• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Question with regards to Ryzen 3000 and RAM sticks.

Would it be possible to buy 2x8 rams for 16gb dual channel, something like Team Group 8 pack going for £150 and then down the line in a years time buy exact same kit to stick it into the motherboard to get total 32gb? Or will I need to be a separate 32gb kit?

Soldato
There's no question that higher clocked higher SKU gets better binning.

And at stock 3700X is going to have lot worser boost clocks when number of loaded threads rises.
Just like in case of 2700X vs 2700, or 2600X vs 2600.
Heck, for gaming at stock 2600X is better than 2700 with lot better maintaining of boost clocks because of more TDP room.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-5-2600/16.html
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-2600,5625.html

Sure stock performance is what it says it is on the box but try and look at it from an overclocking point of view. I'm certainly curious to see what a 3700x vs 3800x, locked at the 3800x' max boost clocks, will draw in power. Will it be the same? will the 3700x be slightly less? will there be any difference in how fare the 3700x can be pushed once the taps are opened compared to the 3800x?.

Soldato
Question with regards to Ryzen 3000 and RAM sticks.

Would it be possible to buy 2x8 rams for 16gb dual channel, something like Team Group 8 pack going for £150 and then down the line in a years time buy exact same kit to stick it into the motherboard to get total 32gb? Or will I need to be a separate 32gb kit?

Yes but that relies on being able to find those kits again in 2 years.

The memory on those 8-pack kits are made by Samsung and are known as Samsung b-die. It's been widely reported that Samsung has stopped making them now so they will become scarce going forward.

Realistically as you have MM access I can't see it being too much of an issue picking up a kit in a couple of years time when people upgrade.

I'd also wait personally for reviews to see the difference memory speed and timings have on the new processors there are some really cheap kits about at the moment, almost half the price of the 8 pack kits and could end up being only a few percent slower if at all.

Soldato
Yes but that relies on being able to find those kits again in 2 years.

The memory on those 8-pack kits are made by Samsung and are known as Samsung b-die. It's been widely reported that Samsung has stopped making them now so they will become scarce going forward.

Realistically as you have MM access I can't see it being too much of an issue picking up a kit in a couple of years time when people upgrade.

I'd also wait personally for reviews to see the difference memory speed and timings have on the new processors there are some really cheap kits about at the moment, almost half the price of the 8 pack kits and could end up being only a few percent slower if at all.
Makes sense, thanks a lot!

HRL

HRL

Soldato
What he means is that yes the scores are higher, but due to having 4 more cores. Some people, including me are interested to see if AMD can match Intel core by core, since in gaming for example having faster cores is important. For multithreaded load having more cores is better, that is not a discussion.

Yep, precisely that. Better explained TBF. :)

Soldato
I used to baulk at the thought of paying over £100 for a mobo, times certainly have changed.
Indeed. For many years ~£150 would be my absolute max. You can still get very decent boards on most platforms for that price but the top end has gone wild. I suspect it's just to keep the companies profits high with AMD not changing socket as often as Intel used to.

Soldato
I still think there's something wrong about spending more/as much on your motherboard as on the CPU. I know I probably need to get with the times, but I swear since I put together my 6700k build top-end motherboard prices have gone mad.

Soldato
I still think there's something wrong about spending more/as much on your motherboard as on the CPU. I know I probably need to get with the times, but I swear since I put together my 6700k build top-end motherboard prices have gone mad.

I think it's the same with the majority of components now though. Top end CPUs, GPUs, motherboards and RAM have become more expensive (in my eyes at least).

Back
Top Bottom