Cost for trimming down a load of monster Leylandii trees

Soldato
How much would it roughly cost to trim these monstrosities? I'm talking to about the neighbours fence height. They have no interest in gardening so have let them get out of control, blocking sunlight getting in my rear garden.

ffnaBjD.jpg.png
lE5FvpJ.jpg.png

Associate
Burn it with fire.

Sorry can't help more but I also have a leylandii which is starting to get out of control so subbing to this thread.

Last work I had done was taking out half a dozen big trees, that was a couple of grand and took 3 tree surgeons 2-3 days to do.

May have some issues taking them down if birds are nesting.

Associate
It doesn't require any special skill taking those down. If you can't do it yourself, maybe find some labourer types who you can pay a day rate to. They'll have them all down in a day easy. Getting the stumps out would be a different matter but it doesn't sound like you need that doing.

Soldato
OP
Have you asked permission to cut them down?

Got to cost at least £250 maybe more if you want them disposed off too.

I have yes and the neighbour is fine with it.

It doesn't require any special skill taking those down. If you can't do it yourself, maybe find some labourer types who you can pay a day rate to. They'll have them all down in a day easy. Getting the stumps out would be a different matter but it doesn't sound like you need that doing.

They're absolutely huge though, nearly 3 storeys high.

Soldato
Your neighbour not chipping in with the cost to remove them?

I feel your pain, my neighbour also has an extremely unruly garden and never cuts anything back, so we have to keep an eye on some stuff otherwise it gets out of hand, luckily he doesn't mind as well, but its annoying when you have neighbours like this who don't care for a garden.

Associate
They're absolutely huge though, nearly 3 storeys high.

I tackled some at the front of my house that looked pretty much identical to those. Very tall too. They're made up of lots of little branches and are fairly light. You just cut one branch at a time and pull and it will come out. They're not like a massive trunk that weighs a tonne.

Soldato
I tackled some at the front of my house that looked pretty much identical to those. Very tall too. They're made up of lots of little branches and are fairly light. You just cut one branch at a time and pull and it will come out. They're not like a massive trunk that weighs a tonne.

This get a good bowsaw or small Chan saw and goto town on the lower reaches (just remember branches stretch upwards) one branch at a time, it will get easier as the branches open up.

Soldato
just wondering are these your trees? if not why are you paying for this work. your neighbour should be paying

looks very high

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Totally agree with the above, the leafy dark green make it look far worse then it maybe is.

A wired reciprocating saw could mow through a lot of that if not the whole lot.

Once you do a few sections at a time it would either lighten the load or reduce the work or cost for laborers too.

Soldato
just wondering are these your trees? if not why are you paying for this work. your neighbour should be paying

looks very high

From what i'm gathering from the OP's post is that the neighbours aren't bothered about the height of them, it's only that they're blocking sunlight into the OP's garden. So more a case of if OP wants more sunlight then he's gotta pay to have those trees chopped down.

As others have said, if you're good with heights then rent a small chainsaw and a good set of ladders. If they're three stories high then that's going to be a lot of waste to dispose of though.

Soldato
How much would it roughly cost to trim these monstrosities? I'm talking to about the neighbours fence height. They have no interest in gardening so have let them get out of control, blocking sunlight getting in my rear garden.

From what I can work out that's roughly 7 trees.

The last tree work we had done was something along the lines of

12 Trees @ 22ft removed to ground level £550
14 Trees @22ft reduced by 6ft £380
Stump grinding £380
Timber Processing £150

Then add vat on top, all in for us was £1.7k

This was carried out by a Tree Surgery company.

In your case you are looking at getting 7 trees reduced by 6ft-8ft and get the timber processed, and you could very likely find a general gardener to do it. I would say you are looking at between £350-£500 max.

You could do it yourself, but be prepared for a lot of runs to the tip, before the last bit of work, we had reduced all the trees ourselves by at least 6ft. It took 15 trips to the local tip to get rid of all the cut off.

Back
Top Bottom