Kryonaut abrasive??

Soldato
... They do know how many were sold though :confused:

They've offered support to anyone affected. The bad batch is very old now. You may notice that very few people have had this issue based on the fact anyone searching online for it ends up making an account to post here. What's the issue?

Associate
Thanks for the feedback and input.

You might also want to contact OCUK directly through your official channels to upgrade your account to show that you're an official for your company :)

Will tell Marsi next week once he is back in the office :)

Agreed, otherwise it's not really taking responsibility, is it?

"We've put a load of faulty product out there that will damage your heatsink and CPU, we've got no way to trace it, we've got no idea if you're going to buy it or how much is still out there, but we're just leaving it there until our customers have bought it and put it on their hardware. Because profits."

Posting an apology on a website is meaningless unless you actually do something to deal with the issue of what faulty product is still in the retail channel.

Luckily we do know how many were sold. It's was batch of about 800 pcs. Taking into account that we have a high six figure amount of syringes out per year it would not be in relation to take out everything in the market. It's basically the production of one day vs everything that we do in one year.
As I said if you experience anything like this in the thread - contact us and we will figure out a compensation for you. Communicating with you as customers and preventing this from happening again is taking responsibility.

As for everything that is sold through Caseking or OCUK I can say that all products in their sales channels are much younger and for sure won't have these issues. Again, this was from early 2018.

Associate
Indeed if problem was more widespread there should be lots of posts in many forums.
I’m not too sure about that. Most people don’t change TIM very often and many people that frequent places like these forums will buy stuff months in advance to prepare for a build. Or they could even buy this TIM for their business and their customers won’t be checking for this problem.

I’ve a feeling this thread will get necro’d quite often.

Associate
Isn't it carbon based? So either graphite or diamond, but graphite would be conductive. TG don't disclose their secret sauce.

Edit - Dug around and apparently it's nano-aluminum and zinc-oxide based, so may not have carbon in it.
Toothpaste is made from very fine particles - Calcium phosphate for Colgate’s and Sodium bicarbonate for Arm and hammer etc.

The Sodium bicarbonate is harder than Calcium phosphate and so scratches your teeth more. Strangely even very fine powder is abrasive. The aluminium and zinc oxide I imagine will be abrasive but then so will all the other manufacturers. As mentioned the marks in straight lines suggests rubbing in one direction. Perhaps that’s how they got the mirror finish at the factory where the cpu was made, and perhaps the paste is just highlighting it.

Associate
I’m not too sure about that. Most people don’t change TIM very often and many people that frequent places like these forums will buy stuff months in advance to prepare for a build. Or they could even buy this TIM for their business and their customers won’t be checking for this problem.

I’ve a feeling this thread will get necro’d quite often.
I will be replacing my thermal paste on my oc FX8350 purchased as a breeze bundle from OcUK in dec15 and starting to have boot issues unless I take the of off. Actually it may be the kolink PSU that’s at fault.

Any way I will look at the base and take some photos when I clean and then apply kryonaut and post the photos for comparison.

Caporegime
Toothpaste is made from very fine particles - Calcium phosphate for Colgate’s and Sodium bicarbonate for Arm and hammer etc.

The Sodium bicarbonate is harder than Calcium phosphate and so scratches your teeth more. Strangely even very fine powder is abrasive. The aluminium and zinc oxide I imagine will be abrasive but then so will all the other manufacturers. As mentioned the marks in straight lines suggests rubbing in one direction. Perhaps that’s how they got the mirror finish at the factory where the cpu was made, and perhaps the paste is just highlighting it.

Have you read the response from Thermal Grizzly. Theyve explained how it happened.

Soldato
Got a small tube of this that i have not got around to using so still in unopened packet.

Bought from OCUK mid 2018. Don't think i will bother now. :(

Associate
was this the reason some of us said the paste was really dry out of the tube?

I had used some before and it was perfect them bought a larger tube and it was very hard to get out of the tube and spreading it was nearly impossible,it was like dry peanut butter

V F

V F

Soldato
I have a pack that hasn't been opened and see there is no batch number.

Perhaps I'm unaffected. I bought it on 20 August 2017. Since @TG-Support said it was early 2018.

Soldato
I think this thread should be moved to the CPU section so more people can see it. I stumbled across it by pure accident and was going to put a 2018 batch of Kryonaught on my new 3700x tonight!!
Anyone know how to tell if it's the bad batch?

Soldato
I think this thread should be moved to the CPU section so more people can see it. I stumbled across it by pure accident and was going to put a 2018 batch of Kryonaught on my new 3700x tonight!!
Anyone know how to tell if it's the bad batch?

As far as I'm aware there isn't any way to tell. They don't have batch numbers etc.

Caporegime
Awww man, I just bought some to do a repaste on my laptop, I'm guessing a new tube should fine by now right?

EDIT - Scratch that (ho ho), I won't risk it, MX-4 repaste it is, and returning the Kryonaut :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom