• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
Manual overclocking is almost dead when PBO/Boost/Whatever eeks out most of what you will get anyway without pushing crazy volts. Choice is basically do you go for highest all core clock or highest boost.
That’s exactly what I was thinking. If that’s the case, then it really doesn’t matter what their manual overclocking ability is like as you’re better off just letting the cpu do its thing anyway.

Associate
I don't think anyone here expects them not to since we are the ones who benefit from competition. I just don't think it will go down very well for them to hype PBO so much if the CPUs don't have any OC potential, because its their reputation on the line. Considering its all eyes on Zen 2 at the moment, it can hurt their sales.
I don't see them having any additional overclocking potential beyond PBO, perhaps 50mhz. AMD seem to be selling GPUs and CPUs at 95% of their maximum performance straight out of the box these days. If it took LN2 and 1.77V to get a 3950 to 5.2Ghz then 4.6-4.7Ghz is the most were likely to see. I want to be wrong but I've been disappointed by AMD launches too many times to believe otherwise.

Soldato
I don't see them having any additional overclocking potential beyond PBO, perhaps 50mhz. AMD seem to be selling GPUs and CPUs at 95% of their maximum performance straight out of the box these days. If it took LN2 and 1.77V to get a 3950 to 5.2Ghz then 4.6-4.7Ghz is the most were likely to see. I want to be wrong but I've been disappointed by AMD launches too many times to believe otherwise.
Agreed apart from the Gpu's , the vega and Radeon 7 I overclocked substantially, the 7 from 1800 to 2200 core and 1000 to 1280 on the ram, thats a lot of percent, it was similar on the vega but not quite as massive.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Manual overclocking is a waste of time. You drop your shiny new Ryzen into its socket and let the advanced algorithms do the work for you more efficiently.
Where is Fun in that ??

Btw new bioses
Version 5007
2019/07/01 10.16 MBytes
PRIME B350-PLUS BIOS 5007
Update new AGESA to improve compatibility;
Recommend updating the BIOS via EZ Flash.

https://www.asus.com/ch-de/Motherboa...HelpDesk_BIOS/

Version 5008
2019/07/01 9.97 MBytes
ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING BIOS 5008
Update new AGESA to improve compatibility;
Recommend updating the BIOS via EZ Flash.

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards...HelpDesk_BIOS/

Associate
Manual overclocking is a waste of time. You drop your shiny new Ryzen into its socket and let the advanced algorithms do the work for you more efficiently.
As long as it works as good as they make it sound, I prefer to use PBO. It really depends if its actually more efficient than manual OC.

Soldato
Also the Crosshair VII Hero is less than half the price of the Crosshair VIII Formula.

Obviously you'll get PCIE 4.0 but I really struggle to see that it's going to be significantly better.

Back
Top Bottom