What happened to manual transmissions?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
So my parents are looking to replace their Mk 6 GTI, but my mum “hates automatics”. Yes, she’s wrong and should embrace change, but it’s astonishing how there’s very little in the way of (relatively) powerful cars with manual transmissions.

S3: auto only
SQ2: auto only
Golf R: auto only
Golf GTI: national importer no longer offers manuals. (Not the time to buy a new Mk7.5 anyway, but I digress)
A35 AMG: auto only
XC40 T5: no manuals

Even further down the range, the VW T-Roc 2.0 190 is auto-only, as is the equivalent Q2 and Q3.

If you want a manual, you have to get a 1.4 or a Hyundai i30N.

FWIW we’re trying to change her mind but it raises an interesting point. When did this happen?

PS: she won’t have a BMW
PPS: forgot about the Cupra and the Vrs

Man of Honour
i30N it is then ;)

Sadly manuals and manual handbrakes seem to be being phased out

Slightly annoying as my dad's new vehicles have an automatic parking brake so if he moves or borrows mine he forgets to put the handbrake on - fortunately as it has automatic transmission it normally stays in place in park.

Associate
I used to hate automatics myself but the S tronic box in my S3 is superb - have your parents test drove a car with one of these boxes in?

I can also put mine into manual mode where I can use the gear lever or paddles to move up/down the box, apologies if this is something you already know.

My hatred was based on the older auto boxes, which were slow and clunky.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
OP
Slightly annoying as my dad's new vehicles have an automatic parking brake so if he moves or borrows mine he forgets to put the handbrake on - fortunately as it has automatic transmission it normally stays in place in park.
Both of my cars have automatic electronic handbrakes but before then I never used the manual handbrake unless I was parked on a hill. People who leave the car in neutral with the handbrake up confuse me.

Soldato
Well that's a little silly, if he drives an auto does he go for a clutch?

I personally hate electronic handbrakes, nothing more reassuring than a physical click.

Man of Honour
Manual transmissions are crap and were popular mainly for reliability, efficiency and cost reasons.

Quite why anyone would want a manual fake SUV soft roader thing is beyond me.

Soldato
Manual transmissions are crap and were popular mainly for reliability, efficiency and cost reasons.

Quite why anyone would want a manual fake SUV soft roader thing is beyond me.
Manuals are crap because they are reliable efficient and cheap. Okay makes sense.

Man of Honour
Manuals are crap because they are reliable efficient and cheap. Okay makes sense.

Previously auto gearboxes were unreliable, inefficient and expensive to own as a result. This is not the case theses days, therefore the manual exists purely as a cost saving option on most cars.

Outside of a pure sports car I cannot understand why you'd want a manual box on a modern car.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
OP
She won't have a bmw or automatic? Basically ruling out the best drivetrain combos available to the average buyer. Sounds sensible.
Have you ever met a 70-year-old Polish woman? Just don’t bother trying to reason with her.
“What do I do with my other hand?”

We’re slowly trying to convince her but it’s hard work!

Soldato
The Golf and its relatives is more due them all being wound down ready for the Mk8 production I think, they're limiting what they need to accommodate on production lines.

Caporegime
It’s the same with trucks articulated tractors especially - when I first started driving them an automatic was almost unheard of, these days it’s the complete opposite even on many smaller trucks which do still tend to be manual.

Don’t start me on electric handbrakes which also seem to be making inroads.

I’d guess a part of it is down to the drive for better mpg, many automatics these days are more frugal than their manual counterparts which was not the case a few years ago.

And with increasing congestion, who’d want a manual if they seriously considered this when looking for a new car?

The rise of automatic performance cars doesn’t surprise me, faster at changing gear , usually have more gears than manual and you don’t have to think about gear changing just concentrate on driving the car.

Makes sense.

Have you ever met a 70-year-old Polish woman? Just don’t bother trying to reason with her.

A very good friend of mine is 58 and only half Polish, reason doesn’t come into her thought process, your stuffed mate! :p :D

Soldato
Isn't the manual Golf R a bit half-arsed though and seems to have issues handing the stock power?

The Fiesta ST is still manual only I think, so at least Ford still know how to make a sporty car. So there is that option (and it's one of the best options for a hot hatch tbh) :)

Electronic handbrakes are terrible. How are you supposed to handbrake turn? Also you can use the handbrake to stop in an emergency if for some reason the pedal doesn't respond (which is why it's also called an emergency brake). How do you to that with an electronic one, since it has no physical connection?

Last edited:
Associate
It is probably due to autos in the premium sector being more reliable with high performance overall which results in less warranty returns than a manual, customer satisfaction etc, and also actually being able to handle the power throughput of modern engines with more abuse protection via software.

I do know some manufacturers autos are over developed now and that will probably decline slighty in the future until it falls back inline

Back
Top Bottom