• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8700k (or 8086k) to 9900k

Man of Honour
Has anyone been stupid enough to do this?

I've had some temperature issues with my 8086k for some time. It's in a loop with a 1080 Ti. Nothing of concern but with my last CPU (5960X) the CPU and GPU used to be around the same temperature. So today I decided to investigate and I replaced the TIM between the CPU block and the CPU. The TIM didn't look great when I took it out but it wasn't terrible either. But by that point I may as well replace it. I put it all together and the computer wouldn't even POST. Darn. So I took the CPU out again and I think what's happened is the CPU block corner ended up hitting the CPU socket on the motherboard and bent a load of pins. :(

One dead motherboard. Pretty ****** off as apart from the higher CPU temp (idle about 40 and the GPU is 25, load 70-80 and the GPU is 50) the rig has been brilliant. I was going to see what Ryzen 3 offered however I only mainly game on it and the occasional VMware Workstation work so I don't need more than 6 cores for the foreseeable.

Not wanting to be without my PC, I have ordered a new board for delivery tomorrow (Aorus Z390 AORUS MASTER - I liked my current board). However since the CPU was on the board when I was trying to get it to POST I was fearful I may have damaged the CPU too, so I ordered a 9900k as well.

Once I saw the damage I soon realised that for god knows how long, I have been running water through the CPU block in reverse (water in on the out port) which explains my issues!

The intention is to test the 8086k and if it's working, send the 9900k back, but then there's part of me (a stupid part) which is tempted to keep the 9900k.

Since I am not gaming tonight I took the time to correct the loop so it'll be interesting to see tomorrow how the temps are looking.

Sorry bit of a stupid post but I felt I needed to rant and I guess I'm wanting to see if there's any point whatsoever in keeping the 9900k (I don't think there's any at all, my 8086k would do 5.2 Ghz happily and probably more now with the loop sorted).

Associate
I would imagine unless gaming at high refresh 1080p you'd notice zero difference in gaming experience, and even then it would be miniscule. The 9900K could potentially last a little bit longer but personally I'd return it, the money spent for the gains in your usage scenario would be unnecessary.

Associate
As above , keep your money till something actually wows you. I'd personally be tempted to crack tweazers out and sort the board too befor you install the new one . No harm in trying at this point. There abit worst to fix then pins on a CPU but I've been successful a hand full of times.

Man of Honour
OP
Bent the pins, it tried to POST. I can get to the BIOS using one stick of RAM. Think the remaining pins must be RAM related. Think I'll give up and just use the new board.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's really cr@p luck!

It's a shame you didn't do this a month from now. The current CPU market is on a temporary hold until the latest Ryzen drops. From the loose reading I've been doing from the main thread the 3700X looks to be a "rough" contender with the 8700K but with more cores (better multi) and at a better price. You wouldn't suffer though rebuilding onto a new board as what you have is a solid combo and will be for a good few years to come yet.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah I am hoping that the 8086k is fine as it is a good clocker even with my own limitations by having the block the wrong way!

Man of Honour
OP
Cheers, I am tempted to drop the voltage down and sit at 5Ghz. Should be ample. Temps are much better than before with the WC path the right way!

Back
Top Bottom