Tesco Box insurance modifications

Soldato
I mean it’s a diesel... so not much point modding it. Although... that golf 1.9tdi posted in the motors YouTube thread was pretty epic tbh :D

Associate
Don't modify it........just please don't.

One day you'll get something with some power, look back and realise what a fool you looked in that lowered, fart box Golf.

Not to mention, first time driver + mods - I'll be amazed if you can even get insured. To an insurance company you'll scream 'inexperienced, wants to look cool and will probably drive like a knob' therefore, computer says no.

Soldato
But thankfully I’ve managed to be a gifted driver so caught on very quick
Predicts first incident within 8 weeks of passing test.
@Jxmie Just learn to drive...by which I mean, pass your test, then learn how to drive in the real world, for at least a year or two. Then, once you've got some miles and experience under your belt, maybe think about modifying your car. But please, don't modify a 1.6TDI Golf.

Associate
I think we have scared the chap off lol.

Only mod on that thing i would do is a remap, would be worth a few extra ft pounds to spin up the front tyres - other than that, save towards a decent pcp in a couple of years for something with actual talent.

Associate
@Jxmie Just learn to drive...by which I mean, pass your test, then learn how to drive in the real world, for at least a year or two. Then, once you've got some miles and experience under your belt, maybe think about modifying your car. But please, don't modify a 1.6TDI Golf.

Reminds me of a bad weekend round this way last month, number of folk killed on the roads in crashes in like 4 days. One was a kid, not much older than this chap who had just got himself a new Fiesta St - less than 3 hours later, cream crackered. Had a car full of plebs to show off to as well when he went off, think they are ok. I was on the road and at the place he totalled it not 24 hours earlier doing some numbers and it was fine, well inside the capabilities of the car, myself and conditions though.

Soldato
So I've just googled, main reason for older car=more horse power but the consensus is that for newer cars, the car might actually run worse and might throw up a check engine light. Will make the car sound louder as you'll hear the rawness of the engine. Is this something that you'd want to do, personally no, especially if it might void your insurance.

Now I'm going to google youtube for diesels with a "muffler delete" as I'm really now interested in how they sound.

Caporegime
Removing a backbox will almost definitely have no effect on power for better or for worse, it is too far back in the exhaust system for it to make any difference to the backpressure at the manifold. It is done purely for sound. Which on a 1.6TDI Golf........ Isn't something you want to increase.

Associate
Its a chav mod for noobs to do, nowt more.
All it will do is make a really loud poor noise (on a ******* diesel) and be nasty.

A good exhaust note and noise is down to many things, engine (obviously), headers, pipe sizes, cats and of course mufflers.
This thing will sound absolutely and utterly garbage, its got a DPF and turbo in the exhaust track which is always going to make it sound crap, plus diesel almost always sounds utterly terrible for an exhaust note.

My 5 has a straight through (not headers yet) exhaust going to a 4 tip muffler and sounds bloody great when it gets opened up to its new 7500rpm revlimit, a crapbox 1.6 diesel is going to sound mince at its top end of 4500rpm lol.

Caporegime
No muffler isn't road legal. It will be way to loud with straight pipes. Any car will...

He, didn't say he wanted to straight pipe it, he said he wanted to remove the back box. A 4 cylinder turbo diesel will be very much road legal with the backbox removed. The turbo, cats and middle box will mean it is still fairly quiet. In fact a straight piped turbo diesel will still be quiet enough to pass an MOT.

My E30 is as loud as hell with no middle box and just a backbox, it still passes an MOT.

Soldato
This car will not sound good in any way with no muffler. Pass your test oh gifted one before messing with it.

There's also a major risk of manifold damage if you mod your exhaust. If you see this warning, make sure stop immediately and get yourself down to Harry's and have replacement parts shipped overnight from Japan.

tenor.gif

Associate
My 5 has a straight through (not headers yet) exhaust going to a 4 tip muffler and sounds bloody great when it gets opened up to its new 7500rpm revlimit, a crapbox 1.6 diesel is going to sound mince at its top end of 4500rpm lol.

I bet you can't get 74.3mpg though. OP has you beat there.

Back
Top Bottom