ASUS ROG SWIFT PG35VQ

Associate
When Linus introduces this as a $2500 monitor you realise how much were ripped off in the UK, that's almost $1000 more than the US

Last edited:
Soldato
I always wanted one what when they were announced 1-2 years ago now.

At that price no chance. £2700 for a monitor sheesh. You could get a 65” OLED for that and still have a grand to spare.

My 27” 1440p 165hz will be staying a little longer it seems.

Soldato
Acer X35 and Agon AG353UCG will certainly be cheaper than this... but even if that Agon comes in at £2K it'll be too much. No way is this price justified, and the upcoming 43" Acer/Asus 4K monitors will be a steal vs these. Not quite the same spec of course, but close enough to make these just silly money.

Associate
Ya it's a bit crazy when you think about it. Acer has priced a 43" VRR 4K VA with 1000-nit HDR (granted; edge lit) for HALF the price of this 3440x1440 monitor.

Associate
Considering the recent price of the 27" 4k HDR jobbies the price of this seems as expected. Everything that makes prices stupid in the UK will only make it worse.

After watching another review this looks as though it will give a great gaming experience although if you are sensitive to ghosting that may be an issue. The price is hard to swallow although I think it is pointless comparing it to TV prices.

Man of Honour
I've had the X27 in the past and although noticeable, I didn't think the Halo effect was too bad.
However in the Linus video it looks horrendous! - Simply the camera or is the number of zones simply too little for this size/format of screen?
The blooming is better on the PG35VQ than it was on the PG27UQ. I don’t think that video is really a good representation of real world

Soldato
The blooming is better on the PG35VQ than it was on the PG27UQ. I don’t think that video is really a good representation of real world

From the video, it perhaps depends very much on the game, what background you're looking at, and also the ambient light in the room you're in. Many factors at play surely.

Man of Honour
From the video, it perhaps depends very much on the game, what background you're looking at, and also the ambient light in the room you're in. Many factors at play surely.
well yes, a lot of factors to consider. also the viewing position, distance and angle is a factor. Content viewed, whether you're connected over DP or HDMI (ie the source of the HDR)....but the blooming is not as bad as that video suggested

Normal exposure settings on cameras will pick up the slight haloing more than the human eye. That's why it looks worse than it most likely is.

agreed

Man of Honour
Yes but a lot of people are inevitably going to take that video as gospel.
Yes no doubt. But a 12 minute glorified unboxing video definitely doesn’t tell you the whole story. I expect plenty of people who never intended to buy the screen, hate Asus or just want to bad mouth it will use it sadly :(

Associate
There is another video review that is slightly more in-depth (though still not as good as any of the dedicated monitor site reviews)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnFB2pFL2wc

This one left a more positive impression on me. The pixel response time looked really good with overdrive turned on (at normal levels). I really love the 35" size, its only 1" larger than the 34's obviously but it just feels... better to me (having compared a 34" to a 35" in a store). The price and the FALD haloing are really the factors that are scaring me off (as opposed to a 34" LG). I think I need to see the FALD haloing in person to tell how much it would bother me. And the price? Well, the price is probably a no go for me for the ASUS model but I'll re-evaluate when the AGON version is released.

Oh and 3 fans for active cooling... I still am firmly against active cooling in my monitors but if they are accessible by an end user to clean/replace/swap out when they inevitably start failing that might mitigate somewhat....

Back
Top Bottom