Old 60GB / 80GB HDDs - any use anymore? Or scrap

Soldato
Just sorting out backups to 1903 and found in my back up "store" some HDDs with 2015 back ups.

Is there any demand anywhere for such drives - or is it the hammer!

Mel

Soldato
OP
:rolleyes: BUT I bought these for (probably) £100! is there no comeback from the manufacturer for selling me goods that would soon be obsolete and worthless! :p

Soldato
OP
Take the magnets out, rest is junk.

Stripped 3 down and opened them up. What are the platters made of? Where are the magnets please?

Make sure you don't tip the drive upside down, the data might fall off making it unrecoverable.
-
Too late - its fallen off!

The drive seems to be mostly reamed out Aluminium - perhaps if I collect enough I can sell as scrap metal?

Soldato
Rare earth neodymium type magnets I suspect. I use some tiny ones at work to hold schedule sheets to the side of a cabinet but I have to use the round edge against the metal as the flat is almost too strong to prize off again!

Soldato
OP
If I paid £100 for my 80GB HDD and I have scrapped the drive that means I paid £50 / magnet - as that's all I have left! (i know I have had the use of the drives etc . . . .)

Soldato
OP
Just keep them. The data will still be readable for a good few years.

Yes but the data has been backed up since then and the widows versions were XP or before! So not really very useful data. And 4 old HDDs are a big volume to store in my back up (steel cupboard) in the garage. Leaves more room for the wine!!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom