• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Soldato
This new card better had be special, or at a special price, because the console rumours are that they are getting better and better:

https://wccftech.com/playstation-5-apu-better-performance-gtx-1080/

By the time the PS5 is released, it will be outdated. Sony, after the abomination which was the fat PS3 launch, will not take a loss on a console again to that degree.

The only titles which will be technical marvels on it will be Sony exclusive titles optimised to the hilt and looking amazing at <30fps.

PC gaming will always be superior due to control scheme variation (M+KB), custom resolutions, custom aspect ratios for monitors, modding communities etc.
I played Witcher 3 at true 4k/60fps with immersive HUD and 3D map markers. without those things, I would not have enjoyed the game anywhere near as much [for an example]. Thats a very lightly modded game.
Similarly I played ROTR at 4k/60fps and the shooting was honestly only even possible on the hardest difficulty due to M+KB. I tried gamepad for AGES but it just wasn't good enough.

______

Do we have a date for the super announcement?

Caporegime
By the time the PS5 is released, it will be outdated. Sony, after the abomination which was the fat PS3 launch, will not take a loss on a console again to that degree.

The only titles which will be technical marvels on it will be Sony exclusive titles optimised to the hilt and looking amazing at <30fps.

PC gaming will always be superior due to control scheme variation (M+KB), custom resolutions, custom aspect ratios for monitors, modding communities etc.
I played Witcher 3 at true 4k/60fps with immersive HUD and 3D map markers. without those things, I would not have enjoyed the game anywhere near as much [for an example]. Thats a very lightly modded game.
Similarly I played ROTR at 4k/60fps and the shooting was honestly only even possible on the hardest difficulty due to M+KB. I tried gamepad for AGES but it just wasn't good enough.

______

Do we have a date for the super announcement?
No one ever said console gaming would be "better" in absolute terms. For an unlimited budget, PC gaming will always win.

But there are going to be more and more people put off by the asking price.

And the console experience is going to get better, like it or not.

Associate
hmm, looking at reviews, the 2060 and 2070 super look to be about a 10 - 15 % faster, for slightly more money in the case of the 60 and the same money in the case of the 70. Seems fairly underwhelming, but to me at least these feel like what we should have got first time round with the 20 series cards :rolleyes:

Soldato
hmm, looking at reviews, the 2060 and 2070 super look to be about a 10 - 15 % faster, for slightly more money in the case of the 60 and the same money in the case of the 70. Seems fairly underwhelming, but to me at least these feel like what we should have got first time round with the 20 series cards :rolleyes:

My feelings also.

The lack of a 2080 super release date is really frustrating as thats the card I want.

The RTX 2070 super looks like decent value. Its 1080ti/2080 performance at hopefully £<500 price tag which is what we've been asking for.
Still expensive but given my 2080 is able to handle 4k gaming. its safe to say we're probably only one more refresh away from 4k/60 gaming for anyone in the mid-range budget.

Soldato
I think AMD are royally stuffed on the GPU front. Nvidia have played this so aggressively. They really want to put the nail in the coffin for AMD when it comes to GPUs.

Soldato
Do we know how long it will take for price drops for other cards to appear? I’m thinking the 2080ti? Or is this wishful thinking

There is no 2080ti super. I'm not sure if the 2080 super will really touch the 2080ti. I think they're content to protect the 2080ti and release a 2080ti super in 6 months time for a final cash grab before they release the 3000 series.

At least Nvidia have at last decided to settle on a new pricing structure rather than continuously increasing the prices every refresh.

Back
Top Bottom