i am fat

Soldato
I'm 30 in October, iv never been fat.

I watched a program about fat people a few years back and it said that for some peoples its in there DNA/Genes and its absolutely nothing to do with the way they eat/exercise they will always be like that as its there genetics.

Well keep an eye out for it... my whole teens and twenties I was about 70kgs, 6'2" and literally ate whatever I felt like (though admittedly never huge amounts of anything; I stop when I'm full, I guess I have a small appetite!) Turned 32 this year and somewhere over the last maybe 3 - 4 years I've ended up at 90kgs... I don't think it's getting any worse at this point (as you say, it's likely genetics) but I expect the more time goes on the more I'll have to eat better to avoid it ever getting worse

Soldato
Isn't the keto diet beneficial to controlling blood glucose levels more than anything though? I'd planned to start it myself on Monday but mainly because my blood sugar is almost in the pre-diabetes stage. And as for saturated fats, you just need to eat the good ones. Not all fats are the same. I already started cooking with coconut oil and swapped margarine back to butter.

Yep, excellent for controlling blood sugars. Also can be used to treat epilepsy.

Been eating this way for roughly 9 months (odd cheats at birthdays/holidays) but not found it too bad.

The first couple of weeks can be rough though so be warned. Drink plenty of water, add a bunch of salt to your food and you should be fine.

Soldato
Intermittent fasting fasting, that's what does it for me.

Thankfully I don't need to loose weight as I go to the gym everyday but I want to get a six pack(not of beer) in the next few months.

Associate
I am 40. Always battled with my weight (reaching a peak of 16 stone @ 5'10). I don't eat that much though, so generally all I have to do is stop drinking alcohol and I lose weight! Alcohol has a shed load of (empty) calories. I am cutting down again... was drinking every night but if anything I'm enjoying alcohol less and less as I get older, so it's getting easier to cut down. I don't think I would want to do a particular diet though, I like and enjoy most food. I just try to ensure I stick below 2000 calories of food. Not as easy on a weekend, but I'm pretty disciplined through the week. I do a lot of walking and do weights 2x a week. Seems to work for me. Could still do with losing another 2 stone though but that should see me ideal.

Associate
If u have problems with ur weight read 2 books: Obesity Code by Jason Fung and Complete Guide to Fasting by Jason fung, if you follow what he reccomends it`s impossible to be overweight.
The misinformation going on these days is ridiculous, counting calories is pointless and proven to have a 99% rate of failure. Yet every diet expert coach and whatnot reccomends it just to make money.
Also if you dont care abour reading books justmeat.co is a wonderful resource aswell.

Soldato
If u have problems with ur weight read 2 books: Obesity Code by Jason Fung and Complete Guide to Fasting by Jason fung, if you follow what he reccomends it`s impossible to be overweight.
The misinformation going on these days is ridiculous, counting calories is pointless and proven to have a 99% rate of failure. Yet every diet expert coach and whatnot reccomends it just to make money.
Also if you dont care abour reading books justmeat.co is a wonderful resource aswell.

Do you have any gems of wisdom to contribute except telling people that their diet won't work? I've lost 9lbs so far by the way. Yes I also some what use intermittent fasting, but that's along side controlling my calories.

Soldato
The misinformation going on these days is ridiculous, counting calories is pointless and proven to have a 99% rate of failure.

Lol, what? So if you count calories, and eat under your TDEE you won't lose weight in 99% of cases? Science has been wrong all these years..

Yet every diet expert coach and whatnot reccomends it just to make money.

But isn't that just what Fung is doing with his fad diet, pushing it to make money?

Soldato
Read the book and stop making a fool of urself.

Not sure who you're talking to, but I've limited my calories and exercised and lost 3½ stone in 3½ months. I guess I'm just part of that 1%. Along with all these other guys in here that have done it too...

To be honest, to suggest limiting what you eat is not one way to lose weight is out right silly.

Soldato
Read the book and stop making a fool of urself.

I'm open to learning new information about nutrition, you've read these books, why not post some information about how they've worked for you and what the diet entails? I glanced over it on Amazon and it looks like it's to do with fasting?

On a side note, I don't recommend Herbalife, Weight Watchers and Slimming World, I think Keto works only because you're simultaneously in a calorie deficit; but if they work for you then great. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Don
Three years ago I calorie counted and lost 11Kgs in 3 months. Three years later, I havent put that weight back on again. No fasting involved, no keto, no atkins. Just monitoring what I ate and sticking to a calorie limit.

Seems like a good diet tbh. Seems like I'm part of the 1% too..

Soldato
Three years ago I calorie counted and lost 11Kgs in 3 months. Three years later, I havent put that weight back on again. No fasting involved, no keto, no atkins. Just monitoring what I ate and sticking to a calorie limit.

Seems like a good diet tbh. Seems like I'm part of the 1% too..

To be fair, if you read the studies and some of the evidence - the relapse to weight gain is more like 80-90%, that is if you look at people who go on diets, and monitor them over a longer period of time say 3 years+, in most cases (around 80-90%%) they regain all the weight they previously lost, in some cases a lot more.

Nobody actually knows why this is - there are outliers, some people manage to keep it off, the majority don't.

Whether it's a failure of willpower, a mis-understanding of human physiology, or something we don't understand that's occurring within the environment, the evidence is clear - diets don't work in the long run for the majority, some people can keep it off, but only a few - in the long run.

Here's an interesting read on the subject; https://www.apa.org/science/about/psa/2018/05/calorie-deprivation

Soldato
To be fair, if you read the studies and some of the evidence - the relapse to weight gain is more like 80-90%, that is if you look at people who go on diets, and monitor them over a longer period of time say 3 years+, in most cases (around 80-90%%) they regain all the weight they previously lost, in some cases a lot more.

Nobody actually knows why this is - there are outliers, some people manage to keep it off, the majority don't.

You're saying, they keep their calories below a limit for 3 years and the weight comes back?

When dieters regain weight, is it because they are too weak-willed to continue restricting their food intake, or is it because their body physiologically defends a genetically-based set weight? The answer is somewhere in between those explanations and is easily misunderstood: In brief, calorie deprivation leads to changes in hormones, metabolism, and cognitive/attentional functions that make it difficult to enact the behaviors needed to keep weight off.

I doubt my genetic-based set weight was as heavy as I went. I get the whole 'your metabolism changes', so keeping the weight off will still take work. More work than maintaining the heavy weight someone had before.

I've only read the first bit, will try and read more later. Surely this doesn't mean dieting doesn't work, just that it's hard work to maintain long term?

Soldato
On a side note, I don't recommend Herbalife, Weight Watchers and Slimming World, I think Keto works only because you're simultaneously in a calorie deficit; but if they work for you then great. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

That's exactly how Weight Watchers and Slimming World work...same as low carb, keto, intermittent fasting etc. They're all just methods of achieving a calorie deficit.

Soldato
^ yup

As my course leader Martin Macdonald says: "you don't have to count calories, but calories still count"

Dj01XEVXsAAnv-o.jpg

People succeed and fail with all types of diets; some people do well on Slimming World for instance because their existing preferences + the restrictions mean they end up in a deficit consistently, but some fail hard because they have a taste for the 'free' foods like pasta and end up overeating because they've been told it 'doesn't count'. The important thing is to know there's nothing magic about any of them, which is evident both in a clinical setting where controlled studies show no metabolic advantage to low carb over moderate carb, for example, or general observation around the world where there are many populations scoring highly on all health markers whose diet composition varies considerably.

What can be said is that in the developed world our (virtually unlimited) food environment and the abundance of hyper-caloric foods (high in sugars and fats) are not conducive for long-term weight maintenance.

Caporegime
Carbs Are Really Bad Sugars

People eat too many carbs which leads to diabetes. I'm ready to go on Thursday when my cupboards will be empty of bread, rice, pasta. Although I'll probably mess it all up by eating too many vegetables which are carbs themselves.

Soldato
I never really intended to meticulously record every single thing I eat with the calorie counting, I just wanted to get a very rough idea of where my consumption actually sits... e.g. am I getting through 100s of excess unneeded calories every day or am I running a slight defecit? Do I need to make a few small changes or something bigger type of thing. For me it's complicated by the fact that I don't think I can work it out from my weight, because I'm building muscle at the same time which will be cancelling out the weight of any fat lost I expect...

The fact that I'm not obviously looking any fatter (or thinner) around my stomach makes me think I'm probably close to being balanced in terms of calories in/out, so hopefully it won't take much to tip myself into a slight defecit (either by cutting out a few small bad things like maybe the kit kat I have with my lunch, or by just not increasing how much I eat as I put on a little more mass)... Target is to lose the gut by my holiday in September so fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom