Two weeks off in September - where would you go?

Soldato
My girlfriend and I have both booked off the last two weeks in September. We were initially planning on a road trip down the coast of California, but are now starting to think that that's out of budget this year. So, we have two weeks off and no plan - what would you do?

My "ideal" criteria are:
- Long haul - I've not left Europe for a couple of years, have done a lot of Europe, and want to go elsewhere
- Hot - again, I've not had a hot holiday for a while
- Not spending two weeks sat in a resort/on a beach/partying - I want to travel, explore, maybe hike a bit, and also have a beach to plop down on for a day or two.

Any ideas? I realise it's a tough combination! At present I'm thinking Argentina, but I'm not sure it fulfils the hot criteria at that time of year. Thanks!

Soldato
My girlfriend and I have both booked off the last two weeks in September. We were initially planning on a road trip down the coast of California, but are now starting to think that that's out of budget this year.
Was going to suggest this as it was mymmost recent holiday but fair enough!

Whats the budget? 18 days in cali was about £5k for me & mrs roughly

Could do a good few European city's?

Soldato
OP
Was going to suggest this as it was mymmost recent holiday but fair enough!

Whats the budget? 18 days in cali was about £5k for me & mrs roughly

Could do a good few European city's?

Yeah, probably looking at around 2k each (or something I can sell to her as not likely to cost more than that...).

I'm really keen not to do Europe, I've been to various parts five or six times in the last year - love it and there's loads to do, but I want to go farther afield

Edit: Vietnam's a good shout

Man of Honour
Argentina is my favourite country but the sites and cities are sooooo far apart. They are like... 18 hour buses or 2-4 hour flights. Be prepared for a LOT of travelling, even if doing it with flights. It’s like the complete opposite of Italy where everything is a short train away. 2 weeks is possible but you will have to skip bits. Definitely skip Uruguay on that timeframe.

Best bits of Argentina (that I visited):

El Calefate - walk on a glacier

Bariloche - go skiing and trek up a mountain. Also hire a car and see the lakes. I was with 4 strangers and all said was equivalent to the very best of New Zealand, so cant be bad!

Iguazu falls - if you haven’t heard of it, google - it’s insane.

Puerto Madryn - with any luck you’ll be able to see a zillion whales. I distinctly remember being the only person on an 18 hour bus and thinking ‘oh man what if I don’t see any whales...’, got off the bus and there were about 10 whale tails sticking out of the water visible from the bus stop. Epic win. Also elephant seals and penguins.

Buenos Aires - best city to live in (equal with Berlin) that I’ve visited but you can see the ‘sights’ very, very, very quickly. This is more of a European city great for bars and restaurants more so than anything else IMO so definitely don’t dawdle here with your timescales.

Regretfully I didn’t go to Mendoza - which is where you can go in some lovely wine tours. Sounds a great couple experience :)

Hope some of that is helpful.

Soldato
Thailand, specifically, fly into Bangkok, spend a few nights there, (Go on a tour of Kanchanaburi (bridge over the river quai), and check out Ayutthaya) then get the overnight train to Chiang Mai, spend a few nights there, then if you have time, fly to Cambodia and check out Siem Reap and Angkor Wat or Vietnam, both short flights and i think dirt cheap from Thailand. Don't book your accommodation ahead of time, wing it like a backpacker ;)

Man of Honour
For what it’s worth, I thought Vietnam was ‘OK’ and, looking back, a little ‘overrated’. That’s probably a lot to do with the fact that I travelled by myself and, whilst I would arrogantly say that I can get on with everyone more than 99% of the population, I thought that most people in the hostels were asshats / dubious. I didn’t make many good friends. Also, it was absolutely mega touristy in places like Sapa. Just, eh, not great. Think that ~2010 and before was the time to go. I went in 2013 I my impressions were nothing like that of my well trusted travel companions. In fact, I’m probably giving it a hard time for that reason. I did have fun :)

I gather of those countries, from those who I know who have been, that Thailand is the ‘all rounder’ best. Sadly, I didn’t go *sob*

Vietnam is definitely doable in 2 weeks though. In which case definitely make a trip out to Ha Long Bay. That is very special indeed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cuba. We did a 2 week tour with Intrepid in Feb a couple of years ago, and it was epic. Get there before there's a Starbucks on every corner. Make sure you travel all the way round, it's like another world :)

Soldato
...Edit: Vietnam's a good shout
Well I found it less touristy than Thailand which you might expect. Also our money went much further. You can get some really top accommodation for very little money and eating some grand meals cost pittance compared to many places. I also found the Vietnamese people genuinely quite friendly though that might have a little do with the fact that Trump decided to go the same time as me. ;)

Associate
Bali is worth going to, the missus and I had a month there last November and it was fantastic.

If you want any help with regards to planning, travelling around the island or things to see drop me a trust message.

Associate
Busan in South Korea is my favourite place in the whole world, normally about 22-26c in September so it's warm but not overly hot... how hot do you want your destination to be?
I'd say it'll fit the rest of your criteria quite nicely, long haul flight with pretty much every activity imaginable within easy reach.

Associate
Vietnam but start off with a couple of days in Hong Kong. Don't spend too much time in Hanoi or Saigon. Some of the highlights of our recent holiday there was canoeing around Halong Bay and moped riding around Tam Coc. Sapa is also worth a visit.

Back
Top Bottom