Spec me...

Associate
Hey folks,

Coming to the end of my PCH on a Giulia Veloce which has been a hoot to drive the last couple of years despite a couple of electrical issues (alarm sensors, start / stop system.)

On paper a Golf R seems to tick every box, except the theft risk - It's not an option (same for BMW M1XX / RS3 / S3).

That's put me to thinking about a Golf GTI PP with a remap, a little more low-key than the R and a lower theft risk, but ticks all the other boxes.

Other thoughts I've had (and will be driving over the next few days)
M235/M240
MK3 TTS
435 / 440

Ideally looking for: 5 years old max, automatic and quick-ish. Fuel economy doesn't matter as I do <6000 a year. Don't really want to spend over £20k if I can help it, and being able to pop the dog in (labrador) on the odd occasion (really, 2-5 times a year for a couple miles) would be a nice to have.

Associate
Golf GTI PP with a remap is the same as an Octavia VRS with a diff (comes on the 245 post fl or ltd ed 230 pre fl). remap the same as the golf to ~310bhp and even less a theft risk... but, possibly not quite as good a drive, with a trade off towards more space/practicality.

other left-field thoughts... i30N fastback, Kia Stinger or jag xe (250bhp 2.0 i4 or even XE S 340/XF S 380bhp 3.0 v6)

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Doesn't matter what you choose I'm gonna come try nick it... so you might as well just choose something you love/want regardless of theft risk.

Man of Honour
so you might as well just choose something you love/want regardless of theft risk.

Performance Golf theft risk is kind of high :( to the point I get crazy high insurance quotes for it that are considerably more than many high end cars (I generally get very good rates for most vehicles some exceptions aside).

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Ah, forgot about insurance. Hey I paid 3.3k to insure my m5 at 25... It didn't get stolen until I was closer to 30 I don't think and by then the premiums were down to about a grand.

I'm not actually sure if this post is helpful or not haha.

It's never been included in my thought process. Fancy cars get stolen. ****** cars get stolen. I wouldn't let the fear drive my decision, but cost of insurance would be a factor, that I missed.

Man of Honour
Ah, forgot about insurance. Hey I paid 3.3k to insure my m5 at 25... It didn't get stolen until I was closer to 30 I don't think and by then the premiums were down to about a grand.

I'm not actually sure if this post is helpful or not haha.

It's never been included in my thought process. Fancy cars get stolen. ****** cars get stolen. I wouldn't let the fear drive my decision, but cost of insurance would be a factor, that I missed.

Normally I wouldn't let it bother me any kind of nice car there is a chance it will get nicked - but a nice Golf is a rather broad target :(

It is actually kind of funny - look at the stats for cars stolen in the UK and the Golf is a kind of odd entry compared to the rest of the top 10, etc.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I'd take a Mk7 Clubsport but they seem to be over 20k, so never mind :p
Golf GTI PP is probably the best car for your needs, although you can get Leon Cupras for under £20k

Associate
OP
Not staying in a garage unfortunately, parked on a drive in front of the house.

Liked the Octavia, but felt it might be too big for needs.
M235i was awesome (what an engine), but compromises the space a bit too much.
GTI....was great. Not particularly special, but did everything well. Pretty settled it's going to be a GTI.

Only managed to drive the DSG which seem to be 3-4k more than a manual of similar spec (7 not 7.5) so getting into a manual on Thursday. Been a while, but all the research I've done suggests that the GTI really suits the manual box!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Golf is all the car you will need. Make sure it’s a PP if it’s a 7. If you’re setting your sights on a manual, I wouldn’t bother with ACC. It’s awesome with my DSG but I can only imagine it to be a pain coupled to a manual gearbox.

Associate
OP
Good feedback mjt, thanks! I'll likely want to go to Stage 1 at some point so I depending on how the manual test drive goes, the DSG is still very much on the cards.

Back
Top Bottom