Spec me beany salad/stew things to replace carbs

Soldato
This is probably a useful question now that we're hitting summer and everyone wants some lighter meals..

The girlfriend and I eat a lot of pasta and rice during the week and are trying to cut it down. We work late, eat late and go to bed bloated. We've got a couple of nice recipes that avoid carbs. One is a bit of sea bass pan fried, on top of a sort-of lentil stew (sautee onion, garlic, celery, carrot, bit of vermouth and stock and reduce). Super easy, and can be done with sausages or other fish quite easily. Another is this; Sea Bass With Crushed Chickpeas and Carrots which is a lovely recipe. We simplified it by using curry paste, rounds of normal carrots (always have them in). Lush.

So I was just after some ideas along those lines. Maybe some sort of bean salad or stew that goes well with a bit of grilled meat on top? Something with some other sort of beans perhaps? Any ideas or recipes out there? :)

Associate
A tasty and healthy one I do for me and the gf is on the good food website. “One pan spicy rice”; basically curry paste (I use madras which they also recommend) with some garlic pour in rice, chickpeas and veg stock and simmer for 13 mins. Then add fresh or frozen spinach until cooked. That’s it.
Bugger, just read the op. It’s rice but I use whole grain so it’s not refined :/

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1642/one-pan-spicy-rice

Soldato
What is the aim of cutting carbs, to feel better when you go to bed because i would imagine eating more legumes will still make you feel a bit bloated.

Given you are still on lentils and beans, i assume complex carbs are okay and rather than replacing, you are reducing carbs.

Me and the missus replace a lot of our evening foods which are heavily starchy with a variety of veg. The aim for me was to reduce carbs but obviously stuff like courgette, asparagus, leeks and such are fairly easy to digest and wont cause you to go to be bloated.

Last edited:
Soldato
I usually do a load of roasted veg, peppers, butternut squash, carrots, parsnips, courgette, red onions etc drizzled in olive oil with some herbs chucked in for an hour or so served with some chicken or fish goes down well. can pre boil some of the veg if you so wish to reduce the roasting time.

Back
Top Bottom