The GTR is dead! Long live the cryptolambo!

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
She did well, in fairness on my first go I got lost, LOL. The second go I was just throwing the car around to see basically what happens when its out of control, it got rather sideways but it feels well balanced and the front-end is nothing short of amazing, never felt such a sharp and grippy front-end before and rear is telepathic? :)

Likewise found more time as the day went on, the back end is like a pendulum particularly coming around the far end hairpin could just stomp the throttle, let the back end slide around and ease off slightly and it would all straighten up wonderfully.

Having never had a mid engine car before its all new to me but so far incredibly impressed.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
DIY DAY!

My fuel flap actuator stopped working. Annoying but fortunately not a show stopper, anyway 6 weeks ago ordered the replacement part and it finally shipped up on Saturday.

Looking at the general area, thought this is a DIY job, so lets give it a go.

i.php

First thing you have to remove this annoyingly difficult to remove bit of trim. Literally took me an hour and a half to do this.

i.php

Once that was off you can pull out the internal part of the ducting.

i.php

This exposes the old actuator, which was in quite a state.

i.php

Once thats out the way I had a quick clear out of the 11 years of dirt buildup.

i.php

i.php

New Actuator in....

i.php

Emergency pull fed through and screws in.

i.php

And ducting bolted back in place.

i.php

Front clipped back in.

i.php

Thought id take a look at what went wrong with the old one as apparently they can gunk up and a good clean sorts them.

i.php

A simple yet effective design.

i.php

And the issue...

i.php

Happy I did this myself, would have easily racked up a few hundred pounds in labor given how tricky the trim removal is.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
Car spent the last 6 weeks not being cleaned due to roadworks and the dust kickup. But today a friend of a friends kid was celebrating his 7th birthday, with Lambos being his absolute dream car. So gave it a quick clean and even still it looks so good.

Pulled up and he knew exactly what it was, but to then be told he was going for a ride you should have seen bouncing like tigger.

Took him on a 20 minute ride around the local area blasting his socks off. Couple of very short clips of the take off and subsequent return :D

Soldato
Good job on the actuator replacement. Quite funny to see one of those basic dinky hobbyist looking motors coming out of a lambo!

I bet you made that kids year. It's my birthday coming up, can I get a ridealong? :D

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
So the "chip repairs" on the front finally got to me.

It wouldnt of been too much of a problem apart from the color was way off... and made them stand out...

i.php

So... first things first... remove the old repair. Use a custom sharpened nail tool for this which let me scrape away the paint...

i.php

After filling the "holes" in with several ground coat layers to get near the top, used this really nitfy tool where you put a small pool of paint in the top of it, and then dab with needle precision to fill in the area, allows you to be extremely accurate and most importantly, not over apply.

i.php

After leaving it for an hour or so to dry the color is nearly spot on, is it perfect? No but its a damn sight lot better than it was

i.php

Went out and used some G3 to very gently flatten it out before it completely dried.

The difference from a meter away however is night and day. Unless you know they are there it no longer draws your eye... the location is just above the garage door in the reflection on the bottom left of the bonnet.

i.php

I will at some point get the front end resprayed and then fully PPFed. But for now I can live with some minor chip outlines.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
Great work well done.
Is that yellow hard to match on a respray of the bonnet?

Yes, its a 3 stage paint, so even matching chips can take hours because you have to keep layering it until its right. These pictures dont really give an indication of time but it took me most of a day to do those 2 stone chips, and the circular one im considering re-doing.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
Well popped up to ocuk today to grab a new monitor!

Took the opportunity, as you do, to get some photos of the 2 yellow beasts :D They look so good together.

Anyway @Gibbo was clearly itching to get out of the office so went for a little drive, decided (and trust him enough) to let him have a drive, needless to say the smiles every time he blipped that loud pedal was brilliant, really different experience being a passenger and just being able to enjoy the noise and the car. Got back and he let me take the 458 out! Which the difference between the cars mechanically is just night and day. The lambo is raw, uncivilized brute power, where as the rarri was an absolute scalpel of driving perfection. Has got me thinking about trading in for a 458 now!

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

It also turns out, supercars are not ideal ultrawide monitor collection vehicles either...

i.php

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Haha, brilliant. I remember when I got my U2711 delivered. The box wouldn't fit between the headrest and the top of the windscreen to get it in my MX5.

I love yellow cars, life needs a bit of colour :)

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
Jesus that's completely different from the pics in the opening post. It looks like Fiat Coupe Yellow there if you know what I mean! :p

Yea, its part of what makes the car such a pleasure to own, on a sunny day with the light bouncing off the paint the car almost glows at you begging to be driven :D

Back
Top Bottom