Do fast cars provide long term satisfaction?

Caporegime
And visibility out the cockpit.

The F-Type was slightly narrower than the 458, but the 458 feels a much smaller car and is far easier to judge and place on the road as the visibility is amazing due to mid-engine.
Plus of course its a light car for its size and power.

Normally the case with tall engines. I guess the F-Type has the supercharger on the top and is quite tall so the bonnet has to be higher/bulged.Never a problem with mid engine ofc

Associate
Lunacy on 4 wheels is a pretty good way to describe a 200sx, especially a powerful one.
They dont so much accelerate but sort of teleport you to the other end of the road, then sometimes it would kick you in the softbits just to remind you it was light(ish), very RWD and had a lot of power.

Its something you really dont see in cars these days, properly alarming and you had to be right on your driving game if you didnt want to become another one of the SXOC's winter casualty list.

OcUK Staff
Lunacy on 4 wheels is a pretty good way to describe a 200sx, especially a powerful one.
They dont so much accelerate but sort of teleport you to the other end of the road, then sometimes it would kick you in the softbits just to remind you it was light(ish), very RWD and had a lot of power.

Its something you really dont see in cars these days, properly alarming and you had to be right on your driving game if you didnt want to become another one of the SXOC's winter casualty list.

The same can be said though for Mustang, stock its a RWD, 450HP manual sports coupe, good old fun, throw a supercharger or turbo at it and you've got that big 800HP lairy RWD car, though most don't need 800HP to throw them at the scenery in Summer let alone Winter. :D

Soldato

I see one of these daily at the moment, on a wet day, it drives past noticeably slower :D

Soldato
Went from an ND MX5 (it was only 160hp I think) to an i30n, and even at 270hp I think that’s more than enough for daily road use. For me anyway :) I don’t feel the need for anything more powerful at the moment.

Associate
Lots of mention of the S2000 here :)

I bought my second one after a few years absence owning other (largely more powerful cars)... and I've ruined it with a big turbo

Caporegime
Went from an ND MX5 (it was only 160hp I think) to an i30n, and even at 270hp I think that’s more than enough for daily road use. For me anyway :) I don’t feel the need for anything more powerful at the moment.

I dont feel the need for more than 300HP but I'm still going to chase numbers when I have some spare cash :p

Soldato
I think the long term satisfaction comes from driving the right fast car rather than just the fact that it's a fast car. That criteria is going to be different for each person and might even change over time.

Associate
I'm in a Integra Type R (DC5) for laughs. It isn't fast by modern standards BUT it feels very fast at NSL on A and B roads - its a combination of being fairly light, not much sound deadening, a nice responsive revvy engine and me driving the family SUV most of the time. OK - its FWD, 4 cylinders and the "wrong" side of 300bhp but it ticks all of the boxes for me for something with little to no depreciation, easy to maintain in my garage and cheap to insure. I just find it really good fun to own for loads of reasons and I look forward to partnering it up with something cheap, RWD, NA with little to no depreciation at a later date. Appreciate they're not everyone's cup of tea.

Caporegime
I'm in a Integra Type R (DC5) for laughs. It isn't fast by modern standards BUT it feels very fast at NSL on A and B roads - its a combination of being fairly light, not much sound deadening, a nice responsive revvy engine and me driving the family SUV most of the time. OK - its FWD, 4 cylinders and the "wrong" side of 300bhp but it ticks all of the boxes for me for something with little to no depreciation, easy to maintain in my garage and cheap to insure. I just find it really good fun to own for loads of reasons and I look forward to partnering it up with something cheap, RWD, NA with little to no depreciation at a later date. Appreciate they're not everyone's cup of tea.

Light revvy N/A japscrap is great fun, I quite often miss my Corolla's etc despite having a much faster car now. The screaming 4-pot noise was quite intoxicating.

Private road of course. Knocked the indicator by accident... -ahem-

Associate
Light revvy N/A japscrap is great fun, I quite often miss my Corolla's etc despite having a much faster car now. The screaming 4-pot noise was quite intoxicating.

VVTi powwaaaarrrr! :)

I loved my little Yaris T-Sport, you could drive it hard just about everywhere and never be in danger of losing your license. Many years later, bit different in an Audi S4 that feels like you're doing 30mph when you’re going a lot, lot faster.

Caporegime
VVTi powwaaaarrrr! :)

I loved my little Yaris T-Sport, you could drive it hard just about everywhere and never be in danger of losing your license. Many years later, bit different in an Audi S4 that feels like you're doing 30mph when you’re going a lot, lot faster.

VVTL-i! The L is the important one in the Corolla cos it means it has variable valve lift which the Yaris (and other Toyota engines) don't have. Its similar to VTEC! :)

One thing I must concede about the Volvo is that even though its hugely fast (to me) it isn't as much fun as an MX5 etc, because you can do 100+ and feel like you're going 60, whereas in an MX5 if you're going 60, you know about it.

Soldato

That was painful to watch :p There's nothing intoxicating about a screaming 4 pot car engine :p

p.s. my V8 revs to 7500rpm :D

Caporegime
That was painful to watch :p There's nothing intoxicating about a screaming 4 pot car engine :p

p.s. my V8 revs to 7500rpm :D

Pfft, in your opinion maybe. And that revs to 8250RPM. :p

One of the highest HP/cc N/A engines ever put in a production car. Along with the B16B and the F20C. I think the B16B takes the top spot.

Back
Top Bottom