*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Soldato
I had a brief read of the first few posts, and I want to clarify that I'm understanding it correctly. Firstly, I'm 26, full UK driving licence, provisional A on my licence. Questions time:
1) Upon passing the CBT I have access to 125cc bikes on L-plates, correct?
2) I then need to pass a theory test and two-part practical to get access to 125cc bikes on an A1 licence (without L-plates, and a pillion), right?
3) I can then attain A2 licence if I pass another theory test and the two-part practical test, and there is no minimum time between getting A1 and doing A2?
4) I then need to have A2 licence for 2 years until I can do the Category-A tests, yes?

More general questions:
5) Do I need to have my own gear before doing the CBT or even the A1 tests?
6) What is the minimum budget I would need for gear (helmet, jacket, trousers, boots, and gloves?).

Please note I don't like skimping on stuff like this ordinarily, but to get me started I would probably go cheaper and then upgrade later on.

Man of Honour
Nope as you're over 24 you can do CBT then theory and your 2 part practical and go straight to an unrestricted A licence.

Don't need your own gear, generally schools will provide everything except some sturdy boots. I'd advise getting your own though as the school stuff in generally disgusting.

Minimum budget buying everything new and not having to replace it 5 minutes later when you discover that cheap isn't overly comfortable I'd say you won't get much change from a grand. (I know someone will come along and say you can get it all for 50p and a Mars bar, been there done that spent even more replacing it all pretty quickly as commuting in bargain basement kit isn't much fun)

Transmission breaker
Don
Buying selected stuff secondhand is a good idea.
I got a jacket that was basically brand new for near half price.

Lots of people seem to buy the gear and never use it, then flog it on cheap.

Looking at it now:
Motorcycle Armoured Jeans (RST Kevlar) £80
Bell Helmet £130
Armr Jacket £40 (secondhand - rrp £130)
Boots £00 (Free from brother in law)
Gloves £60

So it can be done with careful shopping for under £500 if you buy new. And much cheaper if you hunt for secondhand bargains.

However I will be buying some boots asap as the other ones have just about given up after 2 years.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, both. Say £500-1000 for gear, around £1k for a reasonably ok condition 125 for testing/practice, and roughly how much for the tests themselves? Just trying to get an idea of how much to have put aside; obviously stuff like lessons will be much harder to work out as will depend on my own learning curve and how much practice I get etc.

Man of Honour
The actual test fees are peanuts

Theory £23
Module 1 motorcycle test (off-road) £15.50
Module 2 motorcycle test (on-road) £75

It's the lessons, use of an instructors bike as you need a certain engine size to pass the A licence so you can't use your own 125 etc that bump it up. You'll probably be looking at around £6-800 for a full direct access course including lessons,practical test fees,cbt.

Transmission breaker
Don
As above, I managed to do it for £400 for the 2 days training (including all tests booked for me). However, I had to book a third day with Mod2 re-take included for £180, as i failed my first mod2.

Just make sure you get your last days training on the day of the Mod2. I didn't, and had to ride up on my 125 to do my test, and then jump onto the 600 without touching it for over a week. You want to be riding the bike in question on the day to get properly in the zone and maximise your chances of a first time pass.

Its do-able for under £500, but I had been riding about on the 125 for a couple of years, so you may need more time. It all depends on how comfy you are on the bike.

Soldato
No need to buy your own bike really, especially if you want to get a full A license, getting the 125 seems largely pointless. Training schools will provide you with a bike for the CBT, tests and lessons. Once you've been on the 600 you won't want to go back on the 125 anyway. :p

Associate
Relax, once the bike is between your legs it'll all come together.

Oh, and there's a minimums speed limit for the trap, but not a maximum ;)... GUN IT! :D (don't... No seriously, don't..)

Soldato
Well done!, when are you planning on your mod 2?, i'm just about to go ride for a couple of hours now, it would be a crime not to in this amazing weather!.

Associate
Hoping to get my mod2 done at some point in July if I can fit it in. Still unsure on bikes though. My sensible side says keep the 125 another year and get a year's no claims (hopefully) then a bigger bike. Then on the other hand I'm thinking Mt07 please

Soldato
Relax, once the bike is between your legs it'll all come together.

Oh, and there's a minimums speed limit for the trap, but not a maximum ;)... GUN IT! :D (don't... No seriously, don't..)

I did my mod 1 emergency stop at 45mph :p still passed though :D

Hoping to get my mod2 done at some point in July if I can fit it in. Still unsure on bikes though. My sensible side says keep the 125 another year and get a year's no claims (hopefully) then a bigger bike. Then on the other hand I'm thinking Mt07 please

I’d personally just go for the bike you want and take it easy. Or get something in between to keep you enjoying the ride and insurance lower until a year of ncb.

I wouldn’t stick with the 125cc it will feel extremely lacking and slow compared to the bigger bike you have been using training.

Last edited:
Associate
I did my mod 1 emergency stop at 45mph :p still passed though :D

I’d personally just go for the bike you want and take it easy. Or get something in between to keep you enjoying the ride and insurance lower until a year of ncb.

I wouldn’t stick with the 125cc it will feel extremely lacking and slow compared to the bigger bike you have been using training.

I'm sure I'll have a better idea of what to do once I've passed. I haven't spent much time on the road with a bugger bike yet, that starts tomorrow.

But once I pass I'll see what I fancy.

I hit 30mph instead of 32 for the hazard avoidance.. Passed but that classed as a minor, but was my only one so pretty pleased about it

Back
Top Bottom