Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Soldato
Soldato
Went to Cassington bike night last night:

48125616931_c72b521414_b.jpg

48125647583_fcdf094541_b.jpg

48125616896_0fc363765f_b.jpg

Never been before, it was a nice relaxed event, packed with bikes! A few knobbers flying towards oncoming cars when queuing to get out, or holding their inline 4s on the limiter (shudder - thought that was just a Yank thing!) but other than that, people were on good behavior.

Soldato
TIFU. The Teng torque wrench doesn't keep clicking when it gets to the value. It clicks once then re-engages :/ I didn't realise this and I didn't know how much force 20NM feels like.
I don't know why exactly but kept tightening after the click and tightened too much and now I've stripped the threads in the sump.. :facepalm:

What are my options to fix this??

Soldato
I did read about that. I guess I was just wanting confirmation that that is the best way. I don't have a drill though, can I do it without one? And how do you prevent the metal shavings from going inside the sump? I'm worried that I'd mess it up.. I wonder if a garage would do it for me.. although I would have no way of getting it to them.

If I buy this, is that all I'll need? https://www.amazon.co.uk/piece-Thread-Repair-Kit-16-3mm/dp/B007PFFYLS/

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
Ideally you would drop the sump I guess? Although it may be worth running a bit of oil through it afterward at the very least to clean out any shavings if you want to do it without removing it.
Its probably best done by hand when cutting the new thread.
There are kits on Amazon for under £25 designed for Sump plug repair.

Soldato
I did read about that. I guess I was just wanting confirmation that that is the best way. I don't have a drill though, can I do it without one? And how do you prevent the metal shavings from going inside the sump? I'm worried that I'd mess it up.. I wonder if a garage would do it for me.. although I would have no way of getting it to them.

If I buy this, is that all I'll need? https://www.amazon.co.uk/piece-Thread-Repair-Kit-16-3mm/dp/B007PFFYLS/

To do it properly it's a sump off job, otherwise there's no way of knowing you haven't left swarf in there.

Soldato
Had a quick look online. Ybr125 doesn't look like it has a removable sump pan which leaves two options, split the engine casings or helicoil it in situe.

I'd have a bash at doing it in situe as stripping the engine is a big job.
You'll need the correct size drill bit, make sure it's sharp (don't be tempted to use the nearest size you have available, buy the size the helicoil kit recommends). Drill the damaged thread out very slowly then use cotton buds and tweezers to remove all the swarf, a cheap endoscope will also be your friend here (you may also be able to remove the clutch cover and clutch basket to get access to the inside of the sump plug hole). Use the supplied tap to run a new thread through the hole you've drilled, again, tweezers and cotton buds to remove all the swarf. Finally screw in the helicoil and snap off the metal tab, make sure you extract the metal tab afterwards. Job done, panic over.

Associate
The other option if you can find a suitable larger diameter plug is to just drill and tap. Have tried cheap helicoil kits and they are useless Imo but a decent helicoil kit works. Sucks you can't easily remove the sump.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Seems like I'm a bit of an idiot. I thought all drills are basically the same.. apparently I bought one with a 10mm chuck and it can't even take the drill bit. Back it goes.. time to buy another one.

Associate
How are jackets meant to fit? I bought a Rev'it Tornado 2 Jacket and it's so uncomfortably tight, I don't know if I should size up or go for something else.

Back
Top Bottom