*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
But then sky would probably make a loss. Netflix won't sell the licence to sky for cheap. Just like sky wouldn't to virgin. It's why you usually have to pay full whack for sky sports on virgin isn't it?
Makes complete sense to me. Offer it to people for cheaper than they can get it direct to lock them into Sky. Either way, Netflix through Sky is cheaper for me.

Soldato
Makes complete sense to me. Offer it to people for cheaper than they can get it direct to lock them into Sky. Either way, Netflix through Sky is cheaper for me.
I pay for Netflix separately so I can get hdr content, I'm happy to pay more for that benefit. In my example with Sky sports, I guess sky have more sway/there is more demand for that content and so they can dictate their prices more.

Soldato
I pay for Netflix separately so I can get hdr content, I'm happy to pay more for that benefit.

Wow, I think a lot are missing the point here and are overpaying.

The Netflix bundled with SKY is the 4k HDR/DV package when you sign up through sky you enter your existing Netflix details and automatically your account is then billed through SKY that's the only difference all your log ins on all your devices stay the same, you still have 4k HDR through native apps / streaming sticks / smart TVs / etc etc, with the advantage of using Netflix through the miniboxes on non smart TVs

To recap - Nothing changes on the Netflix side. Netflix is not then locked to the Q box.

Anyway I'm looking forward to watching Stranger things next Thursday in 4K Dolby Vision through my apple TV with my SKY ultimate Netflix account....

Soldato
Wow, I think a lot are missing the point here and are overpaying.

The Netflix bundled with SKY is the 4k HDR/DV package when you sign up through sky you enter your existing Netflix details and automatically your account is then billed through SKY that's the only difference all your log ins on all your devices stay the same, you still have 4k HDR through native apps / streaming sticks / smart TVs / etc etc, with the advantage of using Netflix through the miniboxes on non smart TVs

To recap - Nothing changes on the Netflix side. Netflix is not then locked to the Q box.

Anyway I'm looking forward to watching Stranger things next Thursday in 4K Dolby Vision through my apple TV with my SKY ultimate Netflix account....

Well it is, so long as you have the UHD Sky bundle.
With the recent "Ultimate on Demand" offer for £3/month for up to 18 months, people who were on a Sky UHD bundle, 2TB box, etc were getting Netflix Premium, whilst those on Q without UHD were getting Standard.

Soldato
For the last couple of days I’ve had a ‘No Satellite Signal’ on my Sky Q box. :(
I’m not sure why it would suddenly do that, not knocked any cables, dish looks the same / not obstructed at all and the UI comes up and populated with shows and things. (No access to TV guide or recordings due to Q locking the hard drive after a period of no signal)

Got an engineer coming in a week, but I thought I might be able to get some advice from you guys!

Soldato
Well it is, so long as you have the UHD Sky bundle.
With the recent "Ultimate on Demand" offer for £3/month for up to 18 months, people who were on a Sky UHD bundle, 2TB box, etc were getting Netflix Premium, whilst those on Q without UHD were getting Standard.

Fair enough you need to have the silver box (2TB) and multiroom.. However you would need those anyway for UHD Sky TV or to watch on a mini box.

To be Frank it's pointless upgrading to sky q unless you want one of those 2 upgrade paths

Caporegime
For the last couple of days I’ve had a ‘No Satellite Signal’ on my Sky Q box. :(
I’m not sure why it would suddenly do that, not knocked any cables, dish looks the same / not obstructed at all and the UI comes up and populated with shows and things. (No access to TV guide or recordings due to Q locking the hard drive after a period of no signal)

Got an engineer coming in a week, but I thought I might be able to get some advice from you guys!
Doubt there’s much you can do. Sky Go will still work through laptop or desktop via hdmi though?

Associate

Just try unplugging the box for an hour, usually works for me.

Soldato
Thanks both, Sky Go is an option for everything but what I was trying to watch (MUTV) I thought it might have been because of that as for a time it showed as an open order on my account and figured there was confusion and they’d deactivated my account!

I left it unplugged overnight the other day and no better unfortunately.

Just seems odd it’s died without any obvious reason!

Associate
Sorry if this has already been answered.

Can the Mini box be used to "control" the main box (set recordings etc?)

Due to the layout of my house, I want to avoid running the sat cable into my lounge. I understand I can use a mini box instead via ethernet. Are the mini boxes capable of 4k/UHD?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom