PRINCE2 certification: anyone done it?

Soldato
What sort of pay do you Prince2 guys get?

Unfortunately as with many things pay is based on your experience not a certification

Coupled with industry expertise.

Prince2 is great an all, but remember it's metholodgy, it doesn't teach/train/hone skills or tools, it's purely methology. That was my take away from the course/exam anyway.

Caporegime
I can honestly say having PRINCE2 certification made sod all difference to my pay or my job. Its one of those certifications that is more highly valued by employers and managers than people doing the actual work.

A while back I was applying for new positions and was really surprised by how many requested Practitioner. Anyways - put myself through it and I found it to equally be an utter waste of time. I can see how it may be useful for someone with no true PM experience or likewise to have a standard methodology across a large programme or project otherwise it was just buzzword city.

Caporegime
What sort of pay do you Prince2 guys get?

I'm not sure that makes much sense - pay is dependent more on the role someone is doing, their qualifications and experience and the industry + location they work in.

Prince2 involves taking a short course - you can pass the exams in a week... I think you're barking up the wrong tree if you're hoping it is something that can define you professionally or give your earning potential a significant boost rather than simply being something that is useful for project managers (and indeed others undertaking projects) to know.

As for what project managers can earn in a salaried role, IME, they tended to be on 80k+ at the junior end and that could extend to more like 150k+ for more experienced ones (this was at a vendor selling enterprise software to financial institutions). As contractors the standard contract rates apply at the lower end... 500-600ish (as per devs and BAs)... this can get quite high for experienced ones, especially when they get into "programme management", that's where you can get some experienced people earning £2000 a day etc...

Last edited:
Soldato
I can honestly say having PRINCE2 certification made sod all difference to my pay or my job. Its one of those certifications that is more highly valued by employers and managers than people doing the actual work.

That's how a feel about ITIL.

So many people have PRINCE2 now, another sector were the market will be oversaturated with too many project managers.

Soldato
I'm not sure that makes much sense - pay is dependent more on the role someone is doing, their qualifications and experience and the industry + location they work in.

Prince2 involves taking a short course - you can pass the exams in a week... I think you're barking up the wrong tree if you're hoping it is something that can define you professionally or give your earning potential a significant boost rather than simply being something that is useful for project managers (and indeed others undertaking projects) to know.

As for what project managers can earn in a salaried role, IME, they tended to be on 80k+ at the junior end and that could extend to more like 150k+ for more experienced ones (this was at a vendor selling enterprise software to financial institutions). As contractors the standard contract rates apply at the lower end... 500-600ish (as per devs and BAs)... this can get quite high for experienced ones, especially when they get into "programme management", that's where you can get some experienced people earning £2000 a day etc...

There are very wide definitions of project managers. £80k+ is going to be for people managing large scale jobs. I know PMs who are on £30k, and don't manage full sites etc.

Caporegime
There are very wide definitions of project managers. £80k+ is going to be for people managing large scale jobs. I know PMs who are on £30k, and don't manage full sites etc.

Nope this was as per the post, more on the junior end, smaller enhancements etc... Grad trainees started on 30-35 (this was several years ago) no one fresh out of uni went directly to a PM role - they could work as a consultant and then transition into a PM role a few years down the line. After a few years as a consultant they'd be earning 60k+ anyway.

Soldato
I have both PRINCE 2 Practitioner and APM PMQ and would recommend the APM qualification/learning over PRINCE 2.

PRINCE is a PM framework, whereas APM teaches PM principles including frameworks like the former.

Back
Top Bottom