• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Question regarding second hand GPU and warranty

Associate
Afternoon, got a weird question for you guys.

I bought a second hand pc (which i ended up upgrading most of the parts thx to overcloclers :p), with a Gigabyte RTX 2080 windforce, wicked card so far. After starting to upgrade the PC (going from a i5 6600k to a i7 9700K and other bits and bobs), i noticed that the shroud at the end was horribly clipped off.

zENZgj3.jpg

Complained to the seller about this, he said that he forgot that he did it, the reason for doing this was that it was touching the radiator in front, he at least refunded me a bit of my money back.

Now i'm thinking of getting myself a 2080ti, and everyone is saying that my card would be worth about £150 less due to the damage to the plastic bit (all the metal pipes are fine), i was wondering if there is any way to get a replacement shroud from Gigabyte or something like that (no RMA as the card is fine, the damage is on the plastic only).

What do you guys think i can do?

Soldato
Afternoon, got a weird question for you guys.

I bought a second hand pc (which i ended up upgrading most of the parts thx to overcloclers :p), with a Gigabyte RTX 2080 windforce, wicked card so far. After starting to upgrade the PC (going from a i5 6600k to a i7 9700K and other bits and bobs), i noticed that the shroud at the end was horribly clipped off.

Complained to the seller about this, he said that he forgot that he did it, the reason for doing this was that it was touching the radiator in front, he at least refunded me a bit of my money back.

Now i'm thinking of getting myself a 2080ti, and everyone is saying that my card would be worth about £150 less due to the damage to the plastic bit (all the metal pipes are fine), i was wondering if there is any way to get a replacement shroud from Gigabyte or something like that (no RMA as the card is fine, the damage is on the plastic only).

What do you guys think i can do?

well there's this one: https://www.arctic.ac/uk_en/ax4.html

Or theres this one, although it doesnt list it as fitting the 2080, apparently it does with a bit of googling, you just have to use the AMD hardware for fitting it: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/raijintek-morpheus-ii-core-black-heatpipe-vga-cooler-hs-028-rt.html

Or you could always get a water block for it and sell it as a water cooled edition, failing that, just cut your losses.

Associate
OP
well there's this one: https://www.arctic.ac/uk_en/ax4.html

Or theres this one, although it doesnt list it as fitting the 2080, apparently it does with a bit of googling, you just have to use the AMD hardware for fitting it: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/raijintek-morpheus-ii-core-black-heatpipe-vga-cooler-hs-028-rt.html

Or you could always get a water block for it and sell it as a water cooled edition, failing that, just cut your losses.

Thank you for the hints, will do some research :)

Soldato
Question is £150 less than what ?

Its all subjective as it just depends what second hand price you sell it at. For instance it wouldnt bother me if the price was good that it was damaged. ie you probably wouldnt get £550+ for it second hand.

Associate
OP
Question is £150 less than what ?

Its all subjective as it just depends what second hand price you sell it at. For instance it wouldnt bother me if the price was good that it was damaged. ie you probably wouldnt get £550+ for it second hand.

I was thinking of selling it between £450 to £500, and so far people have been asking to sell it (although i just asked for a price check at the forum) for £350 stating that the metal pipes are damaged and other things.

That's why i wanted to ask this question, to see if there would be a way to fix this.

Permabanned
People on the forum are hawks... Any excuse for a price drop i have sold cards that you could pass on new on there as i am OCD about keeping things clean.

And they basically demand the same.price as the last one sold so why you bought that card i that condition i do not know the person who cut off the end is crazy. You will just have to keep the card or accept the lower value but should never of bought the card imo.

Associate
OP
People on the forum are hawks... Any excuse for a price drop i have sold cards that you could pass on new on there as i am OCD about keeping things clean.

And they basically demand the same.price as the last one sold so why you bought that card i that condition i do not know the person who cut off the end is crazy.

That's the thing, when i bought the system i just tested it to see if it was working fine, and it was, it was only when i decided to upgrade the motherboard and cpu when i noticed the cut lol. I was silly, at least the seller was kind enough to refund me partially.

Permabanned
You may just remove the entire shroud and cable tie on 120mm noctua as well. The heatsinks fine and you could keep it?

2080 to 2080ti is also not even an upgrade to go from 30fps to 45fps. I would keep it and later sell the naked card or the modded version with noctua by then it will be a 200 quid card anyways!

Associate
OP
You may just remove the entire shroud and cable tie on 120mm noctua as well. The heatsinks fine and you could keep it?

2080 to 2080ti is also not even an upgrade to go from 30fps to 45fps. I would keep it and later sell the naked card or the modded version with noctua by then it will be a 200 quid card anyways!

It depends if i can get a good deal on a 2080ti, and if not, i might just get that Accelero Xtreme IV that was advised to me earlier.

Associate
If the shroud works just leave it or sand it smooth. It does look messy and will drop the price compared to similar 2nd hand cards but i wouldn't worry about it.
I personally wouldn't put the Accelero Xtreme IV on it because its ugly (i did use an older version years back and it worked great)

Back
Top Bottom