• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Sandy, Ivy and Haswell (Hazzy?) Upgrade Thread

Soldato
I am going to buy either a 2080 super or 2080ti for my 4770k. It runs core and uncore and 4300mhz and 16gb of 2400mhz 1T is still good. The system seems really nippy too with HPET off i game at 50us and idle at 5us so Latencymon is saying its still very very good. What kind of apps or games so you need away from the 4770k for? I would be happy putting in a 3080 card with my 4770k if RTX and 4K is the thing my CPU will not matter as much.

I have a 4670k upstairs and feel like its obsolete for 100hz gaming. Am I just totally wrong?

I'm thinking of going ultrawide and was going to build an entire new rig but am I better off just buying the graphics card for the 4670k rig?

Permabanned
I have a 4670k upstairs and feel like its obsolete for 100hz gaming. Am I just totally wrong?

I'm thinking of going ultrawide and was going to build an entire new rig but am I better off just buying the graphics card for the 4670k rig?

With my uncore clocks and 1T 2400mhz ram i am actually equal in benchmarks to the 4790k which was a 4.4ghz chip. You lack Hyperthreading also i see it depends. The chip depending on the game reaches way above 100fps in Overwatch at 4k sometimes you see 175 to 180fps on my 1080.

Its utterly game dependant a good engine will be fine but others will show about 25% with Hyperthreading. What clocks is the chip at btw? If you are saying 4.4ghz or so it might still hold out.

Soldato
Think I'm coming up to new build time too - think I've had the current build over 5 years without a single upgrade, which is the longest anything has lasted me.

I don't game on it anymore, it simply cant handle it, but I'm thinking for £1500 I could build something reasonable.

Soldato
Think I'm coming up to new build time too - think I've had the current build over 5 years without a single upgrade, which is the longest anything has lasted me.

I don't game on it anymore, it simply cant handle it, but I'm thinking for £1500 I could build something reasonable.

Depends on you whatneed, cpu, motherboard and Ram? Or everything including a GPU and PSU.

Soldato
CPU, MB, RAM and a GPU, possibly an SSD, and some new cooling...

Screw it, basically I have a case and a PSU it seems. Maybe £2k.

Associate

The problem you have is the sli 780's, switch them out with a modern single card and you'll have excellent gaming performance when coupled with that sandy hex core and clocks. You're currently sitting somewhere between a ryzen 1600 and 2600 albeit without the new features they bring.

Associate
4790k here at 4.8ghz. Rocking a Z97s Krait.

Or at least I was. I got a 2600k at launch and that lasted up until the end of 2015. I decided to upgrade on skylakes launch but my trust 2600k bit the dust. Years at 5Ghz and high volts did that, but it owed me nothing.

So a few months before skylake launched I got a nice black white build done and a 4690k,which I soon ditched for a 4790k. That chip would do 5Ghz on water but would do 4.8ghz on low volts.

And I just sold it.

As solid as that chip still is in games its still 4 years old and times have moved. No Rgb, slow Nvme and slower ram to say the least. So I sold my board ram and cpu for £350.

Thats now funding my Ryzen build.... Unless prices are awful in which case a 9700k is coming my way.

I've waited so long because until the 8th Gen launch Intel literally offered nothing new for me. Slightly better ipc maybe but not garuntee of such a good overclocking chip.

Ryzen appealed big time and I own a 1700 in my cad rig but in gaming boy oh boy did it not work out with my 980Ti. 20-30% drop in some games.

If Zen 2 gives Haswell IPC at 4.4-4.7ghz on 6-8 cores then AMD can shut up and take my money.

Soldato
4790k here at 4.8ghz. Rocking a Z97s Krait.

Or at least I was. I got a 2600k at launch and that lasted up until the end of 2015. I decided to upgrade on skylakes launch but my trust 2600k bit the dust. Years at 5Ghz and high volts did that, but it owed me nothing.

So a few months before skylake launched I got a nice black white build done and a 4690k,which I soon ditched for a 4790k. That chip would do 5Ghz on water but would do 4.8ghz on low volts.

And I just sold it.

As solid as that chip still is in games its still 4 years old and times have moved. No Rgb, slow Nvme and slower ram to say the least. So I sold my board ram and cpu for £350.

Thats now funding my Ryzen build.... Unless prices are awful in which case a 9700k is coming my way.

I've waited so long because until the 8th Gen launch Intel literally offered nothing new for me. Slightly better ipc maybe but not garuntee of such a good overclocking chip.

Ryzen appealed big time and I own a 1700 in my cad rig but in gaming boy oh boy did it not work out with my 980Ti. 20-30% drop in some games.

If Zen 2 gives Haswell IPC at 4.4-4.7ghz on 6-8 cores then AMD can shut up and take my money.

surely we need more than haswell IPC?? ...! I was hoping for current intel IPC... am i asking for too much?

Caporegime
from what we seen geekbench it puts the new amd cpus at a non k 8700 single ipc. will wait for more benchmarks then see how the pricing is at launch before deciding.

TrM

TrM

Associate
we already went through this the other day the 3600 scores in geekbench between a 8700 non k and a 8700k. got friends to run geekbench to compare aswell

I keep seeing you keep posting the same thing and people just seem to continue but I do have to ask you though

The major geek bench leaks we’ve seen are from 3600 etc not as many from 3800x and 3900x but the amd entry level cpu coming close to a 8700k a good starting point for amd coming close to a generation old intel flagship mainstream cpu?

When u consider that i7 8700k used on the auction site is 265 cheapest I could find and overclockersuk sell it for 349.99atm

As for the rest of the line reviews will tell us more but I do feel for a entry level cpu the 3600 has put amd on the right track

Caporegime
i guess it depends where you coming from. what you upgrading from and if you just buying new.

i dont think a 8700 at £200 is that great tbh. why ? its two years old its six cores. 8 i would have said amazing 6 50 / 50. especially when you factor in dearer mobos than intel and better dearer ram to get the best out of them.

i think they are good for people on lower end ryzens but for everyone else bit too pricey for a 6 core. yeah yeah we know how much a 8700 is now but you could have had that same 8700 for 2 years ! so by the time you change your 3600 you will change the 8700 and the 8700 would have had more life. value. cheaper mobos. cheaper ram.

if they can get some budget mobos out like amd normally does they will shift. if you have to buy a £200 board why bother ? you just buy 2nd 8700 and budget board new cheaper ram and probably be most of the part faster at most things you really use your pc for. not many people use more than 6 cores. hell many dont even use 4. so mobos need to come down for the 3600 to work unless every person on older ryzen is buying them.

Associate
surely we need more than haswell IPC?? ...! I was hoping for current intel IPC... am i asking for too much?

Oh it'll be close. But haswell ipc and single core was right up there with the 6 & 7 generation, it's not as behind as people think.

My point was I'd be happy with similar performance with more cores and the platform upgrades. I reality I suspect it to be more.

Back
Top Bottom