Faulty x99 motherboard, not booting with memory in some slots

Associate
Motherboard Model : Asus X99-A II

Operation System / BIOS version : Windows 10/Bios ver 1902 (Latest)

Graphics Card: Nvidia Gtx 1080Ti

Processor: Intel 5960X

Memory: Corsair CMK32GX4M4A2666C16W Vengeance LPX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 2666 MHz

The system was running stable until a few days ago. It started to crash and then no boot with all the 4 ram sticks together in slots A1/B1/C1/D1. The system only boots with a ram stick in D1 or C1 or together in these two slots. No boot in any other combination or crash within first 10 mins even if it boots. I have carried out following steps to make sure that memory or no component other than motherboard itself is playing about:

- Booted with all the memory sticks one by one in D1 and tested the memory with memtest86. All of the memory sticks are error free.

- This is a matched set of 4x 8gb memory sticks and working flawlessly on this board for nearly 3 years now.

- I reset and loaded the optimised defaults in Bios and turned off the XMP to make sure that no OC is in effect.

- Tried CMOS reset.

- Re-installed windows.

- Removed the cooler and re-seated the CPU with no change in behavior.

Since all the memory sticks are confirmed to be working error free by memtest86 and system is perfectly stable with a single ram stick in C1/D1 or a combination of both; I think the problem is with the motherboard memory slots and probably a RMA is required? Can CPU IMC be the culprit?

Thank you

Man of Honour
try replacing the cmos battery.
odd stuff can happen if the cmos battery is dying.
not saying that it's 100% the cause, but its an easy and cheap one to exclude.

Associate
OP
Update: Asus have agreed to process the RMA since "Rainforest" doesn't want to get involved because motherboard is more than 24 months old. But Asus are asking me to pay a 15£ logistics fee upfront. Is this normal?

Associate
OP
How long is the warranty because if it's still under warranty you shouldn't be paying a a penny

Still under 3 year warranty. It was bought from rainforest and Asus wanted the RMA to be done through them. But rainforest didn't want to assist as it is over 24 months old. Asus then told me that they have a separate process for handling these situations where retailer is not providing the assistance and requested me to pay up 15£ logistics fee.

Back
Top Bottom