What happened to manual transmissions?

Man of Honour
Well that's a little silly, if he drives an auto does he go for a clutch?

I personally hate electronic handbrakes, nothing more reassuring than a physical click.

My dad's vehicles are manual gear but automatic parking brake, mine is the opposite automatic gears but still has a handbrake.

Associate
Modern automatics have come a long way through research, development and improvements in technology to become just as reliable as manuals if not more so. They are barely any more expensive to buy, and offer the potential for better fuel economy/refinement - especially for motorway driving due to additional ratios (anyone rocking an 8/9 speed manual?)

My Octavia VRS is a DSG and it's great, I'd even go as far as saying I enjoy it. It's great during daily commuting in traffic, but it's also great when "on it" because of the way it shifts so quickly that there is almost no break in acceleration. People will argue it's less involving, but it's hardly the most engaging to start with and the benefits outweigh the slight loss of involvement.

Fun weekend sports car that you'd actually drive for the sake of enjoyment = manual all day long.

Daily driver for commuting and family transport = auto all day long.

Soldato
They got cheaper because they are made in much higher volumes now. But DSGs etc are still mega expensive if they go wrong and it's more likely on an older one.

Man of Honour
They got cheaper because they are made in much higher volumes now. But DSGs etc are still mega expensive if they go wrong and it's more likely on an older one.

They really aren't. Make sure the DSG service is done on time and mechatronics failures are rare.

Clutches routinely last 250k miles and dual mass flywheels 80-100k miles which is no different to a manual

Soldato
I never thought I'd say this but I wouldn't want manual in my 335d. Even though it's an older auto system the stress it's taken out of driving a lot is great the box also really suits the engine.

I have an old MR2 for my manual back road fun.

Soldato
I have noticed this too - looks like the new WLTP regulations killed a lot of the last ones (like the BMW M140i, Audi S3 and Golf R to name a few). Unfortunately the take rate is so low I guess it does not make sense to spend money developing and homologating the manual versions of these cars (or future cars)!

I am sure that I read somewhere that the take rate for manual gearboxes in the Jaguar F-Type was 3% - not sure if that is true but it's a telling figure.

I myself still prefer manual cars. I have driven a lot of automatics (including torque converters, dual clutch, single clutch and CVTs) but have not particularly liked a single one.

I love the manual in my Lexus IS250 and in my wife's Audi A5 (thankfully she also prefers manuals!).

Soldato
If I had a hot hatch or sports car I would still want a manual, just for that additional involvement and enjoyment. But for day-to-day driving, you can't beat an auto. Most gearboxes are reliable enough nowadays if you follow their service schedules.

I do think it's a shame that lots of people who are now learning to drive are opting for an auto-only test because they just can't "get the hang of a manual", though. It's just laziness and it will affect what cars they can borrow/buy/drive on a whim if need be.

Soldato
The instant gratification generation dont want to work at anything :/

Yes a manual takes time to learn. But its more versitile and you're going to need a manual licence to be able to drive anthing intesting.

Last edited:
Soldato
The instant gratification generation dont want to work at anything :/

Elitist twaddle. The manual gearbox was required to overcome the inherent flaws in the internal combustion engine. Now that we have a fantastic way of overcoming that shortcoming without additional input from the driver why should we stick with a manual for every day driving?

you're going to need a manual licence to be able to drive anthing intesting.

Massive generalisation alert. Try driving something like the Firebird in my signature. It has a 3-speed auto. It is anything but interesting.

Look at all the sports and super cars that are only available with some form of auto. Are none of them interesting?

Last edited:
Soldato
Elitist twaddle. The manual gearbox was required to overcome the inherent flaws in the internal combustion engine. Now that we have a fantastic way of overcoming that shortcoming without additional input from the driver why should we stick with a manual for every day driving?

Massive generalisation alert. Try driving something like the Firebird in my signature. It has a 3-speed auto. It is anything but interesting.

Look at all the sports and super cars that are only available with some form of auto. Are none of them interesting?

Not as interesting as the classic ones.

Soldato

I'd hate to drive a Chiron, Koenigsegg, 918.... GTR, M5, any AMG, etc. etc.

As part of the instant gratification generation, my DSG daily driver is absolutely excellent. And modern manuals with their stupid featherweight clutch pedals (ones I've tried anyway, likely be an example somewhere that isn't) is about as exciting as electric power steering. Numb.

Soldato

Because a manual is still cheaper and more reliable.
Both autos for my car incure an extra service every second service and it's not cheap either. If it was £50 fine but it's £200+.
The car itself costs more. The autos also have a higher failure rate. I haven't heard of a single manual box failure on my car. But the forums are full of drivetrain service required errors that put the car into limp mode.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Just the way things are moving, automation and /performance/ numbers as well as removing one more interaction with the driver. In the future people will be very lazy about driving, the standards are already low as it is. I suppose it won't matter as self driving cars will be more commonplace then.

No greater feeling than working through the gears manually on a spirited drive around some back roads :cool:

Back
Top Bottom