Soft close for these old hinges?

Soldato
We have some wardrobes upstairs which were made on the cheap by the previous owners. They are very robust, so robust infact that whenever the wardrobe is closed with anything but the lightest of touch, it sounds like the Gates of Mordor have been slammed shut by a Balrog.

We have soft close dampeners on our kitchen cupboards downstairs however the dampeners do not fit.

I purchased the adhesive dots which offer no dampening effect.

Finally, i purchased some plastic barrel/piston dampeners which offer virtually no difference to the closure noise of wood on wood.

Are there any on-hinge dampeners that would fit the existing hinges, or do I need to replace the hinges with modern ones?

Associate
Google ‘clip on soft close buffers’ but if the ones in your kitchen don’t fit you may have to replace the hinges, they aren’t expensive though and they aren’t hard to find.

Associate
Just buy any soft close 35mm euro hinge (I'm assuming they're 35mm! - the other size is 26mm) and swap them out.. A doddle. Brands like Blum / Hafele are the industry standard - but you can pick them up for less than a tenner for two.

Soldato
Just buy any soft close 35mm euro hinge (I'm assuming they're 35mm! - the other size is 26mm) and swap them out.. A doddle. Brands like Blum / Hafele are the industry standard - but you can pick them up for less than a tenner for two.

This.

I replaced all the hinges in my kitchen with soft close ones from Amazon for less than £15. From the image they look like pretty standard 35mm hinges and will be a straight swap.

Example:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06W2JSKZ3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back
Top Bottom