Base for an x58 build

Associate
So I’ve been watching tech yes city on YouTube and it’s inspired me to do an x58 build. While browsing gumtree, I found a listing for a gigabyte ex58-ud3r board, i7 920, 4x4gb Corsair vengeance ram and a Corsair vs650w psu. The seller originally wanted £125 but I managed to get him down to £90.

I’m planning to replace the i7 with an x5675 and build a system around it. I just have a couple of questions.

Did I get good value for money?
What gfx card would you pair with the x5675, presuming I can overclock it over 4ghz?
Any issues I might encounter with this board or x58s in particular?

Associate
My main PC is a 1st gen i7 920 with 6GB ram and I use it for dev work and gaming. I play xcom2, fallout4 etc on it fine. So for £90 i think you have done ok.

There are only 2 issues I can think of.
Its most likely a board designed for use with tri-channel memory kits. 4x4gb will be running in dual channel mode. In real terms your not likely to notice but its something to be aware of.
Also lots of the x58 boards had USB problems where the controllers would degrade over time resulting in speed drop. Again most likely not an issue if all you plug in is a KB and mouse.

If you start seeing problems with the system the first thing to look at should be the power supply. If its been hammered for 10 years it may need replacing.

Associate
OP
My main PC is a 1st gen i7 920 with 6GB ram and I use it for dev work and gaming. I play xcom2, fallout4 etc on it fine. So for £90 i think you have done ok.

There are only 2 issues I can think of.
Its most likely a board designed for use with tri-channel memory kits. 4x4gb will be running in dual channel mode. In real terms your not likely to notice but its something to be aware of.
Also lots of the x58 boards had USB problems where the controllers would degrade over time resulting in speed drop. Again most likely not an issue if all you plug in is a KB and mouse.

If you start seeing problems with the system the first thing to look at should be the power supply. If its been hammered for 10 years it may need replacing.

Thanks. Yeah, I wondered about the triple channel ram. I guess I can live with dual channel as I’m not likely to go out and buy new ram. The seller also mentioned that the psu is 6 months old and it does look brand new to be fair so hopefully it will stand up ok.

Man of Honour
yeah get the x5650-x5690 for ~£15-£25 + oc, normally 4.2-4.4 is achievable with decent cooling.
another 2x4gb ram to make 24gb (tri-channel) for £30ish used...
pair it with a 2060 super (released soon) and you're good to go.

Associate
OP
yeah get the x5650-x5690 for ~£15-£25 + oc, normally 4.2-4.4 is achievable with decent cooling.
another 2x4gb ram to make 24gb (tri-channel) for £30ish used...
pair it with a 2060 super (released soon) and you're good to go.

Hmm, I only have 4 ram slots which are filled but it does say triple channel on the motherboard. I’ll need to download the manual and have a look. A 2060 is probably gonna be out of my budget for now, this is mostly a bang for buck second hand build. I was considering the 970 as I’ll only be using a 1080p 60hz monitor. In the future hopefully I can look at higher refresh rates and possibly 1440p.

Associate
Solid build - I had that mobo and CPU in 2012 and later switched over to the 5650 which ran quite happily with 4ghz overclock on air.
Only issue I had in the 5 years or so I ran it was SSD storage devices occasionally disappearing, not sure if it was flakey SATA controllers or the SSDs. Restart always solved the problems though.

Back
Top Bottom