New Phone Recommendations

Soldato
Hi,

Currently using a 128Gb iPhone 6S Plus, the battery is starting to show its age now, but still will last a day with light use, however from what I understand it goes out of support with Apple next year meaning some apps will cease to function, mostly work based ones.

So looking at upgrade options, currently with Three on sim only and get 12gb data a month, never had any issues with Three, but do like their roaming options be able to use my minutes while abroard.

I mostly use my phone for Facebook/Messenger, phone calls the odd bit of gaming and Netflix/Prime/Plex also use it as my camera when out and about and always been happy with the results of the photos.

So looking for options use to use android a long time but I use Microsoft for email, onedrive etc and my iPhone uploads all my photos to my OneDrive, being that I am entrenched in the MS ecosystem for email and storage would Android be a good route to look? Or should I just get the current iPhone?

Can go back to a full contract or can stay sim free.

What options would people suggest?

Kimbie

Soldato
MS has a lot more Android apps and they even offer more features over their iOS counterparts, main point being you can set their apps as default unlike iOS. Onedrive on Android will do the same and automatically back up your photos. Email will be fine, the Gmail app has exchange support but there are also plenty of other 3rd party email apps that works just as fine, there's even Outlook for Android. There's plenty of other MS apps as well if you're that deep into the MS ecosystem (Microsoft Launcher, Edge, Cortana, etc)

As above, it depends on the budget. If you want a phone with a good camera, the Pixel 3a is worth looking at.

Soldato
Apps won’t “cease to function” if you disable automatic Apps Store updates as you’ll keep the last versions that were compatible with your iOS version. Additionally, Apps only become unstable/broken when there’s a major change to how the framework or API they use in iOS works.

However, if you need version Y of an app for work and the latest version your iOS supports is Y-1, you’re out of luck.

Unless you must have the latest iPhone X, there’s some good deals to be had on the 8, with Apple offering significant trade ins if your old phone is in good condition and working.

Soldato
OP
Budget wise not massively fussed about as I tend to keep phones for a while.

I am wary of buying Google hardware just from their previous track record of supporting then dropping hardware at a whim, if I went android would prefer stock as possible, I have looked at the One Pro 7 and the P30 but not sure on the P30 with the whole US thing going on

Was not aware MS had released their apps on Android, will look at that, setting defaults would be nice, as prefer Chrome on the iphone and having to copy links into that from safari is a pain.

Will look into the Apple trade in, is that via their own store?

What other Android phones are worth looking at?

Soldato
The Galaxy Note 10 is coming out on 7 August. If you're looking for a long-term phone, I'd wait to see what that brings. It's meant to come in two different sizes - big or bigger and also a rumoured 5G option in case you keep the phone and go down that route in a year or two.

Otherwise, the 512GB version of the Note 9 is floating around at some pretty good prices. £599 iirc.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the adivce, ended up going with the P30 Pro as got a better deal on it than the S10+

Now to work out how to transfer call logs, sms over, as the built in Phone Clone software has moved my pictures and movies but does not seem to detect SMS or Call logs

Soldato
OP
Don't think I'd be brave(?) enough to buy a Huawei at the minute.

Why not? The trade ban has been reversed so I do not see an issue, as I mostly use Microsoft services if I could not use gmail etc would not be a massive issue and could side load apk's if did get cut off from the app store.

I also don't think it will happen as Huawei could roll out their OS and store and cut out Google, 48 million devices is a lot of market to lose

Soldato
I also don't think it will happen as Huawei could roll out their OS and store and cut out Google, 48 million devices is a lot of market to lose

A store is only as useful as the products on its shelf. Huawei's app shop will take years to fill up with anything like the sort of array available in the IOS or Android stores, assuming it ever comes close.

Back
Top Bottom