competitiveness. But at the end of the day it’s about the user at home, and what we believe is we give the user a lot of choice depending on what your price points are, what your performance requirements are, whether you want to use a water cooler, or an air cooler, I think we give you a lot of choice in the processor market.

What do they mean by Real World and Synthetic?

GeekBench, WPrime, UserBench ecte.... these are Synthetic. And because they use old Intel instruction sets that AMD don't because they are obsolete these benchmarks are heavily Intel slanted.

Cinebench (<Maxcom Cinema4D) Blender, Handbreak, 7Zip..... these are real world applications and AMD compete very well in real world applications because they use modern extensions.

So if Intel want reviewers to cut out all the Synthetic stuff Intel will have nothing to point at to say "Look, Intel better"

So for that reason i very much doubt that is what this is about.

Intel will have their own choices of benchmarking suites no doubt designed by themselves and they will call them "real world performance applications" when in fact they will contain Intel's known Vendor Specific code de-optimizer, like the ones they still run is their increasingly useless compilers.

Associate
Last edited:
Associate
I'm just keen to see the performance of R3000 in newer games.

Still expect Intel to be stronger in older titles, but who cares about them.

EDIT: Only oldball one so far for AMD seems to be Far Cry 5.

Man of Honour
Also BIOS flashing without CPU, GPU and memory is something Asrock and Gigabyte don't have in AMD mobos and Asus only in arm, both legs and buttrape priced models.
(while they remember to sabotage VRM cooling with plastic garbage also in cheap models)

Pretty sure my asrock x399 Taichi amd board has bios flashback USB port that is capable of flashing without a cpu.

Last edited:
Associate
Seen many videos now talking about how clock speed will go down with every node shrink, so it's to be applauded that AMD managed to get any increase in clock speed at all.

I vaguely remember in AMDs E3 Keynote that Lisa said even the engineers didn't think they would increase the clocks, so a lower clock speed limit should be expected from here on I think. All about the architecture, which is what we should be concerned with.

That said, let's see what goodies the next gen Ryzen will bring :)

Soldato
Seen many videos now talking about how clock speed will go down with every node shrink, so it's to be applauded that AMD managed to get any increase in clock speed at all.

I vaguely remember in AMDs E3 Keynote that Lisa said even the engineers didn't think they would increase the clocks, so a lower clock speed limit should be expected from here on I think. All about the architecture, which is what we should be concerned with.

Clocks are at approaching 5GHz and beyond they're not going down just up lol.

Associate
I just found it on Reddit. The leaked prices.

*** Removed competitor info ***

3900X £486
3800X £383
3700X £321
3600X £246

Not as cheap as chips:

9422_1.jpg

Associate

Think the engineers said due to the architecture not to expect clock speed increases in tandem with IPC uplifts however they still managed it. At higher densities and smaller packages frequency at that point is Purely a heat issue rather than a node issue .. the smaller the node the worst the heat density output is

Back
Top Bottom