What happened to manual transmissions?

I won't even consider owning anything with auto box, no matter how good they are compared to the crappy old slush boxes. I can see the benefit if you are crawling through traffic everyday, but on a decent b road blast that is my daily commute changing gear is an enjoyable part of driving.

You have the same commute as me, I was the same, when I bought my last car didnt even consider the auto. As I posted above, when my car went in to the garage they lent me the exact same model but with the DSG. I was oh boo until I tried it, as i said it felt hard work after getting my manual back. Next time its auto for sure for me, cars I am looking at only come in auto anyway, but should I change my target car its still going to be auto.

Soldato
Because a manual is still cheaper and more reliable.
Both autos for my car incure an extra service every second service and it's not cheap either. If it was £50 fine but it's £200+.
The car itself costs more. The autos also have a higher failure rate. I haven't heard of a single manual box failure on my car. But the forums are full of drivetrain service required errors that put the car into limp mode.

I assume those are DCTs rather than torque converters? There are generally minimal reliability/service concerns with the latter, so tarring them all with the DCT brush is rather unfair.

Ps. how VW got so many people on this forum to use their proprietary term 'DSG' in lieu of the generic 'DCT' is amusing.

Soldato
I assume those are DCTs rather than torque converters? There are generally minimal reliability/service concerns with the latter, so tarring them all with the DCT brush is rather unfair.

Ps. how VW got so many people on this forum to use their proprietary term 'DSG' in lieu of the generic 'DCT' is amusing.
Both they do an Auto and the Powershift.

Caporegime
I didn’t explain very well sorry. I meant when the car is rolling and you want to go, (maybe 50/75% throttle) it sometimes has a bit of engine lag combined with the kick down means it’s nothing then all of a sudden the boost comes in and you fly down the road.

Seems to be caused by the box trying to decide if it should pull away in 2nd or 1st, this is dependent on your throttle input and it seems to have a split second panic, both our 9 speeds are the same, i usually pull the paddle to force the car to pull away in 1st if i know i need to get out of a junction quickly.

The above is my only complaint, otherwise the ZF 9 speed is excellent.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
OP
She won't have a bmw or automatic? Basically ruling out the best drivetrain combos available to the average buyer. Sounds sensible.
So the X2 M35i is apparently a thing. I think my dad is going to ignore my mum and just buy what he wants...

Back
Top Bottom