Women's World Cup 2019 Thread

Soldato
I'm really enjoying this world cup. Their tactics are very good, as units they are solid but most of the women players have awful technical ability which introduces a brilliant element of randomness and surprise.

Also - they don't dive or behave nearly as bad as the men. It is hugely refreshing. I prefer watching a lower level of football played in a better spirit (which surprises me greatly)

Man of Honour
LOL started typing something into google and first thing that popped up was Alex Morgan... I guess a lot of people been googling...

Caporegime
Some good finishing but I think goalkeepers could have done better on both goals, if the Swedish goalkeeper had stayed on her line she'd have had a simple save and Germany's goalkeeper let it go under her.

Man of Honour
That's it then.

England v USA
Sweden v Netherlands

Netherlands looked a dangerous team - they seem to understand how to control most of the pitch just a bit lacking for consistent finishing - or their game would have easily been high scoring.

Caporegime
Some good finishing but I think goalkeepers could have done better on both goals, if the Swedish goalkeeper had stayed on her line she'd have had a simple save and Germany's goalkeeper let it go under her.
The women's goalkeepers are shocking.

How can they be so bad... it's like watching an out-fielder having a go for a few mins. The only time I've seen worse is when I've been between the sticks myself ;)

Fancy USA to win it all unfortunately. They are on another level at times and reckon they could beat many mens national sides really
As per the other thread they routinely get beat by under-15 boys teams.

Let's not get carried away eh :p

Associate
My missus is from luxembourg and some of there players are just local farmers etc lol
yup but all the teams the U.S ladies play are part timers. but they're not men and would be at a significant disadvantage. As mentioned by foxeye the best ranked ladies teams lose to under 15/16 teams fairly often. They struggle to find competitive ladies teams to play friendlies with and youth teams of club level mens teams is about the right level for them.

The result he's mentioning specifically was the U.S ladies ranked number 1 losing 5-2 to FC Dallas under 15's youth team.

Last edited:
Soldato
yup but all the teams the U.S ladies play are part timers. but they're not men and would be at a significant disadvantage. As mentioned by foxeye the best ranked ladies teams lose to under 15/16 teams fairly often. They struggle to find competitive ladies teams to play friendlies with and youth teams of club level mens teams is about the right level for them.

The result he's mentioning specifically was the U.S ladies ranked number 1 losing 5-2 to FC Dallas under 15's youth team.
Wow when did that happen?

fez

fez

Caporegime
Fancy USA to win it all unfortunately. They are on another level at times and reckon they could beat many mens national sides really

This is why Womens sport is separate. Its nice to think that the top women in sport could compete with the men but thats simply not true in 99% of sports no matter how good they appear to be. The Williams sisters have been utterly dominant in womens tennis but wouldn't even be top 200 in mens tennis. Womens football is improving all the time but its not even close to the worst mens professional sides. They play nice football but its because the quality of opposition allows it. When you watch testimonial matches or charity games with ex-pro players in their 40s you could be forgiven for thinking they are still great. They play nice football, score some cracking goals but its all being played at walking pace and thats one of the biggest differences when you get to the top levels.

Once women sort out the goalkeeping issue I think it will suddenly go up a notch as well.

Back
Top Bottom