Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Interesting that you clay straight after washing without rinsing first. Most posts I've read on this seem to recommend wash then rinse then clay with a lubricant, with another rinse being optional at that point?

Or have you just missed out the rinsing steps, as reading again you've not mentioned rinse steps?

Total amateur talking.

Sorry yes as part of usual two bucket wash you rinse at the end to clear the soap/suds left

Caporegime
Interesting video here on not using buckets for washing a car and doing the whole lot with a pressure washer / foam cannon. I'm really bought into this idea and will try it at the weekend, I think. Looks so simple and easy.

The upshot is that you use a few mitts but don't have water or shampoo in buckets.

You rinse with jet washer, cover car in foam (car shampoo + foam), wash with mitts, rinse with pressure washer. So in other words like snow foaming stage but with shampoo and washing before rinsing. Got to be quick.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Interesting video here on not using buckets for washing a car and doing the whole lot with a pressure washer / foam cannon. I'm really bought into this idea and will try it at the weekend, I think. Looks so simple and easy.

I prefer my method of using 1 cheap microfiber per panel and discarding, dont need loads of wash mits then and who cares if a cheap microfiber gets dropped or you give the arches a good clean, just chuck it in the bin.

Nem

Nem

Associate
So, had a few light scratches on the car which my friend said he wold sort out. He's worked in a body shop for years, came with a rotary and did indeed get most of the scratches out, but it's left terrible rotary polishing marks which I want to sort out. I've got a DA polisher and some different grades of Menzerna polish which I've used over the years but so far it's not really improved it. Not sure if it's my technique with the DA, the polishing compound or the pads I'm using which are quite basic ones, but is there any guidelines on how to tackle this?

Is using the DA going to help, and if so any recommendations on pads or compound? Seen some of the hex cut ones might be better?

Thanks

Nem

Nem

Associate
This was straight afterwards and is now 50% better after the time with the DA already but still very visible. The bonnet is the largest area by far, but there are another 5-6 small patches over the car the same.

Caporegime
Sigh, everyone's got a mate like that who knows what they're doing, except doesn't.

Working in a body shop would put me off in most cases, based on my experiences with some of the individuals that work in them.

Not very helpful to you mind, but I had to get that off my chest!

Soldato
Can anyone suggest a decent interior cleaner for the cloth arm rests on a vw polo as well as the cloth seats they have what I can only assume is sweat marks on them. Also any products that can get scuffs out of door plastics and chewing gum out of carpets. (do not ever have kids :D )

Man of Honour

The upshot is that you use a few mitts but don't have water or shampoo in buckets.

You rinse with jet washer, cover car in foam (car shampoo + foam), wash with mitts, rinse with pressure washer. So in other words like snow foaming stage but with shampoo and washing before rinsing. Got to be quick.

I mean I guess if you're not that bothered about swirl marks or scratches then that would save you time, but anyone who cares about their paintwork in the slightest wouldn't do that

Sgarrista
Commissario
This was straight afterwards and is now 50% better after the time with the DA already but still very visible. The bonnet is the largest area by far, but there are another 5-6 small patches over the car the same.

I would use some M105 on a soft pad and then some M205 on an ultra soft pad, only small amounts and with very little pressure, just let the compounds do the work.

Associate
Started trying to sort out the horribly neglected paint on the Z4 that I bought. Not used a DA for ages so getting used to it again but hoping to get most of the car done tomorrow!

2u4tvl4.jpg

Soldato
Sounds like a normal two bucket wash process to me, in that respect?

Rinse, two bucket wash, rinse again. Same but with pressure washer.
Again, isn't it just the same as a normal two bucket wash without snow foam first?

It is in a sense yes.. but normally everyone recommends prewash before a two bucket wash. This is no safer than two bucket and probably takes the same amount of time because of time it takes to get foam ready, foaming, pressure washer etc the dip of the mitt in 2nd bucket and another dip in suds doesn't take all that long and is probably one of the safest ways to wash after a prewash stage. This misses that completely and runs straight to dirt removal aka contact wash when car is at its worst.

Soldato
Sometimes, when I'm pressed for time and the car isn't especially dirty I skip the buckets entirely and use this instead:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/£10-00-Monza-Snow-Foam-Foamaster/dp/B00I74D3U0/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_263_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CXAT6F04QN02EVFDPZ0V

I still snowfoam for pre-wash and rinse, but then rather than buckets I get a wash mit plus the above and go around the car with this. I think it's a decent solution because you have a constant supply of clean soapy water as I keep it spraying into the mit as I wash over the car. After each panel, simply rinse down the mit with it to knock off any severe dirt before going back to the car.

It's definitely NOT a snow foam gun (and the last picture on the Amazon page is clearly from a proper snow foam lance) but as a tool to feed clean soapy water during a contact wash it's excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom