Replace calipers in pairs?

Soldato
Would you replace them in pairs or just 1 at a time when an issue arises ?

I've got a seized rear caliper on the Swift, ordered a replacement but ended up getting the other side first due to a listing error so i've actually got both sides now. It'd be worth about £100 refund if i send it back so i'm thinking of doing that and just replacing the borked one.

Generally i do like to replace things in pairs, brake pads and discs obviously and suspension stuff.

(this is pending changing the faulty one and then not snapping the bleed nipples off the other ones and needing to replace them anyway...)

Caporegime
I think I’d take the circumstances into account. If the caliper had seized due to age related issues/corrosion then the second is likely not far off needing replacement or refurbishment anyway, so I’d do both.

If the failure was a one-off mechanical failure or caused by some external influence then I’d happily replace just the one.

Soldato
You should be able to check that the other caliper is moving freely.

The rear brakes on a Swift will be doing ****** all anyway unless you always run with all of the seats occupied and the boot full. Did you actually notice the seized brake while driving? It probably only has discs rather than drums for cosmetic reasons.

Soldato
You should be able to check that the other caliper is moving freely.

The rear brakes on a Swift will be doing ****** all anyway unless you always run with all of the seats occupied and the boot full. Did you actually notice the seized brake while driving? It probably only has discs rather than drums for cosmetic reasons.

Why would the load in the vehicle affect braking bias? :confused:

Soldato
Nothing necessarily to do with brake bias. A fully loaded vehicle will put more load onto the brakes at both ends.

When you've got a small light car that isn't loaded the rear brakes don't tend to be doing much at all under normal use.

Soldato
OP
The other caliper is fine and free moving, it's a 2012 car with 62k on the clock so wasn't expecting it really.

The disc only had a very small contact patch which is why i changed them as i suspected there was an issue, i was hoping it was just the carriers had got gunked up with rust but turned out to be a stuck piston.

It's the sport version but i agree the brakes don't need to do much work on the car even when driven hard, i don't think i'd want drums on the back when doing track days though.

Soldato
I think I’d take the circumstances into account. If the caliper had seized due to age related issues/corrosion then the second is likely not far off needing replacement or refurbishment anyway, so I’d do both.

If the failure was a one-off mechanical failure or caused by some external influence then I’d happily replace just the one.

What paradigm said.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I did both fronts when one seized. As mentioned, the other is not going to be far off. There are online companies that will refurb yours for decent money.

Back
Top Bottom