• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8700K idle/load times out the box clocking.

Associate
Putting this here since I am not exactly overclocking.

Currently running my entire PC at stock, whatever they came out the box at, is what they stay at, too scared and cheap to change that. But recently, say start of the year, I noticed my CPU temps went up.
Right now I idle anywhere between 35-50c and under load get around 60 average to about 70 max.

My questions are; is this normal/safe? What do you need to know?

MB: Asus ROG Strix z370
CPU: I7 8700K 3.7ghZ
Cooler: Kraken x62 AIO Running 4 fans on it, all pulling air out of the case.
Got 3 140m Noctua fans

Soldato
If your idle is 35-50c, then something is going on in the background. An idle temp should stay the same, relative to ambient temp of course. Load sounds normal. AIO coolers aren't any better than high end air coolers, especially if you haven't delidded with liquid metal.

How's your airflow? What other fans do you have and what are they doing? If you want to bring your CPU temps down, you can change the AIO fans to pull air in and have it exhausted by other case fans. Yes that will increase the temp within your case, but if your GPU etc. are doing ok temp wise, it will cool your CPU as you'll be pulling cold air over the radiator as opposed to exhausting warm case air.

Associate
OP
I should say by idle I mean a few browser tabs open, researching things and such, so maybe that has something to do with it.

In regards to airflow; I have 3x 140 noctua 2000rpm taking air in, 2 from the front and 1 from the back right by the RAD/pump and then the 4x noctua 2000rpm taking the air out over the RAD. All in a Corsair 750D which has pretty decent airflow. GPU is normally fine so I will have to try that as you said, I am going to see if I did actually put too much paste on as some have suggested elsewhere while checking my backplate too.

Soldato
I should say by idle I mean a few browser tabs open, researching things and such, so maybe that has something to do with it.

In regards to airflow; I have 3x 140 noctua 2000rpm taking air in, 2 from the front and 1 from the back right by the RAD/pump and then the 4x noctua 2000rpm taking the air out over the RAD. All in a Corsair 750D which has pretty decent airflow. GPU is normally fine so I will have to try that as you said, I am going to see if I did actually put too much paste on as some have suggested elsewhere while checking my backplate too.

Don't forget you still need to maintain decent case airflow, so you need both in and out fans. Ideally, fans on one side going in one direction and fans on the other side in the opposite direction. As for paste, too much paste is a myth, the pressure of the mounting bracket squeezes out any excess. It does make a mess though! It could, however, be worth redoing it, just in-case you created a void or something.

Associate
OP
Don't forget you still need to maintain decent case airflow, so you need both in and out fans. Ideally, fans on one side going in one direction and fans on the other side in the opposite direction. As for paste, too much paste is a myth, the pressure of the mounting bracket squeezes out any excess. It does make a mess though! It could, however, be worth redoing it, just in-case you created a void or something.
I read somewhere that people have fans going both directions on their RAD, which gives the benefit of both, though it would mess with the airflow a little and just recycle that air, though works for some cases. Going to try and have the PC on load for a few hours and then see how long it takes to cool down, apparently if it takes a little too long that could be an issue with the pump or the unit all together.

TrM

TrM

Associate
Putting this here since I am not exactly overclocking.

Currently running my entire PC at stock, whatever they came out the box at, is what they stay at, too scared and cheap to change that. But recently, say start of the year, I noticed my CPU temps went up.
Right now I idle anywhere between 35-50c and under load get around 60 average to about 70 max.

My questions are; is this normal/safe? What do you need to know?

MB: Asus ROG Strix z370
CPU: I7 8700K 3.7ghZ
Cooler: Kraken x62 AIO Running 4 fans on it, all pulling air out of the case.
Got 3 140m Noctua fans

are you suing the nzxt cam software on the pc and using the adaptive pump speed based on temp/usage?

the temp look completly nromal for a i7 8700k and if you are going on about idle temps atm in kiddermisnter its been very hot now for 2 weeks and in my house the temps are really getting high i wouldn't be suprised if the temp around the computer is not much below 35 degress :)

Associate
OP
are you suing the nzxt cam software on the pc and using the adaptive pump speed based on temp/usage?

the temp look completly nromal for a i7 8700k and if you are going on about idle temps atm in kiddermisnter its been very hot now for 2 weeks and in my house the temps are really getting high i wouldn't be suprised if the temp around the computer is not much below 35 degress :)

Currently got Cam monitoring the CPU temp itself and not the liquid temp. My room is pretty damn cold compared to the rest of the house, so the temp jump was out of the blue.

Back
Top Bottom