sound wall panels

Man of Honour
That's too much of an open-ended question.

There are a few things to bear in mind before embarking down this road. First, cheaper panels tend to be less effective. Even if you spent the same budget on cheap product versus GIK, and so ended up with many more 'foam tiles' for your money, you'd probably end up with worse sound in the room because it would kill the top end and still leave you with midrange and bass problems. In this game the lump hammer does not win. The scalpel is the better tool.

Second, you really need to understand what's happening with the room acoustics for the various seating positions before throwing money at the problem. There are some manufacturers who can assist with this whereas a lot of others are simply resellers who hope that placebo will do the heavy lifting. "Know thy supplier well."

Finally, if you want to do this for a lower cost then have a think about making large products such as bass traps. Built correctly, they'll be just as effective as any commercial product.

Soldato
DIY

Get some Rockwool rw45, build a wee frame, then stretch and staple your chose fabric over.

Simples, effective and cheap.

Man of Honour
There is nothing else in the room except a chair, just carpeted floor

I would suggest you do quite a lot of reading on the subject of acoustic treatments. Look in to the different applications of absorbers, diffusers and bass traps. Also look at the way sound waves bounce around in an enclosed space. Your goal is to help the sound energy dissipate in a way that mimics what happens in a far more open space.

High-frequency sound waves die away quickly, but killed too early results in a dead sounding space that feels unnatural. It's over-damped. A better solution is to scatter the early reflections.As the frequencies fall you'll move progressively towards absorption. Bass passes through foam products. You need a floppy surface absorber to deal with bass energy from floorstanders and subs.

Do your research first rather than simply asking "what's cheap that works". There are lots of vids on YouTube where someone has used foam tiles, and just because it made a change then they perceive it has worked. Just different is not the same as making an improvement.

OcUK Staff
I used GIK acoustics in combination with consultation with Meridian Audio who supplied all my home Cinema Kit. You will need various products, but a thorough understanding is important to get the correct ones placed correctly.

Soldato
OP
Not going to pay for audio investigator what I'll try is putting thick duvet on the wall see if that helps the echoes and then look for cheap panels.

I don't think bass is a problem, as the cinema sounds ok in highs and lows. Just the hifi room but echoey. Not as bad as a bathroom though

Associate
Did you not read any of the above. You got to be trolling. Learn how your 2 channel/multi room setup interacts with your room. Learn where the first point of reflection and second are in your room. Effective acoustic treatment is based on knowing the sound acoustic attributes of your room and effectively using a combination of diffusers and asorbers where needed also the density of the material used for the treatment plays a major part.

Duvet on the wall= Audio Chav.

Soldato
OP
Did you not read any of the above. You got to be trolling. Learn how your 2 channel/multi room setup interacts with your room. Learn where the first point of reflection and second are in your room. Effective acoustic treatment is based on knowing the sound acoustic attributes of your room and effectively using a combination of diffusers and asorbers where needed also the density of the material used for the treatment plays a major part.

Go to uni do PhD in audio befor knowing what to do, are YOU trolling?

Not really about duvet try it out, no expense see if reduces clapping echo if it does then those sound panels be ok

Man of Honour

This is what he does; he asks for information but then completely ignores it because the answers aren't the answers he wants to hear. It's like talking to a brick wall.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Go to uni do PhD in audio befor knowing what to do, are YOU trolling?

Not really about duvet try it out, no expense see if reduces clapping echo if it does then those sound panels be ok

That's an incredibly stupid and ignorant thing to write. No one has suggested that a PhD is required, just get a little knowledge. But it seems you'd far rather throw your teddy bear out of the cot rather than listen to good advice from people who've been there and bought the tee-shirt. What's more, you're actually insulting those who have answered your call for help.

Honestly, I don't understand why you bother with this forum. It seems all you use it for is to show off about the size of the subs you own. From what I can see from reading your past posts, you don't seem that interested in listening to what other people need, and you demonstrate time and again that you've no interest in offering them practical solutions. Further more, on the odd occasion you post for help you seen to regularly throw any help back in the faces of those who do you the courtesy of offering a reply.

Fine, go put a duvet up. All you'll do is kill the top end, just as we predicted. You'll then go off and buy way-more cheap foam panels than you really need, and plaster the room in them unnecessarily. All the while you'll be patting yourself on the back how clever you are that you did this without reading up on the subject and how you were "right all along". There's a name for this sort of behaviour. It's called confirmation bias.

Associate
Not going to pay for audio investigator what I'll try is putting thick duvet on the wall see if that helps the echoes and then look for cheap panels.

The single most stupidest thing I have ever read.

That's an incredibly stupid and ignorant thing to write... Snip.

Without a shadow of doubt the greatest smackdown post I have read on the internet.

Associate
As above, you can't just throw acoustic panels at walls without taking proper measurements. Doing so could cause more issues then it actually solves.

There is another way - Room EQ

There is a few alternatives here.

MiniDSP with REW
MiniDSP with Dirac
Lyngdorf RP1 (Room Perfect) - would need to buy used. Cost would be around 1k.

Other option is to buy an Amp/AVR with Dirac built in.

Room EQ is better in the home setup as it meets with wife approval. Panels are best left for dedicated spaces.

Soldato
OP
Mate has lent me four aocustic panels so going to try them out.

Also isn't it best to sort the room out rather trying to use eq? I've had the same system ina too with furnishings and it sounds great so I know it's the new room is too empty.

Associate
If you have room EQ you don't need panels. The room correction is done before any sound leaves the speakers.

It's well worth some research if you find yourself with little to do one evening. It's the single best upgrade you could ever make to a 2 channel setup.

Back
Top Bottom