New motor for Mrs

Soldato
The Juke and Qashqai are very un-Japanese when it comes to reliability. Probably some Renault influence there :p

Other Nissans are apocalypse proof.

Associate
although there are two in our close, pretty, but, they look very exposed, and seem to have ncap3 versus 5 for the yaris, I'm familiar with too

NCAP these days is more about specification of gadgets than the inherent safety of the vehicle, my Punto was the first 5 star car in its class on launch, the NCAP test changed to include things such as autonomous braking, lane change etc and now it is a 0 star car, yes zero, clearly I am going to die soon as its a death trap all of a sudden, I felt a lot safer on the 90k I've done when it was a 5 star car, now its been regraded I drive to work on edge :D :p :rolleyes: so I wouldn't put too much stock in the rating if you don't mind loosing out on those sort of things to save dough, certainly read the report and see if things brought up in the test concern you.

reliability is not really a concern in a modern Fiat, the benefit of the company using pretty much the same engine/drivetrain in everything around the globe for the past decade is that the reliability is quite well known, even if the 500X is not that old.

Soldato
Just saying..

:)

In context, looking at cold hard stats form warranty companies (e.g. https://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/198 its still rated as borderline 'good'.. Even the list of common issues cited is clearly scraping the barrel with 'Incorrect VIN' and 'Aircon needs more regular re-gassing' as reliability issues.

But then I am coming from the 'BMW' camp where things like the X3 35d I've just bought would make you cry if you checked out the warranty reliability score (spoiler, it's shocking!), That's a car where warranty is a must, compared to the QQ where I'd have zero issues not having a warranty!

Each to their own, I'm just saying for the kit you get its hard to beat, and I think for the money it's exceedingly good VFM.

Soldato
and now it is a 0 star car, yes zero, clearly I am going to die soon as its a death trap all of a sudden, I felt a lot safer on the 90k I've done when it was a 5 star car,
ok you have two less than my estate .. tv programme this week had compared a 10year old fiesta with todays. pillar+blind airbags better safety cell...
maybe fiat has these, but when I look at weight of suv's these days it's a consideration

anyway yaris vs 500 ...https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/fiat/500/26307 etc

48133521286_07b0d4112e_b_d.jpg

Associate
you missed the following items for all nissans

1.2 engine, timing chain is a pre curser to the engine giving up. Nissan have done a tsb for up to 5year 90k as its common
all diesels are know for blowing turbos, case of when not if

1.6 dig t petrol, clucth is not the strongest for the power

Qashqai specifc air con condensor goes porus

all nissans have main vehicle battery issues where they will fail suddenly, replaced with a different make now

juke cvt gearboxes know for failing.

Exhaust oxygen sensor failure

The rear oxygen sensor can fail due to an electrical short on cars built between 10 April 2014 and 7 May 2016. Also, the ECU might not warn the driver of this failure, so Nissan dealers should reprogram the system to fix this and display a warning symbol.

Brake hose wear
The right rear wheel arch protector on vehicles made up to 23 September 2016 might deform and rub against the right rear brake hose, damaging it in the process and potentially causing a brake fluid leak. Affected vehicles are to have a modified liner fitted.

Indicator failure
The indicator in the door mirror might not operate when the heated rear screen is switched on. This recall applies to Qashqais made between 12 June 2017 and 28 June 2017 and requires the indicator connections to be inspected by a dealer and potentially reworked.

Incorrect VIN plate
VIN plates fitted to some Qashqais were labelled with incorrect gross combination weight (GCW) numbers. This recall affects cars with both the manual and CVT gearboxes and requires Nissan dealers to fit new VIN plates with the correct information printed on them.

Excessive oil consumption
Some owners of the 1.2 petrol have found that this engine consumes an excessive amount of oil, so check the dipstick level to make sure it isn’t low. If it is, that could indicate high oil use and potential neglect from the previous owner.

Timing chain rattling
There have been reported problems with rattling timing chains on 1.2-litre petrol models under acceleration. Pay close attention to this on your test drive. We’ve also heard some concerns with the stop/start system not working as it should.

Parking sensors
The parking sensors can stop working or sound when you’re not close to anything as a result of water ingress.

Air conditioning
The air conditioning can need regular regassing, so check that it works when you look at the car. A regas isn’t cheap, because Nissan uses a more environmentally friendly refrigerant. Compressors can also fail, in which case you’re looking at about £300 for a new one.

Reverse gear
Some four-wheel-drive models can slip out of reverse gear, so check this as part of your test drive.

Is a used Nissan Qashqai hatchback reliable?
Unfortunately not, judging by our latest reliability survey. While earlier Qashqais performed acceptably, 47% of second-generation diesel models and 46% of petrol versions had problems – a pretty disastrous showing, in other words. A high volume of electrical faults was largely to blame, but there were other problems, too, all of which means the Qashqai puts a serious dent in Nissan’s reputation for making reliable cars.

Soldato
Just to throw my hat in the ring, my next door neighbor bought a 12 plate Juke last year and the engine kicked the bucket on the motorway. Luckily the warranty covered the 5k repair bill but I wouldn't touch one of those monstrosities with a barge pole.

Back
Top Bottom