Poll: Austrian Grand Prix 2019, Spielberg - Race 9/21

Rate the 2019 Austiran Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
Associate
Dodnt Rosberg do same move to Lewis on this track? Didnt get punished did he?

I feel sorry for the stewards now, every little incident will be picked up on and they'll make sure they follow the law after Canada.

Caporegime
If the tracks weren't built with runoffs Leclerc wouldn't have been alongside, as soon as Verstappen dives down the inside he has clear track position and the onus is on Leclerc to avoid a collision. Leclerc could have manouvred his car to come back at Max down the inside on the following straght but that would meant accepting he had lost the place which drivers today rarely want to do.
But the regulations also state that Max should always leave enough space for another car if they’re side by side?

Caporegime

I feel sorry for the stewards now, every little incident will be picked up on and they'll make sure they follow the law after Canada.

Thats the whole point of consistency, which is what everyone has been clamouring for, over the last few years.

Soldato

Sure Nico got 10 second penalty

Soldato
No they are not, the inside car must always give room to the outside car.

Vettel did not give room to Hamilton.

Max did not give room to leclerc

You can see max lifting off the steering to push Charles wide max was in complete control and could have very easily held a tighter line given room and allowed Charles the width needed.

Kind if exactly like he did the lap before on the same corner.

Vettel was penalised for unsafe rejoining the track, Max was on the inside for the corner and very slightly ahead at the time of the collision. I don't think Max should be punished for what was hard,but fair(I feel) racing, as I said the two situations are completely different

I was hard racing from Max for sure, but if this is punished then all people have to do to protect their position is to keep their foot in around the outside and get hit then wait for the stewards to sort - we want racing from racers..

Soldato
I have no dog in this fight, I like both drivers equally, but the moment leclerc left that tight line open with Max on DRS steaming up behind, he gave away the corner.
I suspect after he left it open, he might have been better braking early and trying to the undercut slow in fast out to get back under max and have the inside for the next corner.
Would have been a tough ask as Max would still have DRS, but it would have been better than banging wheels in a corner he already lost.

Like you, i would have loved either of them to win. At the end of the day though, racing is racing. Whatever way you look at this, Max outbreaked Charles and just did what Max always does. It's racing and if the win is taken away from him, F1 should hang it's head in shame.

Caporegime
Vettel was penalised for unsafe rejoining the track, Max was on the inside for the corner and very slightly ahead at the time of the collision. I don't think Max should be punished for what was hard,but fair(I feel) racing, as I said the two situations are completely different

I was hard racing from Max for sure, but if this is punished then all people have to do to protect their position is to keep their foot in around the outside and get hit then wait for the stewards to sort - we want racing from racers..

But we also want drivers to stick to the rules as laid out currently.

If rules get changed in future so be it, but currently, you MUST leave a cars width.

Vettel didn't leave a cars width to Hamilton, Hamilton having all four wheels over the white line.

Max didn't leave a cars width to leclerc with Charles having to go right off track.

Caporegime
Ah yeah, I thought it was closer to the end than it was but they were still able to make a decision within minutes

Yes but at end of race, or close to it like this one and the Ricciardo incidents, they have the luxury of time to get it sorted and let everyone have their say.

Had Canada happened on last lap, they would have done the same and left it till well after the race to investigate.

Thats the procedures they use.

Associate

I think it will come down to how you define ahead or side-by-side. The fact the collision was wheel to wheel suggests you can’t get much more side to side. I think the problem is that it looks like Max intentionally pushed out to not leave space rather than it being a slide. He could have left space but intentionally didn’t. Obviously that is my interpretation of the footage, but the stewards will have all of feeds and telemetry to decider whether they were level and whether the space was given as per the rules.

My view is that not giving a penalty will open up drivers to force drivers off the track on the outside of corners. LEC and verstappen raced the lap (maybe 2) previous when space was given and he wasn’t able on pass. Then no space was left with 2 collisions and he was able to pass. I think that shows the move was intentional, but the stewards have a lot more data. It maybe that the car was sliding..etc, so can’t say anything definite.

Back
Top Bottom