Midway (2019)

Soldato
Not sure what to make of it

I like WW2 films but this looks like another Pearl Harbour rather than a decently done film like SPR or Letters from Iwo Jima, hopefully they do it justice as it was one of the more important battles in the Pacific theatre

Nvm just saw it already posted, sorry

Soldato
This film gives me the same "feeling" as the god-awful modern re-make of Redtails (CGI-fest remake of The Tuskegee Airmen) did, where the story is already well known so it's really just an excuse for a CGI redo, which could be great if done well, but the poor CGI takes away from the importance of the story and cheapens it rather than adding to it.

I think the days of successful epic scale war films with huge ensemble casts like A Bridge Too Far, The Longest Day, ToraToraTora or even the more recent Saving Private Ryan - released 21 years ago! - are long gone from Hollywood (I know Dunkirk was recent but the A-List cast size and scale where both small compared to those films above).

Last edited:
Soldato
Thats video game cut-scene levels of bad! I play World of Warships and every so often they release a "History" video with CGI ships and real actors and that looks better than this, so it's no surprise to me to find that the CGI company for this is the same one that did the Independence Day sequel.

Caporegime
Big ww2 fan and yes it looks terrible sadly.

Battle of midway... From a film pov.
Everyone will miss their torps and bombs for 95% of the film then all the jap carriers burn...
Hooray.
If it looks that bad cgi too then im im gonna struggle on this.
A documentary is usually better than a bad film

Associate
Watched the trailer, I'll pass. Midway was such a momentous battle, any film which depicts this battle, should truly honour the bravery of those who fought. This film looks like another shallow depiction.

The Battle of the Pacific is often overshadowed by the European theatre. The US, alongside the commonwealth, fighting the Japanese; Who would not surrender and fought to the death, truly terrifying. When reading and watching the battles, such as Okinawa etc, by god they were awful.

Sadly, a film which shows the true brutality of war; only appeals to a limited audience. I guess that a PG rated war film (Pearl Harbour) likely grosses far more than historically accurate and/or realistic war films (The Deer Hunter etc).

Soldato
I really liked the "Flags of our Fathers/Letters from Iwo Jima" duo for telling the same story from both sides and no shying away from the brutality of the pacific war. Midway on the other hand shows why the vast majority of "modern" Hollywood studios just can not be trusted with anything historically important and it'll vanish leaving no trace or permeance whilst good films will live forever.

One of the more annoying things for me is the "based on........." trope where real stories with real heroes are re-written by Hollywood who don't believe that people can understand what heroism actually looks like unless it's been Michael Bay'd and it's especially annoying when the real life heroes have to be there on set to see it happen and can't do anything about it.

Soldato
OP
I really liked the "Flags of our Fathers/Letters from Iwo Jima" duo for telling the same story from both sides and no shying away from the brutality of the pacific war.

This, I like that the Japanese version of the battle was told, much like Downfall it's rare we see films told from the perspective of the losers and told as factually as possible

Caporegime
Well I picked up 4 free tickets to an advanced screening here in Sweden.

Going to see it Tuesday evening.
I didn't pay so I can't complain too much :p
It's gonna be "fine" independence day all over again.......

Back
Top Bottom