Gardeners, why so spendy?

Caporegime
My mum got quoted by three "traveller types" 800 quid to clear her London 3bed terraced house 100-foot garden. One day work they said too....
Insane prices. Was just a load of overgrown bushes on both sides.

Associate
Disposal costs are the killer with gardening, you'll also be surprised how much garden waste actually weighs.

My new property has a 100m garden that was overgrown up to my waist with no trees, only shrubs and 2 conifers. So far the running total is six 8 yard skips at £225 each and three grab lorries at £200. The soil extracted alone to level the land and from post footings was nearly 20 tonnes.

Add to that it's back breaking (and dangerous) work and the equipment costs a bomb. I've definitely got a new respect for the costs involved if that's your trade.

Associate
Could be that they are fairly busy and doing a couple hour job wouldn't really be worth it so are just pricing it at something to make it worth while over the actual cost?

Soldato
Where do you live?

I'd recommend finding out if you've a local community Facebook group and pop a request on there. Offer £60 and someone will turn up and do it for you.

Then, do you not have a garden waste bin? Just dispose of it in there even if it takes a few goes :)

Soldato
The problem with cheap is that typically, round here, they do that by saving on the disposal costs..

We have the same system as someone described above, you can tip for free if you're in a non commercial vehicle, otherwise you need a license, which you obviously pay for.

Soldato
It depends on whether they are just chopping it down & loading it on the truck or shredding it. Shreddings can be spread over the garden like a thick mulch, in a few weeks it will have gone completely

Soldato
Not gardening I admit but it did involve removal of turf and some soil when I had a shed base laid. I stupidly did not realise that the very reasonable price quoted did not include taking away the turf etc, and that was a pain in the bum as the council are just not interested and it is not considered garden waste.
So the next time I had some slabs laid I made sure that removal was include and of course the price reflected that as it required a mini skip at £150, but at least the job was complete.

Soldato
Whilst it's cheap, many companies also require waste carrier licenses. Many gardeners can get away with the low tier one, which iirc is free but equally as many need a higher tier one.

The prices don't seem too bad in my opinion.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies. I had a chap over last night to take a look, seemed like a stand-up guy. Wanted £220 so I gave him the go-ahead. It's still a lot and people are so cagy about explaining costs.

"How long do you think it'll take?"
"A full day probably"
"A full 8 hour day? wow"
"Well, I try not to work 8 hours..."

Me: "I know it's £26 per half tonne down the tip"
"I'll probably take it away and put it through a chipper and compost it"

When I did it myself, I took it all down and stacked it up, let it dry out for a week or two and made a bonfire. Not being able to do stuff yourself definitely sucks, I'm only early 40s with the physical abilities of an 80 yr old.

Anyways, thanks for all the input.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies. I had a chap over last night to take a look, seemed like a stand-up guy. Wanted £220 so I gave him the go-ahead. It's still a lot and people are so cagy about explaining costs.

"How long do you think it'll take?"
"A full day probably"
"A full 8 hour day? wow"
"Well, I try not to work 8 hours..."

Me: "I know it's £26 per half tonne down the tip"
"I'll probably take it away and put it through a chipper and compost it"

When I did it myself, I took it all down and stacked it up, let it dry out for a week or two and made a bonfire. Not being able to do stuff yourself definitely sucks, I'm only early 40s with the physical abilities of an 80 yr old.

Anyways, thanks for all the input.

I just got rid of 4 tall 4" thick trees.
I bought a Jaw-Saw to chop them down.
Then cut it up and put it in my garden waste bin.

Don't you have council garden waste bins?

Back
Top Bottom