Neighbours extension advice

Associate
Hey all,

So my neighbours are currently having an extension built. To achieve this they have knocked down their side of the garage between our houses, currently leaving our garage, with what was a internal wall now as the outside wall and the roof cut in half.

It's was mentioned to my brother while he was talking to our neighbours, that they aren't doing anything to this wall and possibly the roof, that can't be right can it? Will the wall not need some kind of water proofing/render and of course the roof sealing and facher boards put on.

Before they started, they gave us a letter explaining the need for garage removal and that they would "make good" the wall. What does "make good" mean.

Does anyone have any experience or advice, about the situation.

Thanks,

James.

Soldato
Did you sign a party wall agreement for the outbuilding? In general look up "party wall agreement" and it will explain everything, but they pretty much have to make sure you're back to where you started at their cost. There are all sorts of rules regarding building on the property line, foundations, doing things that affect your property and what they have to do to fix it.

Tea Drinker
Don
If you didn't sign and agree a party wall agreement you can stop all works.

If you have they should have detailed out what they are doing.

The dividing wall was not ever considered to be external so may need waterproofing, they should be dressing the roof to maintain a waterproof line.

Soldato
My folks had a pretty similar extension done years ago where they did the same - knocking down their half of a detached joined garage.

The builders did make good the finishing on the then exposed external wall by adding a render to it.

Presumably if they fail to sort your wall out they'd be liable for any repairs or damages to things inside the garage.

Associate
OP
Hi all,

Thanks for the comments so far, I'm looking into what was actually signed my my parents right now. But from what I remember is was very informal and just said make wall good.

Here's some pictures of it currently, it's been exposed like this for a few weeks now through rain and shine. I was actually planning on have a vent put in this was as I have a laser cutter in the garage but, the neighbour has already said we are not allowed to as it basically vents into their property?

Thanks,

James.

Associate
OP
OK, found the paper work and it is a Party wall agreement but only states "make good party wall and roof", doesn't give details of what they will actually do.

A house round the corner which did a similar thing, applied render to their neighbours garage. Should I speak to a builder and find out if they think the wall will need something on it?

Thanks,

James.

Soldato
Rebuild it using matching brick.

It's not really possible to see how much of an eyesore it'll be once their job is finished. If it'll be mostly hidden I'd be less fussy.

I'd have wanted it made good as one of their first jobs, not just when they decide to get around to it.

Soldato
... but what's the construction of the wall on the opposite side ? presumbly that sets a minimum standard ....
if it were double skinned, and even if not, if you were exploiting that insulation in the garage then making good could mean restore original thermal as well as weather proofness.

Soldato
Discuss with your neighbours what they plan to do, they should make good. If you're not happy, maybe contact your local council planning officer for advice. Whatever the case if there are any changes that effect your property or alter it in any way and may cause a problem it should be corrected and made good.

Soldato
Discuss with your neighbours what they plan to do, they should make good

This.

Something to consider: if they are building close to your wall, how are they going to make good your wall? But I wouldn't worry too much; professional builders do this sort of thing all the time:

bremen1874 said:
I'd have wanted it made good as one of their first jobs, not just when they decide to get around to it.

Associate
Is there not a party wall surveyor involved? If you've got a party wall agreement these are usually with a surveyor in tow to document the condition before, and after, and then making good/repairing can be done.

Building Control won't get involved...

Soldato
Is there not a party wall surveyor involved? If you've got a party wall agreement these are usually with a surveyor in tow to document the condition before, and after, and then making good/repairing can be done.

Building Control won't get involved...

They will if the neighbours are not sticking to planning rules (eg building too close to the property line, etc). If they are the sort of people to cut a garage in half and then not make good, they will likely be cutting corners elsewhere.

Soldato
No, don't contact the Council planning department, as it's not a planning matter. It is a civil matter between the respective neighbours

This is just absolutely and utterly wrong advice. It is both a planning and building control matter.

@bulb66 you should find a very quick and amicable response from your neighbour. If not, speak to your councils Development Control dept asap.

Associate
They will if the neighbours are not sticking to planning rules (eg building too close to the property line, etc). If they are the sort of people to cut a garage in half and then not make good, they will likely be cutting corners elsewhere.

Well yes, but that's building quality issues. Party Wall Act matters are not for BC to get involved, so if this is just that, then it's not for them. It can only be remedied via an injunction and, in all likeliness, a judge would say that a Party Wall Act agreement would have been granted so agree terms etc. and a load of money would have been wasted for no real gain...

Back
Top Bottom