Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
The issue is i have no real neat way of running a cable from upstairs to downstairs. Hence why i wanted to have a box downstairs so that i can use it as a modem to connect devices through ethernet as it'll be right next to the tv
Virgin has managed to get cables to both locations. Can you route a length of external grade Cat5e along the same path?

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Virgin has managed to get cables to both locations. Can you route a length of external grade Cat5e along the same path?

I believe the previous house owner had the TV one in place before we moved, and Virgin just added their thing on there with the router one being upstairs.

Not sure I can bring a cable from upstairs to downstairs, so im thinking of just doing powerline cables!

Permabanned
I drilled a hole in the wall of one bedroom, installed a network point, cabled some external grade cat5 down the wall and through the downstairs wall to the location of the router. (When I had my office upstairs before child 2 appeared)

Soldato
I drilled a hole in the wall of one bedroom, installed a network point, cabled some external grade cat5 down the wall and through the downstairs wall to the location of the router. (When I had my office upstairs before child 2 appeared)
Exactly what I've done, powerline would only do 80 and since I'm on 350 it wasn't ideal

Associate
Went through the renewal hurdle again, tried to bargain on the new 500MB unlimited package but they wouldn't budge.
350MB, MAXIT TV, Kids, BT Sports, weekend calls for £49 per month for the next 12 months.
I keep thinking about dropping the TV package since i am also subscribed to Netflix and Amazon Prime, but the BB only price was only about £10 less.

Caporegime
Went through the renewal hurdle again, tried to bargain on the new 500MB unlimited package but they wouldn't budge.
350MB, MAXIT TV, Kids, BT Sports, weekend calls for £49 per month for the next 12 months.
I keep thinking about dropping the TV package since i am also subscribed to Netflix and Amazon Prime, but the BB only price was only about £10 less.

I'm paying around £36 for just 350MB I would pay the extra £13 a month just for BT sports tbh, i take it's HD?

Associate
I'm paying around £36 for just 350MB I would pay the extra £13 a month just for BT sports tbh, i take it's HD?
Yup ,that's including BT HD/4k. I had to cancel first, but they called me back a few days later to offer me the deal. Considering my usage, there isn't anywhere else I'd go, but they didn't need to know that.

Associate
Just gave my notice to leave VM, what a difficult experience, I can understand they don't want customers to leave, but it should be a relatively seamless experience.

The end comment was I wouldn't get a speed above 6mbps from another provider, which is a total falsehood.

Caporegime
Yup ,that's including BT HD/4k. I had to cancel first, but they called me back a few days later to offer me the deal. Considering my usage, there isn't anywhere else I'd go, but they didn't need to know that.

ok well when my contract ends i'll cancel then see if I can get them to beat your "350MB, MAXIT TV, Kids, BT Sports, weekend calls for £49 per month for the next 12 months" i doubt they could tbh that is a stupidly good deal.

Soldato
Nah, they'll just upgrade to DOCSIS 3.1 and offer Gbps speeds as well.

Scandinavian companies are already well into DOCSIS3.1 offering some quite tasty speeds in both directions. VM (read Liberty) aren't too interested investing more than they need to. They need that 350Mb speed to be able to offer a service better than the bulk of BT's FTTP offerings (which will likely switch up to Gb as the speed war continues).

DOCSIS3.1 a LONG way off yet in this country.

If VM actually offered a "decent" 250/50 with <10ms latency consistently for a <£50pcm (and stuck to it) they'd hoover up but there isn't that interest to offer a good service, just to sell to the Lehman who is shopping for the fastest.

Soldato
Scandinavian companies are already well into DOCSIS3.1 offering some quite tasty speeds in both directions. VM (read Liberty) aren't too interested investing more than they need to. They need that 350Mb speed to be able to offer a service better than the bulk of BT's FTTP offerings (which will likely switch up to Gb as the speed war continues).

DOCSIS3.1 a LONG way off yet in this country.

If VM actually offered a "decent" 250/50 with <10ms latency consistently for a <£50pcm (and stuck to it) they'd hoover up but there isn't that interest to offer a good service, just to sell to the Lehman who is shopping for the fastest.
Not really, a lot of the new equipment they have been installing for a while has been capable of DOCSIS 3.1.

Associate
Hi peps, looking for some advice for extending my wifi coverage in the house, and dont know whats better. ISP is Virgin media with SH 2ac. Is it worth setting something like unify system with access point, or just to try this WRTX32X AC3200? Or mayne there is something better for under £200?

Soldato
Not really, a lot of the new equipment they have been installing for a while has been capable of DOCSIS 3.1.

Yeah, anything in the £3bn Project Lightning expansion would deffo be 3.1 capable.

Project Lightning Rollout Since 2017
Q1 2019 = 102,000 Premises
Q4 2018 = 144,000 Premises
Q3 2018 = 109,000 Premises
Q2 2018 = 118,000 Premises
Q1 2018 = 111,000 Premises
Q4 2017 = 159,000 Premises
Q3 2017 = 147,000 Premises
Q2 2017 = 127,000 Premises
Q1 2017 = 102,000 Premises

Associate
Well, the SH3 is an absolutely miserable experience. For the life of me I can not get the (seemingly notoriously horrendous) port forwarding to work. It was perfectly fine on the SH2 and although the interface is easier to use and cleaner, it simply won't work for me.

I can't say I wasn't warned, to be fair, however I hoped after a few years some of these issues might have been ironed out.

Back
Top Bottom