• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
The £200 board above has 10 + 2 VRMs and up rated ALC887 Audio.

You don't need to spend £700 on a board to get a good one.

Board vendors have said they are already selling more 400 series boards than they are Intel and I think they have very high expectations from Ryzen 3000 so all the "premium" marketing BS is moving to where they think the bulk of sales are going to come from, they are predicting a shift from Intel to AMD.

Boards over £300 are going to be full of flimflam marketing and little more, don't buy them, don't justify the pricing.
Thank you, i understand now.

Good to hear, thanks for clearing it up. Just read a lot of complains about supposedly bad vrams on these mobos, probably people being over critical or talking about extreme overclocking.

Caporegime
Good to hear, thanks for clearing it up. Just read a lot of complains about supposedly bad vrams on these mobos, probably people being over critical or talking about extreme overclocking.

Yeah i don't know where that would come from, the VRMs on the Gaming X are very good, plenty for the 3950X, even that horrid looking ASUS board has 8+2 Phase VRMs, those costing £300 have 12+2, the really expensive ones have 16+2 which is complete overkill.

Anyway.... Steve is such a tease.

8tyMQ2g.png

Caporegime
I thought it was just ocuk not doing pre orders?

It's not really a pre order is it, ordering Sunday for delivery Monday.

I've seen nothing official to suggest anyone's going live with pre-orders tomorrow.
Your second part makes no sense.

The planned release date is the 7th which is a Sunday, as a hard launch.
Delivery won't be Monday as there's no collections Sunday.
Some people are saying there's pre-orders going live tomorrow.

Soldato
I dropped out of this thread 300 pages and have been ghosting it since. I'm seeing VRAM come up quite a few times as an important factor, what's going on?

I guess you mean VRMs nor VRAM :p VRMs are what supply power to the CPU, they convert 12v to the ~1.4V the CPU requires. But 1.4v @ 100w+ means there are a lot of amps, so better VRMs and more of them spread the load and give you a better supply for your CPU, especially more important on the higher end CPUs.

Soldato
Ahh damn, that glance reading making me see VRAM :(

It's something I've never looked at what picking up a mobo. The answer to this question is probably "the spec list", but where do you see about the VRM.

Soldato
I've seen nothing official to suggest anyone's going live with pre-orders tomorrow.

I'm sure I read pre orders go live on the 1st and delivery Monday the 8th, unless I've been dreaming :p

Soldato

it's rather odd. I definitely picked it up from somewhere. There's a bunch of independent forums/etc saying the same and 1 site. But otherwise... yeah, no hint of it as a thing that's happening.

Soldato
I guess you mean VRMs nor VRAM :p VRMs are what supply power to the CPU, they convert 12v to the ~1.4V the CPU requires. But 1.4v @ 100w+ means there are a lot of amps, so better VRMs and more of them spread the load and give you a better supply for your CPU, especially more important on the higher end CPUs.

Sort of, it's the MOSFETs that supply the power and the control circuitry regulates how many amps they output at a given time, collectively they makeup what we call the VRMs, better VRM circuitry supply cleaner power and are better at regulating shifts in amperage (less under/over shoot, quicker response, more accurate) along with less power being converted into heat, at least that's my understanding.

Not that any of that changes your conclusion that better VRMs mean better supply of power to the CPU. :)

Back
Top Bottom