Poll: Austrian Grand Prix 2019, Spielberg - Race 9/21

Rate the 2019 Austiran Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
Transmission breaker
Don
Correct decision. Verstappen had won the corner before the apex and went to take his normal line. LeClerc kept his foot in, turned into Max and then cried foul.
Spot on.
Leclerc conceded the corner the moment he did not cover off the inside line, Max is known for the late brake move up the inside and it was a daft mistake (one he will certainly learn from!) from Charles and it's just racing.

Any other outcome would have been silly. Vettel's error and subsequent rejoin squeeze of Hamilton was a load worse than this. You simple cannot compare the 2.

I like Ferrari and would love to see them do well. Charles in particular, but a penalty here would just ruin the magic of it all.

As for the various comments re: Ferrari getting short shrift from the FIA?! Really?

smr

smr

Soldato
Thankfully the correct decision. Let them race! Racing involves getting your elbows at sometimes.

And look forward to Leclerc winning his first F1 race in a proper fashion!

Associate
Post-Canada every little incident like this are going to be picked up on.
It was something of nothing; LeClerc tried to keep the power whilst on the outside like he did on previous lap. If you look at his line it was much more acute.

Soldato
If Leclerc kept the outside edge of the turn instead of running off the track and effectively ended both of their races, who would be at fault?

Leclerc and Verstappen were side by side, wheel to wheel remember.

Caporegime
Well, I think the stewards got that wrong, but it's a minor complaint. I don't see the Steward's decision as hugely unfair or particularly affecting the race result. Max would have had Leclerc before the end of the race anyway.

Overall, a huge improvement on France. Action throughout, different strategies, and events mixing things up all led to excitement. DRS dulled the action, as usual, but there was still decent overtaking at time. For me, a solid 8/10.

Permabanned
""Fernando Alonso believes his penalty at the Japanese Grand Prix shows how “bad Formula 1 is” in terms of random decisions and a lack of consistency.

The double World Champion locked horns with Lance Stroll on Sunday afternoon with the Williams driver forcing him off the track.

As a result Alonso cut the chicane before rejoining the track and was penalised for doing that.

The stewards noted: “Although car 14 was forced off the track, car 14 thereafter cut the chicane and rejoined the track thereby gaining a significant advantage.”

He feels the time penalty was unfair.

“It just shows how bad Formula One is,” said Alonso. “In the decisions, in the randomness, in the pure consistency.

“You are braking on the outside at the last corner, and one guy didn’t see you and came here to apologise after you go on the gravel and you get the penalty.

“It’s a shame.”

The Spaniard was quick to point out that his frustrations were not with Stroll as the Williams driver did not see trying to pass him down the inside into the first part of the chicane.

“He didn’t see me,” he said.

“If he saw me and said ‘I’m going to put you in the grass’ it’s another thing but the stewards are an unfortunate situation in a race situation.

“It doesn’t change much because instead of 14th maybe you finish 12th but you know, it’s the way it is.”""

Stroll was also penalised for forcing Alonso off the track with both drivers handed penalty points.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/alonso-says-penalty-shows-how-bad-f1-is/

Soldato
It might have been worth for his career in the future, to have kept his line. Send a message that you can't deliberately bang me off the track when we are side by side.

I'd rather see real side by side racing like the lap before.

Man of Honour
8/10 for me. Not 10/10 because overtakes were DRS dependent and the incident at the end didn’t need investigating, and certainly not after the trophies.

The only 1/10 made me laugh, it doesn’t get much more childish than that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Haha, yeah it was a terrible race for Gasly, being lapped by his team mate as well. Great drive by Verstappen though, despite his dreadful start.

Yeah, other than the car maybe not being setup to his driving style i can't see what his problem could be? Unless he just doesn't have the talent to match Max or at least keep him honest. I think they should put Kyvat back in there although they won't because of the history RB created between them.

Associate
Yeah, other than the car maybe not being setup to his driving style i can't see what his problem could be? Unless he just doesn't have the talent to match Max or at least keep him honest. I think they should put Kyvat back in there although they won't because of the history RB created between them.
*edit*
Not quite sure how many drivers lapped Gasly, so amended my very basic calculation. Still a massive difference in average lap times.

I've no idea about the reason behind the difference in pace between Verstappen and Gasly, but doing some back of the envelope maths:
Gasly was +1 lap behind = at least approx 70 secs behind Verstappen
For a 71 lap race, that equates to approx 1 sec (probably more) per lap difference in lap time between the two Red Bull drivers!
Same number of pit stops too.

Last edited:
Soldato
I honestly can't even fathom why Gasly could possibly be so far off Verstappen's pace. Normally if it's this consistent it's not unusual for the team to build an entirely new chassis for the driver to make sure there's not some structural problems with the car itself. To be 1s+ per lap off a team mate is almost unheard of since the 90s, and certainly not in a top-tier team. In fact this last time I can really think of it happening is Michael Andretti at McLaren in 1993. Even with Schumacher at his peak, Irvine and Barrichello were never *that* far back.

Soldato
I've no idea about the reason behind the difference in pace between Verstappen and Gasly, but doing some back of the envelope maths:
Gasly was +1 lap behind and also lapped by Hamilton = at least 90 secs behind Verstappen
For a 71 lap race, that equates to at least 1.26 secs per lap difference in lap time between the two Red Bull drivers!
Same number of pit stops too.

That figure really brings it home. That’s huge!

Associate
That figure really brings it home. That’s huge!
Sorry, I edited my post, because I jumped the gun and realised I've no idea how many drivers actually passed Gasly. I saw Verstappen and Leclerc definitely lap Gasly, but not certain about how many others. Still a massive average lap time difference though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Great race.

The stewards wouldn't have dared flip that result in such a close call. I bet the would have if it had been 5 and 6th.but probably would have missed it for not being at the front lol

Gasly has to Go. Its plain embarrassing

Mclaren had both drivers put in a great race

Verstappen made that race but found it funny how the driver of the day was kubica Great trolling! :D

Renault were dire and haas even worse. Don't know why Williams even turn up

Permabanned
To be fair as they has been comparing LeClerc to Schumacher most of the weekend, and we know Schumacher would happily hit someone to prevent them winning, even if it meant he didn't finish, then LeClerc causing max and himself to dnf would probably have been the proper finish to the race lol :)

How can they (who are they, actually?!) compare Michael with Charles? Charles is playing the second whistle in the team, just like Irvine, Barichello and Massa were to Michael.
Today, Vettel is to Michael what Charles is to Massa.

It's frustrating how much pace Ferrari lost in the race, see:

Race:
1:07.475 Hard - max
1:07.676 Soft +0.201 - Sebastian

Quali:
1:03.003 Soft - Charles
1:03.439 Soft +0.436 - max

:eek:

Ferrari must do something with the race pace, otherwise they won't get a single victory this season.
Must work with the hards during the practices.

Back
Top Bottom